Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Boston never did.

I was trying to make references Ryder would understand.
A lot of those teams in that span also weren't afraid to move on from a coach when it was clear they were trending down and should have been better.

I see some act like Cooper and Cassidy are reasons you don't fire Sullivan. Idiotic rationalization, truly.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I mean at this point I'm leaning towards being mostly glad that this team hasn't drafted shit stains like Miller, Mailloux, Connelly, and Ronni.

The rest of this franchise isn't going to shit. It's been elbows deep in it for a few years now. But at least we'll have that...

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
"Ultimately, the Penguins should target players who not only fill their positional needs but also complement their existing roster and style of play. The availability of these players in free agency and their willingness to join Pittsburgh will also play a significant role in any potential signings."
@KyleDubas

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Worse players than Smith that have term have been traded. Not sure Dubas even is all that urgently trying to move him it seems.

With the Hayes trade can we even afford to give up Reilly Smith?

Like, I know who gives a shit about moving him.

But, who are we acquiring in UFA that only will sign for 2 years that is putting up 40 points?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Whatever helps us plummet I'm all for. Bringing in Hayes and having the Dinosaurs take another step backward because of father time engorges my nether region!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm more worried about how much Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Karlsson will decline this season than Hayes being in the bottom 6 or scratched

Reactions: Shady Machine

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He was here ONE year and got rid of him. He saw that this team wasn't playoff caliber after being here for 8 months and traded the muppet. Not sure what you want him to do in such a small amount of time.

No one and I mean no one could have forecasted just how abysmal that PP would have been. Especially with EK being in the fold. With a decent PP they might have backed their way in to the post season. The core deserves the majority of the blame. They all of a sudden forgot how to play? They're the ones out there, they can figure it out. Regardless of the coach, they should know what to do.
I don't expect him to forecast it, but I do expect him to make adjustments to try and save the season, when he sees failure. It was evident all the way through that the PP was a critical problem, and nothing was done. And what's more is that PP1 sucked the prior year under the same PP coach too, but he kept the job. It was PP2 that saved them some face.
I agree that a lot of the onus is on the players, but that still doesn't change the fact that you're likely to get improved results with a new PP coach. So you gotta do something.
Reirden didn't even need to be fired necessarily. He was doing just fine with the blue line for the most part. You simply strip him of being the PP coach and hire another coach specifically for the Power Play. FSG have the money, and there's no rule against that.

I just don't like the lack of urgency at attacking core issues. There's no way he shoulda still been charge of it after like the 30-40 game mark. That's more than a 100-game sample size of futility with those guys. He shouldn't have even been the PP coach after what happened in 2022-23. It was clear a new voice was needed. He kept it due to nepotism.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I know prices were a bit low at last years deadline. But Smith feels like a prime candidate to bring back a 2nd at the deadline, right?
Especially if we retain 50%

So maybe Dubas feels its better to wait. Ofc that means even less change in the tram from last season, but maybe they have given up and rather try sneak that 2nd round pick out than make the playoffs

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Imagine saying that willingness part out loud and not realize why that's the case.

t6a7CPD.png

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Uff, this place is getting really, really toxic. As a guy who most of the time just lurks I can tell you one thing: it’s no fun going through all the pages of complaining, fighting and shit like this.

I can understand when someone is not happy with Dubas’ work in the last year. Totally fine and understandable, but come on, there’s no reason to flame about it in every other post. Close the book and try to look in the future.

The Pens are going to get as many picks as possible via different outcomes. Trades will happen as soon there are are two teams willing to make a trade. And guess what, some of you won’t like the trade. That’s how things go in live and if you can’t handle it then maybe it’s time for you to do something else. Read a book, have a cold one or be nice to your partner.

I’m excited to see what happens in the next weeks….

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
sigh, I amazed some people haven't been mentally prepared already that the rest of this decade will be HORRIBLE and we'd be lucky to make the playoff once before 2030. This team is poor and will suck more and more for every year that passes. ACCEPT IT and try look to the future. We have been so damn spoiled compared to many other fanbases and now it is our time to watch our team in the basement.

Reactions: Andy99

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Uff, this place is getting really, really toxic. As a guy who most of the time just lurks I can tell you one thing: it’s no fun going through all the pages of complaining, fighting and shit like this.

I can understand when someone is not happy with Dubas’ work in the last year. Totally fine and understandable, but come on, there’s no reason to flame about it in every other post. Close the book and try to look in the future.

The Pens are going to get as many picks as possible via different outcomes. Trades will happen as soon there are are two teams willing to make a trade. And guess what, some of you won’t like the trade. That’s how things go in live and if you can’t handle it then maybe it’s time for you to do something else. Read a book, have a cold one or be nice to your partner.

I’m excited to see what happens in the next weeks….
I agree. It's pretty clear the Penguins made one last kick at the can last offseason. The brought in the reigning Norris trophy winner and looking at a net with no goalies brought in the biggest name UFA. They also added a legit top six forward, an alleged top 4 defenseman, and bottom 6 depth. Most of these moves failed.

One it became clear they were not competing they sold off their only big pending UFA. The draft concluded with them adding picks not using them to buy new vets.

Between now and the trade deadline the Penguins will likely sell off more pending UFAs. Pettersson, Smith, and Eller will all have value as rentals at the deadline. Some of them may even be out the door in the next week if teams like Vancouver or Buffalo that want to win now miss out on their big UFA targets.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens with a nice add at LW with size and frit and St Ivany plays up to a good 3rd pair RD, I think the Pens can compete in the metro. With Bunting here for 80 and getting a PP back to being top 10 or so, Pens can win games they lost last season. Dubas will move some vets as the younger players emerge here. I still think smith is moved for a decent pick. Actually I am more on the Pens making some hay this year than the last 2. Karlsson runs the PP. Quinn will see to that. a healthy Rakell and Buntng is key. DOC steps up more and the 4th line is simply better. Pens down the stretch were a playoff team.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If it were true that we were starting the rebuild, Smith would not still be here. There’s going to be no market for him in 24 hours when GMs get liquored up and throw their cap space at crappy players.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If it were true that we were starting the rebuild, Smith would not still be here. There’s going to be no market for him in 24 hours when GMs get liquored up and throw their cap space at crappy players.
But what about the GM’s who get liquored up and throw their cap space at crappy players…. and don’t get those crappy players…. Boom that’s when we swoop in… with another crappy player for them to not only spend cap space on, but give up assets for!

I miss the season ticket holder guy. That dude was always good for a laugh.
He can’t complain about Malkin right now. You won’t hear from him until Malkin has a bad game. Then get the popcorn ready.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018

You could turn that around, if there were a market for him he wouldn't be here now. Hard to know which is true.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if the market is bad now so Dibas waits maybe all the way to the deadline?
If we retain 50% Smith should be worth a 2nd at the deadline. Cup experience etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad