Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
They also signed Arvidsson which is one i like if Arvidsson can stay healthy (which is always an issue). Overall not liking the offseason for them outside of buying out campbell.... they really needed to upgrade their rhd and didnt accomplish that.
As long as we're not playing Edmonton in the playoffs, the Arvy-Ekholm connection will be tough not to cheer for. Really too bad they had to go and add Perry to mess with that... :madfire:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Ouch for Afanseyev. I guess that's why we only got Wiesblatt (minor league shift disturber/bust) for him.

I don't think players really ask for a "guaranteed spot", but they may want 1-way contracts. And who can really blame a guy like him, if he isn't going to make at least $775k (less half that in taxes), he probably CAN make more in the KHL. You'd think he'd bet on himself for a year, but maybe he has gf/wife/family considerations that give him a little extra incentive to not try to keep grinding away at the NHL. :dunno:

Trotz off the hook for that one.

Now if he got through the Saros contract with no NMC...

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Atleast we got something. Weisblatt may have his limitations but it appears Afanaseyev really was NHL or KHL

Both probably. Which says a lot given how badly the Sharks suck.
After today nobody here should mourn his departure. He was not going to crack the lineup we will have now. No wonder Trotz told him to shove it.
Yeh. It is easier to digest knowing now what Trotz had planned for his free agency. I dont think anyone wouldve thought that Trotz wouldve got Stamkos, Marchessault, and Skjei

Reactions: PredsV82

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Atleast we got something. Weisblatt may have his limitations but it appears Afanaseyev really was NHL or KHL
Objectively, the KHL is a good option for him. He was realistically a fringe guy who might've parlayed a Trenin sort of role at the high end but just as likely could've found himself being an AHL/NHL tweener to AHL lifer.

Ozzy looks like an AHL lifer, honestly. But the Admirals need players too.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Only reason it bothers me at all is because the kid didn't get the shot he deserved tbh. He did what they ask of every AHL guy, get better, show improvement, and then you get a shot.

I get that he might have gotten it this season, but based on what just happened he may not have either. If he got to San Jose and heard the same thing he did here, I don't blame him for heading back home, especially if there was more money offered.

He may not have amounted to much, but I don't like the feeling that guys did what they were asked to do and the organization more or less balked when the time came. Everyone else can disagree, that's fine, I just think its not a good look tbh.

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
I get that he might have gotten it this season, but based on what just happened he may not have either. If he got to San Jose and heard the same thing he did here, I don't blame him for heading back home, especially if there was more money offered.
Given what we know now of Trotz's direction, I think it is not unreasonable to think he would not have gotten a real shot here this season even if one thinks he should get at least a look.

Reactions: Armourboy

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Objectively, the KHL is a good option for him. He was realistically a fringe guy who might've parlayed a Trenin sort of role at the high end but just as likely could've found himself being an AHL/NHL tweener to AHL lifer.

Ozzy looks like an AHL lifer, honestly. But the Admirals need players too.
Still wish we wouldve atleast given him a bigger chance last season.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Did Lankinen get frozen out of the goalie carousel? I would guess everybody has their spots filled now? He might need a word with his agent. Teams don't have time to wait around on Frenzy day to plug those holes. He was competent enough for us. But we needed to get a guy locked in before the music stopped, we had to have offers out there on a few guys ("backup plan" pun almost avoided!) and as soon as Wedgewood took our offer, there is no room to go back.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Did Lankinen get frozen out of the goalie carousel? I would guess everybody has their spots filled now? He might need a word with his agent. Teams don't have time to wait around on Frenzy day to plug those holes. He was competent enough for us. But we needed to get a guy locked in before the music stopped, we had to have offers out there on a few guys ("backup plan" pun almost avoided!) and as soon as Wedgewood took our offer, there is no room to go back.
SJ might still be in the market.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I guess several previous quasi starters dropping into the backup market may have made finding a spot harder, especially if he was looking for more money/term.

Unless TSNs tracker is wrong, Devin Cooley got a 2 year one way contract with Calgary. Can't imagine Lank wouldn't have been better for them but would have wanted more money

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I guess several previous quasi starters dropping into the backup market may have made finding a spot harder, especially if he was looking for more money/term.

Unless TSNs tracker is wrong, Devin Cooley got a 2 year one way contract with Calgary. Can't imagine Lank wouldn't have been better for them but would have wanted more money
Cooley got 1-way in Year 2. Which is silly of course, since he was trash last season, even in the AHL. He won't ever see the NHL again, though, except in an injury emergency. Calgary just doesn't have anybody else on the farm atm until a couple more of their prospects graduate. Lankinen wouldn't have signed to play in the AHL.

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad