Around the NHL - 2024-25 season.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Oilers fans will downplay losses but when I watched the Oilers the speed and size in their bottom six always worried me. McLeod, Holloway and Foegle are bigger losses than they think. Sure Skinner and Arvidsson talented but older, injury prone and small. Also Broberg and Ceci gone with no comparable replacements. I don’t see a better Oilers team than the one that skated off after SCF game 7.

I agree 100%.

They have lost a ton of speed, possession ability, and jam.

Let's also not forget that Foegele had more goals and five on five points than Skinner did last year, and that Henrique was routinely getting his head caved in at 3C after his arrival but was saved by an incredibly high PDO. I'd much rather have Mcleod as my 3c than Henrique at this point. Arvidsson basically replaces what Kane brought, and he's a bandaid himself. Holloway is a far more talented player than Podkolzin too.

Heading into the year the bottom six isn't very good, the defensive depth is putrid, and they still have Skinner holding down the fort. The one saving grace that they have is that they are in the Pacific, but I really do think they take a step or two back. If they get and stay 100% healthy and are able to add a couple good defensmen then I will start to worry about there ability to repeat a deep run, but until then, they are paper tigers in my opinion.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I think we'd only be able to poach him via offering him an AGM role and that would also probably coincide with getting rid of Sigalet. Not sure we'd be able to do that, but yes... I've been very vocal for years that I'd love to bring Clark over. I think he'd be more valuable to the org than getting a star player for free.
I like Sigalet in his current role actually, I think he's done a good job discovering goaltenders for us. I'm not against Clark by any means, but I thin he'd be better as an addition to Sigalet.

That said, I'm down with replacing Labarbera. I would even be cool promoting Mackenzie Skapski as he's been Wolf's goalie coach the last 2 years. Besides WOlf, we also saw a solid season from Dansk in 2022-23 and an excellent small sample size from Connor Murphy last year.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I agree 100%.

They have lost a ton of speed, possession ability, and jam.

Let's also not forget that Foegele had more goals and five on five points than Skinner did last year, and that Henrique was routinely getting his head caved in at 3C after his arrival but was saved by an incredibly high PDO. I'd much rather have Mcleod as my 3c than Henrique at this point. Arvidsson basically replaces what Kane brought, and he's a bandaid himself. Holloway is a far more talented player than Podkolzin too.

Heading into the year the bottom six isn't very good, the defensive depth is putrid, and they still have Skinner holding down the fort. The one saving grace that they have is that they are in the Pacific, but I really do think they take a step or two back. If they get and stay 100% healthy and are able to add a couple good defensmen then I will start to worry about there ability to repeat a deep run, but until then, they are paper tigers in my opinion.
The Oilers are gonna Oil. They have 1 solution for every problem... more offense. They never seem to learn that there re only so many touches to go around, especially on the PP. The only way J eff Skinner looks like his old self is if he takes Hyman's PP time.

My brother who is an OIler fan did make a good point about MacLeod though, he said wasn't the same after his brother was charged in the Hockey Canada SA scandal, so a change of scenery to a non-Canadian market but close to home is probably best for him and his parents.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah Conroy did really well with the Markstrom trade

In other news, SJ is coming along nicely. I think they go all in for Draisaitl in the summer

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
So did Nashville. Just glad they didn't send him to Edmonton.
I wonder if the Askarov deal leads to a Blackwood or Vanecek to Vancouver deal, with rumors of Demko not being healthy to start the season.

Ledge And Dairy

I wonder if the Askarov deal leads to a Blackwood or Vanecek to Vancouver deal, with rumors of Demko not being healthy to start the season.
Unlikely, the Nucks don't want to block Silovs when Demko does return so they will look for someone who can be sent down without much worry for waivers. I would just sign Lankinen or Jones tbh

San Jose might do what Montreal did last year and just rotate 3 goalies in the NHL, regardless since both Blackwood and Vanecek are on expiring deals there is a much clearly path for him to the NHL not only as a backup but even as a starter than there was in Nashville, even if he does start the year with the Barracudas.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Unlikely, the Nucks don't want to block Silovs when Demko does return so they will look for someone who can be sent down without much worry for waivers. I would just sign Lankinen or Jones tbh

San Jose might do what Montreal did last year and just rotate 3 goalies in the NHL, regardless since both Blackwood and Vanecek are on expiring deals there is a much clearly path for him to the NHL not only as a backup but even as a starter than there was in Nashville, even if he does start the year with the Barracudas.

I wouldn't say it is out of the realm completely. It depends how long Demko is out. I read that Blackwood and Vancek are prone to missing games, so it might work out better for both clubs than Vanc just going after Lankinen or Jones.

But we shall see.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

they are both UFAs next summer. it'd hardly be blocking him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A Philly reporter tweeted and then deleted that Gaudreau died in a car accident. I really hope it’s not true

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
A Philly reporter tweeted and then deleted that Gaudreau died in a car accident. I really hope it’s not true
I'm following this too.

What is true, is 2 people on bikes were killed in Salem NJ and teh police aren't releasing any information

the guy who originally tweeted it now has these up
1724989954800.png

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gut wrenching shit. My brother called telling me the rumour and I initially told him to f*** off thinking he was making shit up. Hoping it’s social media bullshit

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
As much as hoax's suck... I really hope it is... that said, my thoughts go out to teh families of the victims, regardless of who they are.
Ofc, it’s a tragedy to whoever was the victim here, even if it turns out Gaudreau is alright.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Some guy is claiming it was Johnny and his brother Matthew, and that they were in town for their sisters wedding tomorrow.
1724991837239.png

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I hate this.

Gaudreau family in my thoughts tonight.
The lack of confirmation after this long has me worried it may be true. Two hours without breath of a denial...

We're going to need a better source than this.

Again, logically silence doesn't necessarily indicate anything, but it's really bugging me that this rumour hasn't been dispelled yet.
Oh I know, which is why I prefaced it how I did as "some guy on twitter" but I was just posting how the amount of time is bugging me too

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Don't dare even to try and talk about it on the CBJ page...they are deleting all posts...It appears Tim Peel has verified it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad