Around the NHL 2020-2021 | Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
This game is an absolute shitshow, to the surprise of no one.

We're bound to have another Steve Moore incident eventually here, just a question of "when" not "if". Next guy to get truly maimed in one of these situations will probably take the NHL to the cleaners in court too, I'm not sure that "We let a bunch of juiced up meatheads police themselves" is as persuasive of an excuse as it was 20 years ago.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This game is an absolute shitshow, to the surprise of no one.

We're bound to have another Steve Moore incident eventually here, just a question of "when" not "if". Next guy to get truly maimed in one of these situations will probably take the NHL to the cleaners in court too, I'm not sure that "We let a bunch of juiced up meatheads police themselves" is as persuasive of an excuse as it was 20 years ago.

It’s because they are being policed by one of the juiced up meatheads from years ago. Parros is governing safety in a way that would have allowed him to stay relevant as a player. And while we have time for players who are capable of doing both, we don’t really have time for players like him anymore. Not if their presence is going to risk the well-being of other players.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Oh, wring our hands. Won't someone stop the violence. Please! Think of the stars. Think of the children.

Meanwhile, it's almost a guarantee that tonight's meaningless game is one of the most-watched games of the season. Reddit's top posts are all from this game.

People whine and cry as they gobble up the content and can't stop talking about it.

Maybe people don't remember when violence sold hockey tickets in Detroit. But I do. And it was a heck of a time to be a hockey fan.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Oh, wring our hands. Won't someone stop the violence. Please! Think of the stars. Think of the children.

Meanwhile, it's almost a guarantee that tonight's meaningless game is one of the most-watched games of the season. Reddit's top posts are all from this game.

People whine and cry as they gobble up the content and can't stop talking about it.

Maybe people don't remember when violence sold hockey tickets in Detroit. But I do. And it was a heck of a time to be a hockey fan.

It could also just be that most people understand and respect the science that talks about the physical, mental and emotional toll that excessive violence causes to players for the rest of their lives.

It really doesn’t come as a surprise that you would position yourself as an advocate for a league that ignores direct contact to the head, rabbit punches, slamming people to the ice in a fashion that could easily result in unprotected heads being driven into the ice, and cross checking faces.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I wonder why the DOPS would be so hands off over this?

Could it be that it’s run by a former NHLer who averaged under 6 minutes per game, had 1092 career PIMs, and 169 career fighting majors?

You picked the one goon who seems to have not learned about the dangers of letting shit go without league issued punishment.

They have no choice but to look hypocritical now that they have to suspend Buchnevich for cross checking Mantha across the beak. That should go over well.

Ratings...?

Reactions: 14ari13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It could also just be that most people understand and respect the science that talks about the physical, mental and emotional toll that excessive violence causes to players for the rest of their lives.

It really doesn’t come as a surprise that you would position yourself as an advocate for a league that ignores direct contact to the head, rabbit punches, slamming people to the ice in a fashion that could easily result in unprotected heads being driven into the ice, and cross checking faces.

Well, good. We can be entertained. And you can grandstand. Win-win.

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
The Athletic is going to exploit this for every click they can.
And then their writers will bemoan the NHL for allowing such a spectacle.
They already milked it for 4-5 articles in one day before the game..their whole newsletter yesterday was about Tom Wilson..figured they could at least pay him an author's fee

Reactions: MBH

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

And you can tell all the kids that play ball hockey that you’re not being mean when you catch them with a drive by elbow across the chin. It’s just the “right” way to play

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
It's because the initial play (Buchnevich) wasn't that serious.
And the more serious play (Panarin) was a reasonable response to some guy jumping on your back.
I wouldn't call it jumping on his back, Panarin was trying to get Wilson off of Buchnevich's by wrapping him up around his shoulder. Wilson freaked out.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
look at all the media and hype that this has generated

The NHL got what it wanted

For a couple days. And then people will realize that the NHL is actually about hockey 99% of the time, and you have to actually learn a couple rules of the game to enjoy it, and things will go back to normal.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Violence has been part of hockey since I was a kid (and it was before that too, judging by what I've read).
By historical standards, that incident with Wilson was tame.
The reactions of millennials shows just how much hockey's changed and hockey fans have changed.
The reaction of the Rangers organization shows how much this game has changed.

Compare this incident and the reaction to:
1) Draper getting smashed from behind
2) Bertuzzi dropping Steve Moore.

Compare this, in terms of actual danger/safety, to Darren McCarty throwing punches at Claude Lemiuex as he turtled on the ice - one of the iconic moments in the history of the Red Wings organization.
Was McCarty suspended? Was he even thrown out of the game? No. In fact, he got in another fight. And then he scored the game-winning goal in overtime.

It's just hard to take the caterwauling over Wilison even a little bit seriously.

I think what Wilson did with Buchnevich was cheap. I really don't think what he did to Panarin was awful, considering Panarin f***ing asked for it. Wilson could have done a lot more and was about to before he caught himself.

The thing that really turned me off about Wilson was the penalty box pose.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Of course you could twist someone expressing concern for the long-term health of the athletes we enjoy into grandstanding.

Your brain fails to comprehend the slightest bit of empathy so you find a way to spin it as if they are ostentatious.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Of course you could twist someone expressing concern for the long-term health of the athletes we enjoy into grandstanding.

Your brain fails to comprehend the slightest bit of empathy so you find a way to spin it as if they are ostentatious.

Yeah. Buchnevich and Panarin are doomed.
Good point Bench.
They'll never be the same from this "horrific act of violence."

You're trying to make this something it wasn't. Period.

mod

You've been around this league for years. I saw you cheering Kronwall hits that left guys spasming on the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Violence has been part of hockey since I was a kid (and it was before that too, judging by what I've read).
By historical standards, that incident with Wilson was tame.
The reactions of millennials shows just how much hockey's changed and hockey fans have changed.
The reaction of the Rangers organization shows how much this game has changed.

Because historically too many guys got brain damage, mod

But yeah, it's those damn millennials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah. Buchnevich and Panarin are doomed.
Good point Bench.
They'll never be the same from this "horrific act of violence."

You're trying to make this something it wasn't. Period.

Look at how everything you wrote doesn't address what I said and instead creates a strawman for you to sink your teeth into.

You even use quotes for something I didn't say.

But yes, I'm making it something it wasn't. There's a reason you're the undisputed King of Irony here.

You've been around this league for years. I saw you cheering Kronwall hits that left guys spasming on the ice.

Oh did you? That's quite a memory you have. I'd love to know what I said as the player spasmed on the ice.

A more vivid memory of mine is trying to convince undereducated but always first in line for an opinion posters like yourself that CTE was a serious issue in the league and the stuff outside of the normal flow of play needed to be controlled better for the well-being of players.

Here's what this is about, incase you want to make more shit up I said, you can just focus on this and save yourself time:

Bad stuff will happen in a contact sport. But a lot of it doesn't need to. And yes, it can be very entertaining, but it's not worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad