Around the NHL 20-21 pt. 1: the season begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was cleared by a cardiologist to return to on-ice practice.

Without knowing what the surgery is, I would trust Hank.
I'm not denying any clearances and I'm sure he took every precaution in coming back. My concern is that he is at the very end of his career and just had heart surgery a month ago... Maybe it is a good idea to retire and not try to push anything

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm not denying any clearances and I'm sure he took every precaution in coming back. My concern is that he is at the very end of his career and just had heart surgery a month ago... Maybe it is a good idea to retire and not try to push anything

If he's been cleared and has been given the thumbs up, then there really isn't an issue.

Heck, he might have a much lower risk now than he did last season when nobody knew anything was up.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If he's been cleared and has been given the thumbs up, then there really isn't an issue.

Heck, he might have a much lower risk now than he did last season when nobody knew anything was up.
I think we are missing each other.

I agree he is fine if he is cleared but the why makes no sense. It's like if you were to fall down a remote countryside well, you were able to climb out of it using a rikity ladder in which every rung broke as you scrambled up. You then realized during your fall you lost your wallet... Would you dive back in knowing that ladder is shot or would you go home, cancel all your cards and be happy you are alive and can see your family

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

:laugh:

For the record, I do look forward to when we're no longer a punchline and all of the humor is replaced by the misery & anger of being competitive but not quite good enough to win it all.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I agree he is fine if he is cleared but the why makes no sense. It's like if you were to fall down a remote countryside well, you were able to climb out of it using a rikity ladder in which every rung broke as you scrambled up. You then realized during your fall you lost your wallet... Would you dive back in knowing that ladder is shot or would you go home, cancel all your cards and be happy you are alive and can see your family

You are talking to the wrong person.

I am going to play hockey for as long as I can. I get why Hank wants to get back out there ASAP.

Reactions: Steddy33

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Panarin should only wear new underwear
(and)
Yeah. Very popular word in Russian now is -Gulfik ( the part in undies wear poison was smeared).
In a related move, the NYR Rangers have hired a full-time food and beverage taster who will travel with the team and room with Panarin at home and on the road.

Just move to Boca, take up golf and enjoy the fact that you are alive.

(FYI "rickety" - an adjective which derived from the rickets disease to describe something weak, misaligned, misshapen)

If you've spent your entire life building wells, you'd go back down to get the wallet.

I have no qualms whatsoever with Lundqvist putting on the pads and returning to the ice to see his new team / teammates. We don't know if he will or won't play again in the NHL. Who knows. But I think any individual who spends his/her entire life in a field, achieving high stature and recognition, then has an unrelated medical event, and then cold-turkey walks away after treatment without at least going back to the office, auto repair garage, chef's kitchen, job site, etc., to personally decide he/she is done, as opposed to having it thrust upon you, is not unreasonable.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
You are talking to the wrong person.

I am going to play hockey for as long as I can. I get why Hank wants to get back out there ASAP.

Reminds me of my dad always trying to get me into golf by telling me it’s a game you can play into your 70s/80s. I always tell him that’s exactly why I’m playing as much hockey as I can now, while I can.

I think someone in the thread said Hank should just enjoy life. I think he is. I think he’s doing exactly what gives him a sense of joy. I totally get it.

Edit: I see this was addressed in the thread.

I’ll add it’s also why I don’t get the criticisms about players hanging on too long. Hell, I pay to play hockey. If I could get paid to play I’d do it as long as I could wherever I could.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
To follow-up on my post above, it's therapeutic. If all you've known for 30 years is strapping on the pads, that's what you're going to do for your own mental health. I'm pretty sure you and I are of like mind, it's others who may disagree with his return to the ice (so soon).

I've never played hockey (or any professional sport) but i completely understand you guys.

Ken Baker's book is a fantastic read. It's one of the best books I've read - it perfectly portrays what you guys are talking about. Competing in professional sport is like a drug to certain people who are lucky enough to get the chance. From a guy like Baker who never fulfilled his potential - to a guy like Lundqvist who played at the top level for years - some guys are just wired this way.

They Don't Play Hockey in Heaven: A Dream, A Team, and My Comeback Season by Ken Baker

(thanks to @Chainshot for the reccomendation a number of years ago)

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
LeBrun: After only a month off, Jim Rutherford is ready to work in the NHL again
(athletic sub. req.)

Jim Rutherford may be interested in taking on a team president role.

But when the time is right, and if teams reach out, he will listen. The transition to the more senior role of president of hockey pperations with a club might make sense at this stage of his career.

“I could possibly go into that role, help a franchise and try to improve the structure of it,” said Rutherford. “And also help the general manager. That’s something that I’ve talked about really for the last five years, that I thought it was something that would be a good role for me at some point in my career.

“And I’m probably at that point now. I’m not saying if the right general manager’s job opened up, that I wouldn’t do that anymore.’’

There are no geographical limits, he will be open-minded, East or West, U.S. or Canada, the right fit is the right fit regardless of where it is.

He does know Kevyn Adams from their time together in Carolina...

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Reactions: joshjull

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
While he’s been around the block and I can appreciate that, I’m way too reluctant about hiring a person who still thought giving Jack Johnson a 5 year deal in 2018 was a good idea. And if it’s true about his quitting Pittsburgh due to a lack of control, he might be the kind of person who exerts too much influence as a team president.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
He apparently rage quit the Pens because he didn't like team oversight over his decisions, really don't see how the Pegula's would hire someone like him
I wasn’t aware that’s what happened. If true, you’re right it doesn’t sound like someone the Pegulas would hire.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
He apparently rage quit the Pens because he didn't like team oversight over his decisions, really don't see how the Pegula's would hire someone like him
So he will fire himself and they won't have to keep paying him? And he's ex-Pittsburgh? I doubt they get a pres, but here's our shot...

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
While he’s been around the block and I can appreciate that, I’m way too reluctant about hiring a person who still thought giving Jack Johnson a 5 year deal in 2018 was a good idea. And if it’s true about his quitting Pittsburgh due to a lack of control, he might be the kind of person who exerts too much influence as a team president.
He basically states he will meddle when he noted "and also help the general manager"...hard pass

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I don't want to come off as harsh here, but I sincerely hope that whomever came up with the idea to attack his wife's parenting skills (which if it's the same woman who suffered a miscarriage makes it a billion times worse) gets flattened by a falling piano like in a 1920's slapstick silent film.

Reactions: joshjull

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't want to come off as harsh here, but I sincerely hope that whomever came up with the idea to attack his wife's parenting skills (which if it's the same woman who suffered a miscarriage makes it a billion times worse) gets flattened by a falling piano like in a 1920's slapstick silent film.
I don't believe you are harsh enough. You can question parenting styles all you want, but you don't do it in an official and public document.

Reactions: sabremike

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

I don't believe you are harsh enough. You can question parenting styles all you want, but you don't do it in an official and public document.

I read the article in its entirety, here's the bit where Zion (to whom Kane owes $4.25 million that's he's trying to avoid paying by filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, instead of Chapter 11) talks about his wife:
"At times the motion gets deeply personal, the bank calling Kane "venal," charging him with "stiffing his creditors," and appearing to question his wife's parenting skill. Kane, in his bankruptcy petition, listed $12,000 a month in child care expenses.

Zions responded to that: "Kane claims to need $12,000 per month in 'childcare and children's education expenses' to pay for a 24/7 rotation of day and night nurses for a 6-month old infant, even though his wife does not work outside the home."

Kane also listed his wife, two uncles, mother, sister, father and grandmother as dependents, which Zions slammed.

"Apparently, his creditors are expected to support Kane, his wife, his daughter, and all of his relatives for Kane's lavish lifestyle, and theirs as well," Zions wrote."

It sounds like Zions is obviously pissed because Kane is intentionally trying to avoid paying them the $4.25 million that he borrowed from them (with some creditors claiming he misled them into lending him money), while simultaneously gambling away that money

Zions wants Kane's bankruptcy petition to be changed from Chapter 7 (where creditors like Zions can't toll Kane's NHL contract) to Chapter 11 (where creditors like Zions, to whom Kane owes millions of dollars, can toll his NHL contract so that the they can collect the millions of dollars they leant to Kane)

Creditors are pretty much saying that they can't trust Kane because of his gambling problems and that Kane can't be trusted to manage his own estate, which is why they believe his bankruptcy filing should be changed from Chapter 7 to Chapter 11.

There are also claims by creditors that Kane misled them in order to secure those loans. I have no sympathy for Kane because it sounds like he and his lawyer are trying to pull a fast one to avoid paying debt he racked up (that he clearly has the means to pay due to the remaining money on his NHL contract). The blurb about his wife seems minor compared to the millions he's trying to avoid paying his creditors

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad