Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's clear the the Devils preferred Markstrom to Ullmark. But, to me it looks like the Devils paid perhaps 2x what the Sens did.

- The Devils 1st is likely 14 - 22 range. It'd be awesome if it was 25+, but no way you can count on the Devils improving 15 spots in the standings. (Yes - I get that the Devils just had huge fluctuations in standings. I said you can't count on it, not that it can't happen.)

- Bahl is clearly superior to Kastelic - younger, plays a more important position, and has more upside.

- The Devils got retention vs the Sens retaining, but the Sens also dumped $3 million of dead cap for three years on Boston. Korpi was negative value for the Sens. If they end up paying Ullmark $7 million for 5 years, it's only a $4 million increase vs Korpisalo for years 2 and 3 of that deal and they get a huge upgrade. In year 1, Ullmark + Koripi retention is only $2 million more than Korpi.

- Ullmark has health issues, but so does Markstrom. You don't want either playing more than 50 games.

The benefits for the Devils are:
- Markstrom vs Ullmark (I can't tell the difference, but we'll see)
- Lower cost in Years 1 and 2 while Markstrom is on this current deal

The deal is done, so it's a sunk cost. I'd rather Fitz leave the cap space unused vs do something dumb (IMO, Pesce is dumb - unless there's something up with Dougie). But, if Fitz was pushing for retention, hopefully it was because he had a plan in mind.

“The Devils got retention vs the Sens retaining, but the Sens also dumped $3 million of dead cap for three years on Boston. Korpi was negative value for the Sens. If they end up paying Ullmark $7 million for 5 years, it's only a $4 million increase vs Korpisalo for years 2 and 3 of that deal and they get a huge upgrade. In year 1, Ullmark + Koripi retention is only $2 million more than Korpi.”

What does any of this have to do with the Devils?

If this is important to you, then sure, Sens moving on from Korpisalo was the likely the best for them, even with losing 1m and a retention spot for 4 years. But we don’t have a comparable move here.

Boston has one of the best goalie coaches in the NHL and thrived with a goalie tandem. Korpisalo has played really well at times, including in the playoffs.

They might see Korpisalo as a candidate for a future pairing here and a positive asset at 3m.

Ullmark went cheaper than expected but the question of his extension looms large. I guess the upside for the Sens is even if they don’t keep him at least they dumped Korpi.

Did we try for Ullmark? I don’t know.

I liked Ullmark when he was in Buffalo. Maybe he signs a kind of reasonable deal with the Sens, stays reasonably healthy, and continues to play really well. Maybe he f***s off and gets a huge bag elsewhere.

Life’s too short to root against him so the theoretical trade we missed out on looks worse.

I get complaining about the Markstrom trade if Markstrom is a mess but it’s going to be… dreary if people are going to fixate on Ullmark next year too.

Ottawa fired their goalie coach last year, promoted their AHL coach mid-year, and are reportedly shopping for one.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looks like Yzerman is freeing up space for another (DUMB) UFA splurge. I'm not convinced it's Gibson, but that would be probably even worse than whatever dumb UFA contract he can sign, short of yet another Chairot type.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never thought Shea Weber would get into the HOF when he last played 3 years ago. I would have lost that bet. I figured he was one of those guys who would fall short. I was about to say ''I guess no Carey Price?'' and then I remembered he came back to play at the very end of the 21-22 season, so he's not eligible until next year.

Subban was every bit as good as him (I think he was better), but I don't expect him to get in next year (or probably ever) because he didn't really have a long enough career. Only 834 regular season games.

As far as Datsyuk goes, I was like ''Wait, what? Isn't he already in?''. It's easy to forget that he played for like 3 or 4 more years in the KHL after he was done in the NHL.

Honestly, I'm somewhat surprised Patrick Marleau didn't go in. Maybe they plan to put him in with Joe Thornton next year?

I don't actually think Patrick Marleau is a hall of fame caliber player. Elias was the better player of the two. But I think Marleau goes in for the games played record. Without that games played record he isn't an HOF player. Roenick (going in after like 15 years of being retired), Tkachuk and Elias are all much more HOF worthy than Marleau. I would argue Rod Brind'Amour as well, who should definitely get in after Guy Carbonneau did.

Mogilny goes without even saying.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I have no clue what Detroit is doing. Not any clue at all. I figured that Walman deal was some sort of 3 way trade where Detroit was getting something from a 3rd team and then SJ and that 3rd team were making a deal. Apparently not.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Weber is iffy.

HOF is equivalent of 3 players getting in each draft. 2003 was better than most though. Out of his draft, where would he fit?

1: Bergeron
2:Fleury
3:Getzlaf
4:Burns
-All easily better-
5: Pavelski
6:Suter
7:Staal
8:Weber
9: Perry

I think he has become a bit overrated. He was never that amazing defensively.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Weber is iffy.

HOF is equivalent of 3 players getting in each draft. 2003 was better than most though. Out of his draft, where would he fit?

1: Bergeron
2:Fleury
3:Getzlaf
4:Burns
-All easily better-
5: Pavelski
6:Suter
7:Staal
8:Weber
9: Perry

I think he has become a bit overrated. He was never that amazing defensively.
I don’t know if I’d rank Suter over him, but I agree with the rest. Swap him and Suter and I agree with the rest.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I will say that some of the most steadfast supporters of Elias I've seen on twitter have been Rangers and Flyers fans.

They do the Hate / Respect card well.

Because it's usually your rivals who know your best players. We despised Hank but we know how good he was, same thing applies to Shesterkin.

Feel like Trotz is going to full nuclear and get offensive guys. They have the D + goalie set pretty much.

Reactions: Forge

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I don’t know if I’d rank Suter over him, but I agree with the rest. Swap him and Suter and I agree with the rest.

There's a case for everyone in #5-#9 to be considered better. Pavelski probably easiest to make a case.

Suter was a better overall player at their peak and stayed healthier. Weber had that dynamic shot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad