Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I legit don't understand why some of you guys even follow the team lol

"we need a goalie!"
"no NOT like THAT!!!!!"
The Sens traded a 1st round draft pick+ for Ullmark. We traded a 1st round draft pick+ for Markstrom. Apparently we overpaid but the Sens fleeced. Make it make sense. Nevermind the fact that we know Markstrom can handle heavy workload, he's under contract for multiple seasons and we do not have to invest a heavy cap hit into him. Ullmark's extension is going to come in higher than both our goalies alone plus the Sens retained money on Korpisalo for 4 seasons so add that to Ullmark's cap hit the next 4 years.

Make it make sense.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
lol no we didn't. We paid for 2 years of Markstrom. They just gave up a 1 for a non-extended, at the moment, Ullmark.

EDIT - And they had to use a retainment spot for 4 years.
Yeah BUT....their 1 this year is #25 which is basically a 2nd rounder and as of right now it's only 1 year. The Devils on the other hand gave up anywhere from 11-32 next year + a 23 year nhl proven dman for 2 years of a 34/35 yo goaltender.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah BUT....their 1 this year is #25 which is basically a 2nd rounder and as of right now it's only 1 year. The Devils on the other hand gave up anywhere from 11-32 next year + a 23 year nhl proven dman for 2 years of a 34/35 yo goaltender.

#25 is "basically a 2nd rounder" but a 1st round pick in 12 months is a just.... 1st round pick lol

and Ullmark turns 31 in a few weeks. Not like he is some spring chicken. And Markstrom is signed for twice as long.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
VWdntp.gif

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
The Sens traded a 1st round draft pick+ for Ullmark. We traded a 1st round draft pick+ for Markstrom. Apparently we overpaid but the Sens fleeced. Make it make sense. Nevermind the fact that we know Markstrom can handle heavy workload, he's under contract for multiple seasons and we do not have to invest a heavy cap hit into him. Ullmark's extension is going to come in higher than both our goalies alone plus the Sens retained money on Korpisalo for 4 seasons so add that to Ullmark's cap hit the next 4 years.

Make it make sense.

The Sens fleeced mostly for getting rid of one of the most significantly crappy contracts in the NHL.

Ullmark is a half decade younger than Markstrom but it's less to do with Ullmark vs Markstrom than the situations of the trade itself. I am not even the biggest Ullmark fan. If anything, I think he's largely a product of the Bruins' system and won't be largely as successful elsewhere.

But I also think most GMs know this and won't give him a contract that ages like milk within the next 3-4 years. BTW, in regards to term, that is all I think Ullmark is worth.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Management must think that Markstrom is the better goalie over Ullmark, or that the difference in their contract situation favored Markstrom more.

Otherwise, it’s hard to see how Fitz couldn’t put up those assets to get Ullmark, so the answer is likely that he didn’t want to.

I’m not sure I agree.

Reactions: My3Sons

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The Sens fleeced mostly for getting rid of one of the most significantly crappy contracts in the NHL.

Ullmark is a half decade younger than Markstrom but it's less to do with Ullmark vs Markstrom than the situations of the trade itself. I am not even the biggest Ullmark fan. If anything, I think he's largely a product of the Bruins' system and won't be largely as successful elsewhere.

But I also think most GMs know this and won't give him a contract that ages like milk within the next 3-4 years. BTW, in regards to term, that is all I think Ullmark is worth.
Ullmark is 3.5 years younger than Markstrom, not a "half decade." The Sens ate $1 Million a year on Korpisalo for 4 years as well, so they also lost value in the trade for having to do so. They didn't fleece here if they didn't get a goalie that you're not "the biggest fan of" outside of Boston. The simple fact is that people here live to bitch about the moves we make because that's their persona/schtick and they can't thrive without doing so.

We paid Bahl and a 25 1 for 2 years of a goalie who has proven he can handle a true #1 workload over his career. He fits our timeline while letting our prospects that we're high on season in the AHL and we can revisit our goalie situation when the time comes. I understand that taking things within the context of the actual situation isn't the strong suit of most of HF but in no way, shape or form did we overpay.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

3.5 years = half a decade. Ullmark turns 31 in a few weeks. Markstrom is 34 for 7 more months.

you guys need to chill with this kind of stuff lol

Yeah this is super disappointing. Ullmark is the better goalie, he is much younger, and the cost was less. Sigh

its not super disappointing at all. We do not have a late 1st in 2024 to give up and Ullmark could just as easily walk in 12 months. Ottawa is a worse team than NJ.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the Sens could dump Korpisalo then there’s a real chance the Oilers can dump Campbell before that has to go to a buyout.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah I don't like that for Boston.

Also makes me think the team preferred Markstrom over Ullmark.

Homedresser

Dec 7, 2021
#25 is "basically a 2nd rounder" but a 1st round pick in 12 months is a just.... 1st round pick lol

and Ullmark turns 31 in a few weeks. Not like he is some spring chicken. And Markstrom is signed for twice as long.
lol. don't let the facts get in the way of 100K+ posts.

All i did was post the facts.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

#25 is not anything close to a 2nd rounder. To even trade down from there into the 2nd round a team would have to get probably a low 2nd round pick back.

Anyway you didn't even acknowledge all the money involved in the deal which is really where this analogy falls apart. Ottawa is paying $6M for Ullmark, the Devils are paying less than Markstrom's cap hit for Markstrom. If the Devils took on Markstrom's full hit, I doubt Bahl's in the deal, or it's like a 2nd and a 3rd going back the other way.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Homedresser

Dec 7, 2021
#25 is not anything close to a 2nd rounder. To even trade down from there into the 2nd round a team would have to get probably a low 2nd round pick back.

Anyway you didn't even acknowledge all the money involved in the deal which is really where this analogy falls apart. Ottawa is paying $6M for Ullmark, the Devils are paying less than Markstrom's cap hit for Markstrom. If the Devils took on Markstrom's full hit, I doubt Bahl's in the deal, or it's like a 2nd and a 3rd going back the other way.
Money? cap hits are similar. less than 2M per. # 25 in the first is a prospect pick for the most part.

Homedresser

Dec 7, 2021
3.5 years = half a decade. Ullmark turns 31 in a few weeks. Markstrom is 34 for 7 more months.

its not super disappointing at all. We do not have a late 1st in 2024 to give up and Ullmark could just as easily walk in 12 months. Ottawa is a worse team than NJ.

Who can argue logic like that. Trying to pass off their ages as basically being the same? 3.5 years = 1/2 a decade? what math is this?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Fitz straight up came out and said they wanted an established starter in the league, they’ve already been through the 50/50 thing.

Ullmark has not established himself outside of a tandem and doesn’t have the proven starter experience, especially in the playoffs.

Plus he had to a waive an NTC and you would have to sign him to a big extension.

It’s not rocket science that they wanted Markstrom. They weren’t going to gamble again with Ullmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad