Around the NHL 2024-2025

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If only they had an award for the most valuable player in the playoffs, so Binnington could have been rewarded for single-handedly leading us to Glory(a). Oh, they do? The Conn smythe? Hmm, well let's see that trophy he won..

Hmm, Binnington looks a lot different...and has a different number, and was called Ryan O'Reilly back then.

Also, should Blackhawks fans be cool with the team ignoring rape since they won the cup? If Binnington had hit Kadri with that stick and seriously injured him, would he be immune from criticism cause he won a cup once? Is there no line where we could say "sure he won a cup X years ago but it's time to move on"?
Binnington DID get a fair number of Conn Smythe first place votes, finished second. I don’t think that argument is as strong as you seem to.

Can we stop shedding tears over Kadri having an empty water bottle tossed in his direction? A guy who has been suspended multiple times for attempting to injure players? His stick actually DID hit the opponent.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Apparently Boone Jenner is out long term for the blue jackets. Man, that franchise just cannot catch a break.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Of course it's not the same. That's the point. There is a line where a cup isn't worth it. I gave an extreme example everyone would agree on. It now comes down to each of us setting the line for ourselves. Binnington has past it for me. I'm not saying he should pass it for anyone else. But everyone is real comfortable telling me where I should draw my own line.

Can you imagine being such a douche that you think throwing an empty water bottle in the general vicinity of someone makes winning a cup not worth it?
It's a totally unnecessary and dangerous move. What if the stick slipped? What if he misjudged? What if Kadri suddenly turned into the stick. Why would you ever need to swing a stick within a foot of an unsuspecting person's head? I can see someone saying "yeah, that was boneheaded and he learned his lesson". But justifying it as no big deal? That is what' crazy to me.

So much shit that's Pejorative Slured about what you said here.

What if the stick slipped? It was not swung hard to begin with and most certainly not hard enough to slip.
Good thing it wasn't done hard enough to cause real injury to begin with.
Kadri was facing him, so Kadri would have had to skate forward into it for you mythological victim hood of Kadri to have happened.
Unsuspecting? The mother f***er was facing him and saw it coming.

Reactions: Reality Czech

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Throwing an empty water bottle and swinging a stick in someone's general vicinity is anywhere in the same universe as rape in your mind? You serious right now?
No, it’s not serious. It’s merely value-void, algorithmic smarm for the purpose of eliciting emotional responses.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Well no s*** there were other studs on the Stanley Cup roster and there were architects who assembled the team and there was a great Coach who I adore but the Blues had loaded teams for much of their recent history after 1990 and guess what, no one ever did what Binnington did to lead the franchise to the promised land. Sorry, he's a God in terms of what he did and I really question your fanhood if you feel different about that man and what he did that spring & summer.

Question my fanhood when my mom carried me eight months pregnant to a Blues game in 1991? Question my fanhood when my first sports memory was listening to the Blues on the radio, on a 4-2 loss to the Avalanche? Question my fanhood when I've been a fan for damn near all my life? How - f***ing - dare - you.

All because I dare to criticize the actions of one player whose actions deserve to be criticized? All because he happened to be in goal when the team won? What happens when Binnington eventually moves on? Would you stop being a fan? No, you wouldn't. Because you're a Blues fan. As am I.

Kindly stop questioning mine and others fanhoods for not canonizing one player who played a role in our victory - because right now, I'm shaking with anger at what you just insinuated about me.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Yeah, we could've had anybody back there. I'm sure we would've won with Allen between the pipes.

Did I say that? Is that all you got out of what I said?

Binnington played a huge role in us winning a Stanley Cup, but I don't deify anyone or anything. I don't subscribe in bowing before altars of players, no matter who they are, what they've done, or how much I respect them.

Everyone has had moments where they deserve to be criticized, and Binnington is no exception.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Question my fanhood when my mom carried me eight months pregnant to a Blues game in 1991? Question my fanhood when my first sports memory was listening to the Blues on the radio, on a 4-2 loss to the Avalanche? Question my fanhood when I've been a fan for damn near all my life? How - f***ing - dare - you.

All because I dare to criticize the actions of one player whose actions deserve to be criticized? All because he happened to be in goal when the team won? What happens when Binnington eventually moves on? Would you stop being a fan? No, you wouldn't. Because you're a Blues fan. As am I.

Kindly stop questioning mine and others fanhoods for not canonizing one player who played a role in our victory - because right now, I'm shaking with anger at what you just insinuated about me.

A bit dramatic but point taken. The entire 2019 team should be canonized, but I'm a little bothered by people minimizing Binnington's role in that storybook ending. He didn't just "happen" to be in goal when the team won, he was a crucial part of us winning. His story of coming out of nowhere to win a Cup is right up there with all the great stories in hockey history. A few screw loose moments shouldn't overshadow that.

Every Blues fan should respect what he's done during his time here and yes, I do respect him more than Petro because Binner stuck around and Captain Greedypants didn't. I'll respect what Petro did in a Blues uniform but that's where my respect for him stops. The fact that some Blues fans seem to have such a negative option of Binnington is pretty hard for me to understand, but to each their own I guess.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

Shaking with anger? Things posted on 8chan could make someone shake in anger but a Blues message board? How do you get through everyday being such an emotional trainwreck? Jesus.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Shaking with anger? Things posted on 8chan could make someone shake in anger but a Blues message board? How do you get through everyday being such an emotional trainwreck? Jesus.

By - f***ing - surviving. Don't think you know anything about me. Don't think you know anything about what I've gone through in my life. And don't presume to question people's fanhoods when you haven't the right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad