Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Dubois put on one of the best individual performances I've seen in quite some time. Not only the hat trick but he was trucking guys too. Just toying with the Leafs.

Credit to the CBJs for having the stones to take him when Puljujarvi would have been the easy, safe move.

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Dubois was brilliant. If I was him, I would pay a mercenary for extra protection in that bubble. After knocking Muzzin out of the series and then a hat trick, he needs to keep his head on a swivel.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Credit to the CBJs for having the stones to take him when Puljujarvi would have been the easy, safe move.

Jarmo passed on poolparty. He knew something everyone else didn't... he also values centers more than wingers (sound familiar)?

Love this:

From a nonfactor to basically slaying the Leafs in a game

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Another leaf choke. I guess having a love fest behind the bench, not yelling and playing Matthews every 2nd shift does not work. Maybe their GM will quit also after losing or maybe he will get fired.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With apologies to our Winnipeg posters, the Jets are about to be eliminated.

So of the confirmed teams, my preference would be NYR get Lafreniere over Winnipeg. Keep him out of the Central Division.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I don't know that Winnipeg will feel too hard done by that series result...losing Laine and Scheifele game 1 put them in a massive hole, as it would any team losing two such comparable pieces to their respective team.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Jarmo passed on poolparty. He knew something everyone else didn't... he also values centers more than wingers (sound familiar)?

Love this:

From a nonfactor to basically slaying the Leafs in a game

I honestly love Torts. He looks and reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis and is just as intense. I completely get where he shtick could get old but I feel in small markets like Columbus it lasts longer. If Lumbus sweeps Tampa in 19 and beats the Leafs in 20 I feel like they deserve a new trophy, the Stanley Mug.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Fine with Winnipeg getting the 1OA as I think it will always be hard for them to hold onto superstar UFAs. Just allows these guys to hit the open market quicker. I also like the build of the current Winnipeg team and the passion of the fans, despite the slander and abuse some gave to the gave this franchise.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
As far as my thoughts on who should win the lottery of the remaining teams who could still be eliminated:

- Chicago won a lottery to get Kane and won a lottery to get Dach
- Edmonton won a bunch of lotteries including an ultimate one
- Pittsburgh won an ultimate lottery and have been a dynasty in recent years
- Jets won a lottery to get Laine
- New York Rangers won a lottery to get Kakko
- Toronto won their lottery by literally being one of the few teams NOT getting screwed by the lottery to get Matthews
- Florida got screwed out of picking MacKinnon (Barkov a helluva consolation prize) but won the following year’s lottery to get Ekblad.

****​

- Islanders I wouldn’t hate, he would go to an Eastern team and the only 1st overall they’ve had in a while just recently left them in dramatic fashion. While I wouldn’t hate it, I would prefer to see someone who hasn’t picked 1st or 2nd recently.
- Montreal would be the perfect fit. The French Canadian going to the French Canadian market. Their fans deserve it. They sell out that arena every night and haven’t had true number one talent. That being said, they won a lottery to get Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 3rd overall (bumping us down to 5th in the process.) This one is a wash for me.
- Columbus won a lottery to get PLD in 2016, but they need an offensive dynamo as much as we do. Rick Nash was really their only notable offensive star player. I would be happy for them if they won, but they have been lucky in recent years.

Of the remaining qualifier teams that have a chance to be eliminated, that leaves us with Nashville, Vancouver, Minnesota and us.​

- Vancouver has been screwed by the lottery almost as much as we have, if not more. Do I want Lafreniere going there? Not really, they have EP, Hughes, and Boeser who are all potential superstars in their early 20’s. Do they deserve a shot at number one? Yes.

- Nashville deserves a shot at number 1, they haven’t had a ton of luck and I could see Lafreniere loving it there. I could see him in yellow, too.

- Minnesota is another deserving team. Beautiful place to play hockey and passionate fans, not a lot of stud offensive players and they haven’t necessarily been all that lucky.

- If eliminated, we definitely deserve a shot at number 1. We’ve never won a lottery, never picked first, and we are starving for goal scoring. On top of that, our fans have been the punching bag of the league for over a decade.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I dont particularly care where he goes, and hope wherever he lands he is successful. I dont think it does the league as a whole any good to have near-generational level talents like Eichel or Hughes go places like Buffalo or NJ and subsequently struggle or bust out. The league is a much better place for teams like teams like Vancouver hitting a winner on players like EP...it's what makes league parity possible, unlike a professional league like MLB where you have the same 3 or 4 teams outspending the other 26 to maintain "dynasties". That's uninspiring and uninteresting, imo.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ehhh there are at least five or six candidates I'd want before Tallon. Panthers fans aren't very sad to see him go. Getting up there in age too.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Les Canadiens have just eliminated the Pens.

A VERY HEALTHY PENGUINS TEAM, healthier than when they won some of their Stanley cups.

Congrats to Montreal, reminding us that two guys are always more important than anyone else in any franchise:

- the head coach
- the starting goalie

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Whoever suggested this would be 'black friday' with 6 elimination games potentially, we're halfway there.

(does take away game 5s, of course)

Reactions: rt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad