Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Like I said, I didn't realize the 4M was high based on todays standards - Chevy has usually paid decent on bridge deals.
So if it's less, all the better.
Yes, I was following the offer sheet discussions lately - and I do not see an offer sheet issue in this discussion - but maybe I'm missing something.
I'm certainly not the expert on this. Just commenting on what I have observed. Anyways I always appreciate the civilized and respectful discussions when they come up.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
You guys and gals want a good laugh? Man, I hate that organization.
IMG_7808.jpeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For Perfetti? I think essentially what pinto got.
Perfetti 75pts in 140gp
Pinto 70pts pts in 140gp

2 year $7.5 million is not bad I just don’t like the second year of Pinto’s deal @ $5 million. I assume there was a reason for that structure?

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

After a few months away from the board and anything hockey, I think I'm in a better headspace to return and comment and that allure of talking hockey just keeps pulling me back. Hope everyone has had a great summer so far (still a bit of summer left, maybe more for some depending on where you live).

The Laine trade to Montreal caught my interest, especially the Habs HF board. Wow are they optimistic about him, with the majority of posters predicting 40 goals and a few predicting 50. One poster even dubbed Patrik (and Slafkovsky) as "a god". It's possible Laine regains his old form, the HF Habs fans sure seem to think they have the right locker room for whatever ails Laine mentally. I guess we'll see whether both Winnipeg and Columbus' locker rooms were toxic and Laine just a victim of circumstance, or if maybe the guy who's peaced out on two consecutive teams is maybe part of the problem.

Seems to me that things could get ugly for Patrik if he doesn't live up to expectations. Although they are super high on him now, Habs fans do not seem to have a lot of patience for lack of performance and that market can be a real pressure-cooker, but maybe not as bad if you're not French Canadien? Time will tell.

I don't think my expectations for the Jets have ever been lower after the past two post-seasons and a very quiet off-season but maybe that's for the best ... just going to try to take things easy and enjoy the sport without getting too caught up in emotion. I'm expecting another folding like a cheap tent in round one IF they make the playoffs, and anything better than that is gravy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets have yet to play the own rental route with any significant player. Not sure Ehlers will be the first.

There is no pattern here, one way or the other. The first time it happens will be when a key player chooses not to sign here while Jets are in win now mode.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

After a few months away from the board and anything hockey, I think I'm in a better headspace to return and comment and that allure of talking hockey just keeps pulling me back. Hope everyone has had a great summer so far (still a bit of summer left, maybe more for some depending on where you live).

The Laine trade to Montreal caught my interest, especially the Habs HF board. Wow are they optimistic about him, with the majority of posters predicting 40 goals and a few predicting 50. One poster even dubbed Patrik (and Slafkovsky) as "a god". It's possible Laine regains his old form, the HF Habs fans sure seem to think they have the right locker room for whatever ails Laine mentally. I guess we'll see whether both Winnipeg and Columbus' locker rooms were toxic and Laine just a victim of circumstance, or if maybe the guy who's peaced out on two consecutive teams is maybe part of the problem.

Seems to me that things could get ugly for Patrik if he doesn't live up to expectations. Although they are super high on him now, Habs fans do not seem to have a lot of patience for lack of performance and that market can be a real pressure-cooker, but maybe not as bad if you're not French Canadien? Time will tell.

I don't think my expectations for the Jets have ever been lower after the past two post-seasons and a very quiet off-season but maybe that's for the best ... just going to try to take things easy and enjoy the sport without getting too caught up in emotion. I'm expecting another folding like a cheap tent in round one IF they make the playoffs, and anything better than that is gravy.

Welcome back

I posted this on the poll thread where people were talking about how much they think Laine will score. It was in response to the notion that 40 goals will be easy for him.

Patrik has had 5 seasons in a row where he hasn’t hit 30 goals. He doesn’t tend to stay healthy and he doesn’t shoot the puck enough to get 40 goals unless he has an outlier season where his shooting % elevates (like his career year when he was 19 and shot over 18%)

Let’s pretend for a second he could play 82 games this upcoming season. If you look at his body of work Patrik has played 480 regular season games in the NHL, he has generated 1390 shots, so he averages 2.89 shots per game. His career shooting % is 14.9 so If Patrik plays 82 games in Montreal he will get about 34 goals if he follows career norms.

If you look at Cole Caufield last season he was able to generate 3.8 shots per game which is impressive he was just snake bitten and had a dismal career low 8.9% shooting rate compared to a career high 16.5% the year before. Caufield does generate more shots than Laine does per game though and the margin is material.

Ovi is the gold standard for goal scoring and it’s because of two major factors. His phenomenal health (longevity) and his ability to generate shots on net. His 12.9 shooting % is pedestrian at best for an elite goal scorer but dam man he has been able to generate 4.64 shots per game (6627), over 1426 career regular season games.

TLDR summary: Patrik has never been a high volume shot taker for a goal scorer and I doubt that is going to change.

Last edited:

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Welcome back

I posted this on the poll thread where people were talking about how much they think Laine will score. It was in response to the notion that 40 goals will be easy for him.

Patrik has had 5 seasons in a row where he hasn’t hit 30 goals. He doesn’t tend to stay healthy and he doesn’t shoot the puck enough to get 40 goals unless he has an outlier season where his shooting % elevates (like his career year when he was 19 and shot over 18%)

Let’s pretend for a second he could play 82 games this upcoming season. If you look at his body of work Patrik has played 480 regular season games in the NHL, he has generated 1390 shots, so he averages 2.89 shots per game. His career shooting % is 14.9 so If Patrik plays 82 games in Montreal he will get about 34 goals if he follows career norms.

If you look at Cole Caufield last season he was able to generate 3.8 shots per game which is impressive he was just snake bitten and had a dismal career low 8.9% shooting rate compared to a career high 16.5% the year before. Caufield does generate more shots than Laine does per game though and the margin is material.

Ovi is the gold standard for goal scoring and it’s because of two major factors. His phenomenal health (longevity) and his ability to generate shots on net. His 12.9 shooting % is pedestrian at best for an elite goal scorer but dam man he has been able to generate 4.64 shots per game (6627), over 1426 career regular season games.

TLDR summary: Patrik has never been a high volume shot taker for a goal scorer and I doubt that is going to change.
If they give Laine a proper distributor I can see him scoring 40. CBJ didn’t have the complimentary piece he needed (maybe he’s the complimentary piece?).

But my gut tells me he will be a 30ish goal scorer the rest of his career and will be chased out of Montreal by next season.

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If they give Laine a proper distributor I can see him scoring 40. CBJ didn’t have the complimentary piece he needed (maybe he’s the complimentary piece?).

But my gut tells me he will be a 30ish goal scorer the rest of his career and will be chased out of Montreal by next season.

I think it’s going to come down to his health and his shooting %. He is overdue for a healthy season.

After his blistering start as a teenager his shooting % over the seasons since he has been in his 20’s have been 12.2, 12.4, 12.7, 15.6 (covid year), 12.0, and 14.6

Health wise his last full season was in Winnipeg in 2018-19 he played 82 games. Since then he has played 68, 46, 56*, 55, 18.

Honestly I think there are two Patrik Laine’s. There is the teenage sensation that looked like the world was going to be his oyster. Then he turned 20 and he has been injured allot, he has asked to be traded from two teams, he didn’t progress, and he was a cap dump this week.

I think some fans in Winnipeg are fondly remembering his teen seasons but those are long gone.

* equal’s the Covid season.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Apparently Draisaitl is looking at an extension with a $14 M AAV according to Seravalli. Which will then be followed by McDavid a year later which will likely be a couple million more than that. Even with the cap going up can you really ice a competitive NHL team with $30 M or more going to 2 players? Especially when you have $9.25 M wasted on Nurse.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Apparently Draisaitl is looking at an extension with a $14 M AAV according to Seravalli. Which will then be followed by McDavid a year later which will likely be a couple million more than that. Even with the cap going up can you really ice a competitive NHL team with $30 M or more going to 2 players? Especially when you have $9.25 M wasted on Nurse.

Don't forget Bouchard is also getting 9 plus million next summer. This year is their last shot before they can't ice the depth needed to win imo.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't forget Bouchard is also getting 9 plus million next summer. This year is their last shot before they can't ice the depth needed to win imo.

At least it is their last shot before they need to move out some cap. Should probably be shopping Drai instead of trying to extend him. But who would want to take on that next contract and be able to pay the acquisition price?

It would need to be established players going to Oil to keep their cup hopes alive.

Tough to see a successful path for the Oil to navigate these contracts.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
At least it is their last shot before they need to move out some cap. Should probably be shopping Drai instead of trying to extend him. But who would want to take on that next contract and be able to pay the acquisition price?

It would need to be established players going to Oil to keep their cup hopes alive.

Anything they get back from a Drai trade makes them a worse team this year. Their best bet to win a Cup is keep him this year and figure it out next summer. If he leaves, he leaves. Their window is much less open without him than with him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

should be shopping him, lol.

imagine selling that to your team or organization... just made the cup finals with a majority of they key players returning- have mcdavid, hyman, bouchard, ekholm, RNH, had some great lower-$ signings with skinner & arvidsson... but lets shop our 2nd best player for a 1st and some other crap instead of trying to win and extend him.

are you allergic to winning? why do you enjoy perpetual rebuilds? almost every year you flood threads w/ trading our top players. i don't think ive seen someone further removed from reality on this forum, and there's stark competition for that.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bouchard got North of $10 M. We saw it with the Leafs when you have multiple stars and one pushes the boundaries of maximizing their contract the others will fallow suit as no one wants to be the one left out stuck with a team friendly contract.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Anything they get back from a Drai trade makes them a worse team this year. Their best bet to win a Cup is keep him this year and figure it out next summer. If he leaves, he leaves. Their window is much less open without him than with him.

True.

I don't see how they can keep him though, beyond this year, unless they can somehow dump Nurse's contract.

It means they are certainly all in on the last bullet in their gun. Cup or bust this year.

Reactions: wraithsonwings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad