OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Trade for Connelly, Mailloux, hell why not sign Miller as well. Go balls deep into being an absolute loser of a franchise.
I don't think the trial for those Team Canada WJC players has started yet, so maybe Edmonton can sign them for this upcoming season to help the poor lads pay for their legal bills.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Feels like a JR contract. Overpay, max term, a NMC for first 6 years.

I get the cap will go up quite a bit but Philly went 0/3 negotiating $$$, term and clauses.

It's a pretty decent contract I think (good market value) and they can afford to pay a little more considering they won't have any real cap issues even in year 5 of that deal. Say Michkov turns into Kaprizov/Panarin levels of great, or even Geno/Ovy levels, they can give him max and still be fine. A team like that can pay a little more to keep someone like him.

The last 2 seasons Konecny has really started to come into his own offensively, back to back 30+ goal seasons, would have topped 70+ in pts if healthy.

Edit: I hate that there's no good alternative yet to Capfriendly, Capwages is ok and so is Puckpedia but neither really compares.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's a pretty decent contract I think (good market value) and they can afford to pay a little more considering they won't have any real cap issues even in year 5 of that deal. Say Michkov turns into Kaprizov/Panarin levels of great, or even Geno/Ovy levels, they can give him max and still be fine. A team like that can pay a little more to keep someone like him.

The last 2 seasons Konecny has really started to come into his own offensively, back to back 30+ goal seasons, would have topped 70+ in pts if healthy.

He’s a good player for sure I’m more saying that contract feels like a no risk contract but maybe in 2-3 years might not look great when I assume they’ll really want to start pushing for deeper playoff runs.

Seems like bad negotiating from the Flyers but that’s not something we’d complain about 😂

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He’s a good player for sure I’m more saying that contract feels like a no risk contract but maybe in 2-3 years might not look great when I assume they’ll really want to start pushing for deeper playoff runs.

Seems like bad negotiating from the Flyers but that’s not something we’d complain about 😂
Yeah I mean when it starts looking bad, the Pens will still be ass so we can at least point and laugh at their woes to make our pain less painful.

I'm actually shocked the Flyers didn't trade Couturier, I would have figured they'd try to dump that contract asap when he was back to being healthy, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think I've ever seen a more obnoxious bunch than the Crosby Hater Crew in that McDavid/Crosby thread.
I always laugh at blokes that say McDavid is better, we all know what Crosby was trending towards from 2010-2013 before his neck/concussion issues made him change his game more. He was known as a fairly good 200ft player before that, but his offense was off the charts insane. When he came back, he was more focused on the 200ft aspect of his game and the finer grinder details he perfected while putting up some very damn good offensive numbers, but nothing close to his production from 2010-2013 when he was finally scraping the highest end of his f***ing immense potential.

During one of the worst scoring era's no less.

McDavid is putting up insane numbers in a comically high scoring era that rivals the 80's and early 90's.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Anyone know if that woman singing the French national anthem for the Olympic opening ceremonies is the same woman who did the opera style anthems during that game in Ottawa back in the day? The one where everyone was laughing? Looks like the same person.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I always laugh at blokes that say McDavid is better, we all know what Crosby was trending towards from 2010-2013 before his neck/concussion issues made him change his game more. He was known as a fairly good 200ft player before that, but his offense was off the charts insane. When he came back, he was more focused on the 200ft aspect of his game and the finer grinder details he perfected while putting up some very damn good offensive numbers, but nothing close to his production from 2010-2013 when he was finally scraping the highest end of his f***ing immense potential.

During one of the worst scoring era's no less.

McDavid is putting up insane numbers in a comically high scoring era that rivals the 80's and early 90's.
The fact they refuse to acknowledge the scoring environment change is just pathetic. There's a reason that there's a dozen guys getting 100+ points nowadays, but during Crosby's peak only the actual elite of the elite ended up with 100 (and it was usually one or more of Sid, Ovechkin or Geno).

The fact that guys like Pastrnak and Panarin are putting up better point totals than prime Geno or Ovechkin should tell you all you need to know about today's scoring. When THREE guys score 130+ points in the same season, a feat that none of Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin came close to scoring, that should be an indication of just how much easier it is to score nowadays.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The fact they refuse to acknowledge the scoring environment change is just pathetic. There's a reason that there's a dozen guys getting 100+ points nowadays, but during Crosby's peak only the actual elite of the elite ended up with 100 (and it was usually one or more of Sid, Ovechkin or Geno).

The fact that guys like Pastrnak and Panarin are putting up better point totals than prime Geno or Ovechkin should tell you all you need to know about today's scoring. When THREE guys score 130+ points in the same season, a feat that none of Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin came close to scoring, that should be an indication of just how much easier it is to score nowadays.
So much easier to score and yet somehow the Pens suck at it lol….thanks Mike Sullivan

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012

I feel like an idiot constantly bringing it up in other threads , but the vast majority of people have no idea the goalie gear drastically got smaller in the 2017-18 season. Height and width of the pads , width of the pants is a huge one. Shoulder pads more streamlined. This basically did in Matt Murray. PPG players quadrupled. The entire scoring landscape changed. I have little doubt Crosby and Malkin could have cleared 160 if this had happened earlier, but maybe I’m biased

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think a lot of people forget just how insane prime Sid and Geno were, partially because they (Sid especially) lost their prime years to serious injury. If Sid had been healthy he's probably sitting at like 1780ish points.

McDavid might hold a slight edge in terms of pure offensive talent but if you put a healthy, prime Sid in today's game, dude's probably hitting 150pts as well imo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think a lot of people forget just how insane prime Sid and Geno were, partially because they (Sid especially) lost their prime years to serious injury. If Sid had been healthy he's probably sitting at like 1780ish points.

McDavid might hold a slight edge in terms of pure offensive talent but if you put a healthy, prime Sid in today's game, dude's probably hitting 150pts as well imo.

It's weird how watching McDavid he's nowhere near as exciting as Sid, Malkin or Ovechkin in the mid 2000s.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like an idiot constantly bringing it up in other threads , but the vast majority of people have no idea the goalie gear drastically got smaller in the 2017-18 season. Height and width of the pads , width of the pants is a huge one. Shoulder pads more streamlined. This basically did in Matt Murray. PPG players quadrupled. The entire scoring landscape changed. I have little doubt Crosby and Malkin could have cleared 160 if this had happened earlier, but maybe I’m biased
Exactly.

These idiotic mouth breathers keep pointing at PP opportunities during Sid's early years versus today to say that gave him an edge, but fail to realize that the various rule changes (goalie equipment size, crackdown on slashes/hooks to the wrist, 3on3 OT, etc.) have a much greater impact on how difficult it is to score than just getting an extra minute or two on the PP per game.

It's like, if you take the 1980's goaltending/defensive structure but gave teams only 2 minutes of PP per game and you compared it to the Dead Puck Era but gave them 4 minutes of PP per game, no one in their right mind would say it would be much easier to score in the DPE because of the extra 2 minutes of PP time. But that's the type of "logic" those morons are using.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Exactly.

These idiotic mouth breathers keep pointing at PP opportunities during Sid's early years versus today to say that gave him an edge, but fail to realize that the various rule changes (goalie equipment size, crackdown on slashes/hooks to the wrist, 3on3 OT, etc.) have a much greater impact on how difficult it is to score than just getting an extra minute or two on the PP per game.

It's like, if you take the 1980's goaltending/defensive structure but gave teams only 2 minutes of PP per game and you compared it to the Dead Puck Era but gave them 4 minutes of PP per game, no one in their right mind would say it would be much easier to score in the DPE because of the extra 2 minutes of PP time. But that's the type of "logic" those morons are using.

Also have to take into account expansion, which dilutes the talent. McDavid entered the league with 2 expansion teams within 5 years.

Crosby came in 2006. Would be 10 years until he saw an expansion.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad