Around The NHL #13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
What a year for the NHL.

One of its worst off the ice:

- Carter Hart and the Hockey Canada boys
- Corey Perry and "Mrs. Bedard"
- Shane Pinto's gambling
- Pierre Dorion's no-trade trade
- Mike Babcock and iPhones
- "Banning" Pride Tape
- Sharks the worst team in decades
- Another suit vs the Blackhawks
- Dead ratings for ASG and Winter Classic
- Losing a major market in Arizona

But then, on the ice, one of its best:

- Auston Matthews gets damn near 70 goals
- A growing market gets its first Cup
- McDavid gets to the Cup Final
- McDavid/Gretzky playoff records
- Bedard runs away with Calder despite injury
- Kuch and McDavid with 100 assists
- Four 50-goal scorers
- One of Crosby's best seasons in years

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
OEL getting the Cup made me emotional. Nick Cousins is getting a ring too lol, ok fine. Poor Corey Perry. Bob I think deserved the Smythe but, at that point Bob doens't care, he's taking the big one.
Seeing OEL smile while raising that cup is priceless.

In a shitty season, a first Cup for OEL, Paul Maurice, Kyle Okposo, Alex Barkov and a Sun Belt franchise is a good way to end it. Nick Cousins and heartbreak in Edmonton is a nice bonus.
I'm proud of the Oilers. They showed their character after a disastrous start. The better team won.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seeing OEL smile while raising that cup is priceless.

I'm proud of the Oilers. They showed their character after a disastrous start. The better team won.
I'm not sure you can say better team won this series, imo Oilers were better team in 5 out of 7 games. But that is really irrelevant as only goals and wins count.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
EDM was better in games ... 3 & 7? Or 1 & 3?

Why?
I thought Edmonton was better in games
EDM was better in games ... 3 & 7? Or 1 & 3?

Why?
I thought Edmonton was better team in games 1,2, and 5 for sure with other 4 being fairly even. While Floride outplayed them in some periods I think overall Edmonton was better team. I thought Skinner was better than Bob in series but at the end it was Skinner who cost them a couple games, even Cup winning goal was one that can't go in.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
ok, lets talk stats...assuming everything is equal in the long run (not a bad, but not a perfect assumption)...Canada is now 0 for the last 30. Sorry Jakey...just the fact ma'am. :)
With, say, 30 teams in the league (since we're going back to '92) each team has about a 3.33% chance of winning in a given year (remember the original assumption before getting your tuuk in a twist) that means that Canada had about a 20% of winning the cup in any given year, or 1 in 5. So, 1/5 raised to the 30th power is the chance of a Canadian team NOT winning a Cup in 30 yrs! This is an astronomically low low low number. I mean smaller than the average number of brain cells in a Coyote fan's delusional brain.
So clearly, SOMETHING IS NOT conducive to Stanley Cup acquisition in Canada. In stats world we call this a "special cause", changing an otherwise normal distribution. In this case, it applies across all 6 teams (unlike the Coyotes where the integrated ineptness applies solely to the formerly beleaguered franchise).
WHAT in the True North Strong and Free and in the name of McJesus is going on here??
Jakey, explain please!

• Haha
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
ok, lets talk stats...assuming everything is equal in the long run (not a bad, but not a perfect assumption)...Canada is now 0 for the last 30. Sorry Jakey...just the fact ma'am. :)
With, say, 30 teams in the league (since we're going back to '92) each team has about a 3.33% chance of winning in a given year (remember the original assumption before getting your tuuk in a twist) that means that Canada had about a 20% of winning the cup in any given year, or 1 in 5. So, 1/5 raised to the 30th power is the chance of a Canadian team NOT winning a Cup in 30 yrs! This is an astronomically low low low number. I mean smaller than the average number of brain cells in a Coyote fan's delusional brain.
So clearly, SOMETHING IS NOT conducive to Stanley Cup acquisition in Canada. In stats world we call this a "special cause", changing an otherwise normal distribution. In this case, it applies across all 6 teams (unlike the Coyotes where the integrated ineptness applies solely to the formerly beleaguered franchise).
WHAT in the True North Strong and Free and in the name of McJesus is going on here??
Jakey, explain please!
What the hell are you talking about?

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
In a shitty season, a first Cup for OEL, Paul Maurice, Kyle Okposo, Alex Barkov and a Sun Belt franchise is a good way to end it. Nick Cousins and heartbreak in Edmonton is a nice bonus.
Yup. As often as I've talked up the state of Florida here over the years, as weird as we are...Having the Eastern Conf rep in the finals go TB, TB, TB, FLA, FLA softens it a little.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Coyotes get the "were" treatment on wikipedia, our first captain watches his son and our final captain win a Cup, and now Coyotes legend Jeremy Roenick and "Coyotes Legends" Pavel Datsyuk and Shea Weber all get elected to the Hall of Fame.

Hell of a 36 hours.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad