OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I like all of those except for the nuance of #1. Coaches should be able to challenge and put a penalty on the board if there is no penalty called for DOG. With the rule as written, we're gonna have a bunch of DOG's called by refs with their own thinking "well the coach can challenge if we're wrong so we should err on the side of penalizing"

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
While I'm not totally dismissing goalie equipment reductions leading to the increase in scoring, it's not 100% the culprit. People are underselling how much expansion has diluted the talent in the league (especially Dmen and Goalies)
also rule changes, or more correctly same rules called more like they should be. remember around the time of goalie equipment size reduction the NHL made an effort to stop hooking/slashing/obstruction that was rampant early in sid's career. heck he had his chiclets knocked out in philly with no penalty. league has transformed to allow skilled players more time and space, it's not a complete transformation but enough of one to help scoring to go up.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
If Sid and Malkin 1) played their primes in today's high scoring era and 2) played together as much as McDrai do, then Sid would have put up 140+ pt seasons all while playing a more complete game. Malkin would have done the same. Can you imagine 2012 Malkin, who put up 50 goals and was on pace for 120pts, playing in today's league with Sid attached to his hip for half his shift's? No way he's not scoring 140pts and 55+ goals at least.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Recency bias is a real thing. When I recently went back to watch Sid and Malkin highlights when they were younger, I was surprised at how dominant they actually were and how often they made jaw dropping plays on a nightly basis. Plays like this for instance:

Edit: This video also perfectly encapsulates the Pens winger situation during Sid and Geno's prime. "Luca Caputi sleeps with the fishes"

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Way too much orange. Black pants and helmet would go a long way here
The issue I have is they took their original orange and chose the Flyers Orange as their new primary color and ignored the mallard green that was on the Mighty Ducks jersey which compliments the Orange really well.

I like the logo tweak and change but the Flyer Orange change is awful. Wait for the Ducks Vs Flyers game to get a visual headache.

If Sid and Malkin 1) played their primes in today's high scoring era and 2) played together as much as McDrai do, then Sid would have put up 140+ pt seasons all while playing a more complete game. Malkin would have done the same. Can you imagine 2012 Malkin, who put up 50 goals and was on pace for 120pts, playing in today's league with Sid attached to his hip for half his shift's? No way he's not scoring 140pts and 55+ goals at least.
Sid, Ovechkin, and Geno dominated an era where the scoring was low and you barely had more than 3 players with 100pt seasons. Mcdavid greatly benefits from a higher scoring era. The league has had almost ten 100+ point players in a couple of the seasons.

Like for f*** sakes, Kucherov had 100 assists this season. 100 f***ing assists. The higher scoring era the last 7-8 seasons has been nuts.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The last time the NHL had anyone put up 100 assists twice in a season was the f***ing 80s where goalies were comically bad for the majority and their pads were 1/4 of the size of the ones today.

1988-89 was the last time two players had 100 or more assists and it was Mario and Wayne at 114 each.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Ratings way up for game 7. It’s almost like if they make the game fast and entertaining people will watch? I love that scoring is up. I think it’s a freakin tragedy we didn’t get to see Sid and Geno in this league.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Ratings way up for game 7. It’s almost like if they make the game fast and entertaining people will watch? I love that scoring is up. I think it’s a freakin tragedy we didn’t get to see Sid and Geno in this league.
The games were fun but the officiating was just the absolute worst. It's funny how each year these GM meetings they never want to talk about fixing the officiating and this idiotic need to officiate two sets of rules of regular season vs playoffs.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The games were fun but the officiating was just the absolute worst. It's funny how each year these GM meetings they never want to talk about fixing the officiating and this idiotic need to officiate two sets of rules of regular season vs playoffs.
I haven’t done a study, but it seems like they call more penalties during the playoffs than they used to. Not like an October game, but teams aren’t limited to 1-2 pp/game like it was in the past.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I haven’t done a study, but it seems like they call more penalties during the playoffs than they used to. Not like an October game, but teams aren’t limited to 1-2 pp/game like it was in the past.
I feel like in some series yeah, but others not so much and the calls that they consistently called in the regular season they don't in the playoffs but then they will for some teams, it's just awful inconsistency.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Recency bias is a real thing. When I recently went back to watch Sid and Malkin highlights when they were younger, I was surprised at how dominant they actually were and how often they made jaw dropping plays on a nightly basis. Plays like this for instance:

Edit: This video also perfectly encapsulates the Pens winger situation during Sid and Geno's prime. "Luca Caputi sleeps with the fishes"

Strips a player at his blue line, makes the other defender fall, dekes Atlanta's best dman through the legs, gets his own rebound to pass to an open man falling down.. yea Geno was pretty good. That was relatively down year for him too.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Malkin was on pace for 140+ when he played with Crosby for the first 20 or so games of 08-09 under Therrien.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Malkin was on pace for 140+ when he played with Crosby for the first 20 or so games of 08-09 under Therrien.
Some people around here always said it didn't work having them on the same line, as in they didn't play that well together. I guess they said that because they didn't score on every shift they played together - but they were totally dominant. It just made more sense to spread the wealth.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Some people around here always said it didn't work having them on the same line, as in they didn't play that well together. I guess they said that because they didn't score on every shift they played together - but they were totally dominant. It just made more sense to spread the wealth.
Yeah they were unstoppable together. For some stretch of seasons in their prime, their 5v5 GF per 60 minutes together was over 5, which is absurd.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Thanks- that's what I seem to remember. Sid/Geno barely were together at ES. McD and Drai seemed to be on the ice together a TON
There’s no way Sid and Geno had a lot of ES TOI together for the single fact that they were double teamed a bunch during those playoffs. I remember how the Penguins dressed 7 defensemen for a lot of those 2009 playoffs.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yeah they were unstoppable together. For some stretch of seasons in their prime, their 5v5 GF per 60 minutes together was over 5, which is absurd.

Oh yea, when Therrien put them together, you could not get the puck if you were on the other team. They had it the entire freakin shift even if they didn't score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad