Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Detroit traded a 2nd to move a guy they signed a year ago? That seems...brutal

They didn’t have that 2nd very long.

IMG_8118.jpeg

Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Weber is iffy.

HOF is equivalent of 3 players getting in each draft. 2003 was better than most though. Out of his draft, where would he fit?

1: Bergeron
2:Fleury
3:Getzlaf
4:Burns
-All easily better-
5: Pavelski
6:Suter
7:Staal
8:Weber
9: Perry

I think he has become a bit overrated. He was never that amazing defensively.

For the Hall of Fame I’d go…

Bergeron
Getzlaf
Weber
Fleury
Burns
Pavelski
Perry
Staal
Suter

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Guy is an overrated GM, people ignore the fact that TB had Hedman/Stamkos when he walked in there day 1. Detroit has no superstar forward/D like that, they'll be consistently mediocre with him as GM.
He is living off the Seider pick and I don’t think it was that much of a shock

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
“The Devils got retention vs the Sens retaining, but the Sens also dumped $3 million of dead cap for three years on Boston. Korpi was negative value for the Sens. If they end up paying Ullmark $7 million for 5 years, it's only a $4 million increase vs Korpisalo for years 2 and 3 of that deal and they get a huge upgrade. In year 1, Ullmark + Koripi retention is only $2 million more than Korpi.”

What does any of this have to do with the Devils?

If this is important to you, then sure, Sens moving on from Korpisalo was the likely the best for them, even with losing 1m and a retention spot for 4 years. But we don’t have a comparable move here.

Boston has one of the best goalie coaches in the NHL and thrived with a goalie tandem. Korpisalo has played really well at times, including in the playoffs.

They might see Korpisalo as a candidate for a future pairing here and a positive asset at 3m.

Ullmark went cheaper than expected but the question of his extension looms large. I guess the upside for the Sens is even if they don’t keep him at least they dumped Korpi.

Did we try for Ullmark? I don’t know.

I liked Ullmark when he was in Buffalo. Maybe he signs a kind of reasonable deal with the Sens, stays reasonably healthy, and continues to play really well. Maybe he f***s off and gets a huge bag elsewhere.

Life’s too short to root against him so the theoretical trade we missed out on looks worse.

I get complaining about the Markstrom trade if Markstrom is a mess but it’s going to be… dreary if people are going to fixate on Ullmark next year too.

Ottawa fired their goalie coach last year, promoted their AHL coach mid-year, and are reportedly shopping for one.
Agree.

The best part of the Ullmark deal for me is that the idea of trading him meant Boston wouldn't be paying 10M for their goalie tandem and would free up $$ for other, Non-Zacha, offense since Bussi is a better version of Marty/Hasek/Roy combined (just ask Bruins fans). They took back a garbage goalie, that they didn't need, with 3M for 57 years years on his deal.

Instead of doing "The Vitek Shuffle" like Fitz did, Ottawa got the goalie they wanted and dumped the one that they didn't in one deal. Sweeney helped them with both.

If anyone believes Boston has some sort of goalie whisperer magic that will turn Korpisalo around then that would be even more reason to stay away from Ullmark since we have the opposite (goalie screamer?). If we traded for him, then probably given some wacky 8x8 deal that we would have regretted by January. Still not sold on Ullmark but we'll see how it goes.

The best thing for Boston would have been Ullmark for the pick, that's it.

LOVE IT!

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Playoffs but one has 2 Cups and an amazing assist on the game winning ot goal to win the cup...

View attachment 887293

View attachment 887294

Paul Pidotti, who's stuff I posted in the other thread and does the era adjusted stuff for the HOF basically has Elias and Roenick as the same guy just in different eras (he has them in the same era, but frankly Roenick did enough of his damage, including 3 straight 100 point seasons prior to the dead puck era that it's hard to fully classify them as the same era imo)

Era adjusted, they are both 30 goals / 82. Elias slightly higher in assists on 82 game average. Elias all time rank 67, Roenick 69, though Roenick has the superior 3 year stretch.

With regards to the playoffs, not only did Elias have one of the most easily recognizable assists in stanley cup history, but he also scored both goals in a game 7, 2-1 win in the ECF. That's not nothing.

Also, Roenick playoff performances may be skewed by era. From 89-93, he put up 51 points in 48 playoff games. However those 4 years pre-date the dead puck era; The league average goals scored per game was sometimes a full goal greater than when Elias was making his deep runs in the playoffs.

The other reason that Elias should get in is that his career is basically the same as Daniel Sedin's and they largely overlapped in the same era.

Sedin -

Regular Season - 1306 gp. 393 goals (.3/g), 648 assists (.496), 1041 points (.8). +147. 123.1 Hockey reference PS. 86 GWG.

Playoffs - 102 gp. 25 goales (.245 / g), 46 assists (.451 / g), 71 points (.696 / g).

Elias -

Regular season - 1240 gp. 408 goals (.33/g), 617 assists (.498 / g), 1025 points (.827 / g). +172. 124.7 hockey reference PS. 80 GWG.

Playoffs - 162 GP. 45 G (.278 / g), 80 assists (.494 / g), 125 points (.77 / g).

Now, if you switch these to per 60 stats, some will flip, and that's worth noting. Elias averaged more time per game over his career (hockey reference appears to have a miscalculation on his ATOI though. From what I can tell, should be closer to a little over 18 minutes per game -- not counting first two seasons of 18 games total and Sedin was right at 17 minutes). Elias had a couple of more years in the dead puck era so he has a slightly smaller league scoring rate, but only by like .05 goals / g. So these careers are pretty crazy comparable.

Sedin got the post season award love, and his peak season as 2nd in Hart / 1st Pearson, three top 3 All star team voting is worth something.

But nobody will tell me that those awards makes one of these guys a first ballot hall of famer and the other guy not worthy of the hall. That's insane to me.

Last edited:

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As much as I roast him, I would have taken Ottawa a little more seriously if they hired him instead of Travis Green.

I wonder if he'll employ the same low-event stuff he did in LA or if it will be more uptempo like the Sharks/Oilers? Obviously they don't have the horses to play like the Sharks or even the Oilers when he was there.

The Kings continued to play exactly like that after he was fired.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Surely if Detroit trades for Gibson nobody will still be insisting Yzerman is good, right?
As someone who is highly skeptical of Yzerman and has roasted him on here and constantly ridiculed the Yzerplan, I don't think he's really going to do this. I think this was just something that Pagnotta threw out there and was completely speculatory. Although I do want it to be true.

I still think he'll do his usual (bad) UFA shopping though.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
As much as I roast him, I would have taken Ottawa a little more seriously if they hired him instead of Travis Green.

I wonder if he'll employ the same low-event stuff he did in LA or if it will be more uptempo like the Sharks/Oilers? Obviously they don't have the horses to play like the Sharks or even the Oilers when he was there.

The Kings continued to play exactly like that after he was fired.

Probably the same as LA.

Columbus' goalies are just as crap as LA. Going to need to play tight defense in order to win.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
McLellan will be their Lindy, stability for their youth. Once those kids take off, he'll get the boot for someone better. Nothing wrong with that for a team that has been floundering for a coach since Torts left

Reactions: Oneiro

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I keep seeing that clip of Paul Maurice saying he wishes Winnipeg wins the next Stanley Cup.. if I were a Florida fan I'd be really pissed.

If your coach is not thinking about doing it again and a repeat at that very moment I'm not sure he should be the coach of your team

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I keep seeing that clip of Paul Maurice saying he wishes Winnipeg wins the next Stanley Cup.. if I were a Florida fan I'd be really pissed.

If your coach is not thinking about doing it again and a repeat at that very moment I'm not sure he should be the coach of your team
insane pearl clutching about a well meaning remark, as usual

There's zero chance he's not gonna go out there and do everything in his power to win again, but not acknowledging that there are 31 other teams, and that repeating is INSANELY difficult even if everything breaks right is just wanting to be mad about nothing

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I get what you're saying but you certainly aren't going to fire the guy who just won a cup over a comment like that and I'm sure most Florida fans don't care because they just won the cup. I'd gladly take the trade off for a silly comment over missing the playoffs like we've been doing

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

You’re reading way too much into that. He’s obviously gonna put everything into doing it again. Doubt anyone in Florida even have a second thought about that comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad