Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Its a bad decision for Devils. Jesper is very good and fast enough defensive forward 5 on 5 who can give secondary scoring and play center role. If Haula will play on the wing with Jack, we will have ~0 centers in the bottom and Lazar as only the player who has some experience even if he isn't really good сenter. We have zero depth. Boqvist could be perfect 12-13 forward. If Fitz doesn't like Boqvist, what he expect from Melovsky and Graham.

He also has the skating ability to hang anywhere you put him in the lineup in a pinch. I think he could hang with Jack, Bratt, or fit into a defensive winger role alongside hischier if really needed.

He was quite good for us and imo quite good for boston. I just don't get it. He's gonna get some time in Florida and I expect him to play well there too.

He's just never going to have a permanent role (without improving) because right now he is a 'bottom 6' forward who doesn't kill penalties or hit people. It's hard to keep a 13th forward who doesn't do at least one of those things, and indeed Boston didn't use him as a 13th forward - they waived him and then called him back to the NHL when they needed someone.

I don't think Fitzgerald let him go because he didn't like him, I just think there's a time when a young player can't get anything more out of an organization and it's time to go somewhere else.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He's just never going to have a permanent role (without improving) because right now he is a 'bottom 6' forward who doesn't kill penalties or hit people. It's hard to keep a 13th forward who doesn't do at least one of those things, and indeed Boston didn't use him as a 13th forward - they waived him and then called him back to the NHL when they needed someone.

I don't think Fitzgerald let him go because he didn't like him, I just think there's a time when a young player can't get anything more out of an organization and it's time to go somewhere else.
I understand your view on him and mostly I share it, but in our situation we dont have even Boqvist level player. As a two way bottom line player, as a bottom line producer. Of course I would prefer player who can play pk, especially for center role, but we dont have too mostly. And we dont have any depth on center position. He is patch, but he is good path.

He also has the skating ability to hang anywhere you put him in the lineup in a pinch. I think he could hang with Jack, Bratt, or fit into a defensive winger role alongside hischier if really needed.

He was quite good for us and imo quite good for boston. I just don't get it. He's gonna get some time in Florida and I expect him to play well there too.

I dont think he is good enough to play top-6 role, he wasnt good enough in bigger role even with his abilities, but he can survive in the third line role easily. Triumph mentioned his limitations, I still like him in his borders.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I understand your view on him and mostly I share it, but in our situation we dont have even Boqvist level player. As a two way bottom line player, as a bottom line producer. Of course I would prefer player who can play pk, especially for center role, but we dont have too mostly. And we dont have any depth on center position. He is patch, but he is good path.

I dont think he is good enough to play top-6 role, he wasnt good enough in bigger role even with his abilities, but he can survive in the third line role easily. Triumph mentioned his limitations, I still like him in his borders.
I'm not saying he deserves a top 6 role at all, but I think his speed gives him the ability to keep up with the top guys and not be completely out of place for a shift or two, or a game or two. Like, if you try and stick Nathan Bastian on a line with Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt, he's going to be utterly useless in that role. At least with Boqvist's speed he could keep up and be involved in some ways

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I'm not saying he deserves a top 6 role at all, but I think his speed gives him the ability to keep up with the top guys and not be completely out of place for a shift or two, or a game or two. Like, if you try and stick Nathan Bastian on a line with Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt, he's going to be utterly useless in that role. At least with Boqvist's speed he could keep up and be involved in some ways
He has tools to play top-6 but mostly he looks lost in that role. I would say healthy Bastian looked more competent in his couple of shifts. Boqvist - on my taste - is good positionally against transition, he is okay on the rush, but he doesnt do good things in cycling, his offensive positioning isnt good.
But yeah, his skating helps him a lot at least to be nice role player, even in very limited role. 10-11 minutes is a small amount of time but still its time you hope your team will not miss goals and Boqvist is a good player to help with it.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Interesting

1720640033253.png

I didn't mentally expect Bure to be that high but there he is.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Reactions: Clam Jensen

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Interesting

View attachment 893927

I didn't mentally expect Bure to be that high but there he is.
Mike Bossy was amazing. If you think Hischier gets beaten up it's a pillow fight compared to what Bossy had to put up with. Even with Gillies on his wing he was sticked, punched, gouged, hacked, and cheap shotted. He fought through all of it until his back gave out. Maybe the all time underrated player just because he's typically an afterthought when discussing the all time best players.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
thats honestly really unfair to reimer
I can think of quite a few under him. He wasn't even really that bad last year. In fact, I'd rank Husso below him. Husso was worse behind the same team. Him being 43rd out of 63 is a joke. Guy has been in the NHL for 4 years and has absolutely SUCKED for 3 years.

Antti ''Waived last year and looks like he may not even get an NHL job this year'' Raanta should probably be in last out of the guys listed. With Korpisalo not too far in front of him.

And guys like Blackwood should definitely be below Reimer. I know he's old, but how do you put even Raanta ahead of him? And Pickard, who has mostly played in the AHL for the last 8 years, until this past season?

And why is Wallstedt and his 3 career games (one of which he gave up 7 or 8 goals in) already up to 46th? And Askarov and his 3 career games at 37th already? Really? Both of those guys are slated to start the season in the AHL and may get minimal NHL ice time if the goalies ahead of them stay healthy. I'm not saying they should be lower than they are, as much as they should probably get a DNQ (did not qualify) for this list.

Samsonov at 31st is way too high also. Almost all of his seasons in the NHL are bad. As I said the day it came out, Gibson at 22nd is still way too high, but at least he isn't 15th or 17th, or god forbid 12th or some shit like he would have been a year or two ago.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And I guarantee that at least one is those guys is going to surprisingly underperform and the rest of the top 10 are going to be filled with ridiculous surprises of goalies playing behind good teams. Get ready for Stolarz, Lyon, Schmid, Daccord leading all start categories, ridiculously.

I'm actually a Stolarz fan and wouldn't be surprised if he has an outstanding season.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Mike Bossy was amazing. If you think Hischier gets beaten up it's a pillow fight compared to what Bossy had to put up with. Even with Gillies on his wing he was sticked, punched, gouged, hacked, and cheap shotted. He fought through all of it until his back gave out. Maybe the all time underrated player just because he's typically an afterthought when discussing the all time best players.

not to people in the know... sure, he would have had his later years to bring down his average but would still be up there in the rankings

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So....I believe this makes Ryan Suter the oldest skater currently under contract for next season. And the second oldest player under contract behind Marc-Andre Fleury.

I don't think Giordano signed anywhere, did he? He's listed as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, but the last signing I could find for him was a two year deal he got in 2022.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
So....I believe this makes Ryan Suter the oldest skater currently under contract for next season. And the second oldest player under contract behind Marc-Andre Fleury.

I don't think Giordano signed anywhere, did he? He's listed as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs, but the last signing I could find for him was a two year deal he got in 2022.

hold on, i'll check capfriendly and get back to you..........

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
looks like CapFriendly is officially gone

Another reason to strongly dislike the capitals.

Screw the caps and screw the sellouts (and probably the league for wink-wink encouraging this behind the scenes to keep optics away from being blamed for something they wanted to do to themselves).

Hope a good replacement comes around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad