Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He shouldn't be in the hot chair, especially considering he was just promoted/extended earlier this year. Fitz also doesn't come across like someone to take shortcuts or make short-sighted decisions for his own personal benefit.

That being said, I am starting to understand a sense of urgency with this team to start to capitalize on the prime years of this core, not to mention taking advantage of having some very good players on ELC's (Hughes/Nemec this season, Nemec and maybe Gritsyuk the following season).

I'm still hoping we use the #10 pick to draft a player that can come in another season or two from now on an ELC as that really should be our last high pick for some time, but I understand to an extent using it for a more established player that could help us immediately.
Im okay to trade this pick for serious asset that will help. Trading pick for Ehlers or for Necas or something like that - its just a gm mode on xbox ea game. Win now mode for one season.

But this possibility is short. Everybody wants to win the trade and the big asset to lose is on our side.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Is it just me or is this unusual movement in the order before the draft? Feel like it's been a long time since we've seen teams trade picks before the actual draft starts.
i think it's pretty odd - you have no idea who's available at that pick you just traded up/down for, so there's no guarantee who you want would even be there. I mean that moreso for the team moving down (Sabres), unless they're either going to

a. reach for their pick or
b. trade the pick

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Between that deal and this one, we've now seen multiple trades involving only draft picks ahead of a draft. I can't recall that happening before.
I get the Sharks wanting a top 11 pick .. they probably have a couple players on their board that they are are reasonable sure will be there at 11. They must have felt they might miss out if they stayed at 14.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I get the Sharks wanting a top 11 pick .. they probably have a couple players on their board that they are are reasonable sure will be there at 11. They must have felt they might miss out if they stayed at 14.

It's not a bad bet on the Sharks' part as there seems to be a drop after the top 11 or so. It's just the type of trade that teams usually make as the draft is going on when they see how the board is breaking.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
It's not a bad bet on the Sharks' part as there seems to be a drop after the top 11 or so. It's just the type of trade that teams usually make as the draft is going on when they see how the board is breaking.
Buffalo might be moving these picks and needed to get a deal finalized prior to the draft. That would make the most sense why it was done now instead of while on the clock.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I think it’s good due to the relationship with Calgary and San Jose that Fitz has. He can call both of them and maybe see if they share who they’re going with or if anyone is trying to trade to their spots for a certain player. Smallest of chances but not impossible with GMs that are cool with each other.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Weber is not a HoFer let alone a first ballot one. This is utter crap.
Weber - HockeyDB

Guess I’m the Weber Truther on this board.

IMG_8168.jpeg

Is it just me or is this unusual movement in the order before the draft? Feel like it's been a long time since we've seen teams trade picks before the actual draft starts.

Two major pick trades before the draft is f***ing wild.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I just want to say the Stanley Cup is such an amazing trophy in every aspect, everything else is dog shit compared to it, it's actually laughable, especially the Larry O'Brien Trophy (NBA), it's kind of an embarrassment actually, I almost T-bagged that replica lmao.
Hell, even the Prince of Wales and Clarence Campbell trophies are nicer than every other trophy. Rich Eisen talked about the cup presentation on his show a year or two ago and even the non-hockey fans said they watch it every year because it is so special and unlike any other celebration in sports.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know why I keep watching the award ceremony and anticipate a decent production...it never happens....for like 25 years each year gets worse than the last.

It's a good thing Hellebuyck wears a mask... Strange looking dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad