Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Walman has started getting 22+ minutes a night paired with Seider in Detroit and has points in three straight. Fabbri has 3 goals in 4 games since coming back from another knee injury. Happy for both.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Man I really like Fabbri and I'm really worried about him, dude is made of glass.
I'm so happy for him that he signed his current $12M contract before his most recent knee injury.

No matter what happens, he's got another $8.5M coming his way after this season (or theoretically $5.6M over 4 years if they bought him out this summer). Even if he was young and reckless with his money early in his career and didn't take saving seriously until the most recent injury, he has enough guaranteed money coming his way to set himself up for a comfortable life. After taxes, escrow, agent, lawyers, etc, he should come out of hockey with a net worth over $3M. That number should be in the $10M region if he was reasonably good with the money he earned after his trade to the Wings (and any agent worth a damn would have drilled money management into his head during knee injury #2).

His career might not end up being what he wanted/expected or what it should have been. He might need/want to work in hockey (or some other career) after his playing days are over to supplement his investments. he might not have 'screw you money' for the rest of his life and he might reflect on what could have been through his 30s and 40s.

But he got his name on the Cup and secured a very comfortable life for him and his family. Even if his career is ended tomorrow, he earned at least that much. I'm rooting for him to write more chapters of his hockey career, but I'm happy that he secured that $12M contract already.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Dunn should've had more of a chance here, but there were times the coaches gave him the chances with Petro, and it didn't work out, and that was after Bouwmeester/Parayko were handling the toughest of minutes. Would much prefer Dunn/Petro at the top than Krug/Faulk and that would probably be a similar type cost, at least a comparable amount.

Walman is what he is, a decent 3rd pair puck-mover, that has some skills, but not enough to regret moving.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Dunn should've had more of a chance here, but there were times the coaches gave him the chances with Petro, and it didn't work out, and that was after Bouwmeester/Parayko were handling the toughest of minutes. Would much prefer Dunn/Petro at the top than Krug/Faulk and that would probably be a similar type cost, at least a comparable amount.

Walman is what he is, a decent 3rd pair puck-mover, that has some skills, but not enough to regret moving.
I never agreed that it didn't work out with Petro. They would play well but then get broken up at the very first defensive lapse. They got really good results together in the 764 total 5 on 5 minutes they got together:

57% corsi, 56% shot percentage, 60% goals percentage (42 goals for and 28 against for a +14), 55% xGF%, 58% scoring chance percentage, and a 56% high danger chance percentage. You are completely right that they were used in the offensive minutes while Bo-Parayko did heavy lifting defensively, but those are exactly the results you want out of an offensive top pair.

It's incredibly frustrating to think about what the D group could look like simply by extending our own guys for contracts they got elsewhere and not making the moves for Faulk/Krug.

Dunn ($4M then RFA this summer)-Petro ($8.8 through 2027)
Eddy ($3.5M through 2024)-Parayko
Mikkola/Bortz/Rosen

Throw Scandella onto LTIR if you think we still felt the need to acquire him when Bo went down. If we still had Eddy at that point instead of Faulk, I don't know that we do. I'm not sold there is a single season where our actual D group has outperformed what this group would have looked like. I think this hypothetical group is much better suited to have picked up the slack to ease Perunovich into the lineup.

Petro/Dunn/Eddy combine for $16.3M while Faulk/Krug/Leddy combine for $17M. Dunn will be due a raise, so their salaries would go over the $17M number starting next year and who knows whether you could extend Eddy after next season. But I'd argue that those issues are less harmful than the length of time we've locked ourselves in to Krug/Leddy. This route would have changed the expansion draft, but it also would have allowed us to use Bokk in a trade to either influence who Seattle took or recover from who they took. If the team sucked this year, this group puts us in a better position for a retool than the current group.

Looking at the D we moved on from around the league is extremely frustrating when you compare them to our blueline. Petro is still a #1 D man and Dunn is showing that he is capable of being a complimentary piece on a top pair (with a partner who is not as good as Petro). I don't think Eddy (even with all the injuries) would have left us any worse off for our #4 D than we've been for years now (and probably better off if we had still brought in Scandella and let him and Eddy kind of spliut 4/5 duties).

Incredibly frustrating.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Walman has had a handful of games over 20 minutes including a couple of 22 minute games recently and is getting a tiny pop of hype. He is so far from proving he can hold up with heavy minutes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I never agreed that it didn't work out with Petro. They would play well but then get broken up at the very first defensive lapse. They got really good results together in the 764 total 5 on 5 minutes they got together:

57% corsi, 56% shot percentage, 60% goals percentage (42 goals for and 28 against for a +14), 55% xGF%, 58% scoring chance percentage, and a 56% high danger chance percentage. You are completely right that they were used in the offensive minutes while Bo-Parayko did heavy lifting defensively, but those are exactly the results you want out of an offensive top pair.

It's incredibly frustrating to think about what the D group could look like simply by extending our own guys for contracts they got elsewhere and not making the moves for Faulk/Krug.

Mikkola/Bortz/Rosen

Throw Scandella onto LTIR if you think we still felt the need to acquire him when Bo went down. If we still had Eddy at that point instead of Faulk, I don't know that we do. I'm not sold there is a single season where our actual D group has outperformed what this group would have looked like. I think this hypothetical group is much better suited to have picked up the slack to ease Perunovich into the lineup.

Petro/Dunn/Eddy combine for $16.3M while Faulk/Krug/Leddy combine for $17M. Dunn will be due a raise, so their salaries would go over the $17M number starting next year and who knows whether you could extend Eddy after next season. But I'd argue that those issues are less harmful than the length of time we've locked ourselves in to Krug/Leddy. This route would have changed the expansion draft, but it also would have allowed us to use Bokk in a trade to either influence who Seattle took or recover from who they took. If the team sucked this year, this group puts us in a better position for a retool than the current group.

Looking at the D we moved on from around the league is extremely frustrating when you compare them to our blueline. Petro is still a #1 D man and Dunn is showing that he is capable of being a complimentary piece on a top pair (with a partner who is not as good as Petro). I don't think Eddy (even with all the injuries) would have left us any worse off for our #4 D than we've been for years now (and probably better off if we had still brought in Scandella and let him and Eddy kind of spliut 4/5 duties).

Incredibly frustrating.
Yeah, definitely agree. It didn't work to the coaches standards, but I think it ultimately would have with more time, and like you lay out, in reality it did. If they unleashed that pair offensively with the newer mentality we have with forwards like Thomas/Kyrou/Buchnevich, the results would've been amazing.

And if Dunn performed to Seattle level or just how some of us thought he would've next to Petro, and behind those 3, he would've received a pretty good pay bump, but our defense also wouldn't be an issue.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

Mikkola/Bortz/Rosen

Incredibly frustrating.
Preach

Reactions: BlueKnight

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Winnipeg looks really good this year. Morrisey has really stepped up his game this year. Playing at above a PPG with good defense and he is signed to a decent contract

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I always though Dunn was going to be better than Krug only a few years after he left…and for cheaper.

He didn't really leave as much as was stolen from us. I do agree, I would have preferred to keep Dunn and not sign Krug but let's not pretend Dunn is better than Krug at what Krug does well.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
6-1 Seattle over the hawks in the 1st….I love seeing the hawks be absolute shit but there’s no way the league doesn’t gift them Bedard this year.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
6-1 Seattle over the hawks in the 1st….I love seeing the hawks be absolute shit but there’s no way the league doesn’t gift them Bedard this year.
Oh the league will definitely do that. All their hard work in covering up the scandal will be rewarded with a generational player

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
On the bright side the Flyers are up 3-1 against the caps and have looked really good these past few weeks. Maybe they can pass us so we can get a better draft pick

Reactions: TK 421
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad