Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I bet that the Jets would prefer to announce the signing closer to the season to produce some hype.

I think it's more everyone knows how Chevy negotiates by now and vice versa. He is very much about deadlines and TC is the next major deadline.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've also thought bridge for Cole - and still think that is where this is going.
I see no reason for the Jets to go long term on this one -
LY was the first real look at this player and he struggled a bit in the back half when things usually ramp up.
I'm in Perfetti's corner - but I don't see any reason to go up against the cap ceiling to make a deal they do not have to make.

That is a bit disingenuous, they had 50 games of him the year before.

He had a 90 game straight stretch where he posted 60 points before slumping a bit. I'd say that's decently proven and should have warranted more trust the back half from the org.

Buying now while he's likely undervalued due to usage and a slump is how you get massive gains on your cap later.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought it was obvious since Perfetti is clearly our 2C

Again, not sure if you're serious. OK, OK, that one is too obvious. Must be more :sarcasm:

He had a 90 game straight stretch where he posted 60 points before slumping a bit. I'd say that's decently proven and should have warranted more trust the back half from the org.

Buying now while he's likely undervalued due to usage and a slump is how you get massive gains on your cap later.

Exactly!

So why would Cole want to sign long term? Security? OK, but he could be giving up a lot to get that.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Again, not sure if you're serious. OK, OK, that one is too obvious. Must be more :sarcasm:

Exactly!

So why would Cole want to sign long term? Security? OK, but he could be giving up a lot to get that.
I personally wouldn't if I were him, but all the chatter seems to be he's willing to sign for tern. If true if I'm Chevy I'd be trying to get another bargain long term deal done. We will need some younger players on bargain deals to offset the older ones on big money declining deals.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I still think last yr would be the measuring stick -
Just my thoughts - I don't see any reason why the Jets would be in a hurry - especially when they have to exhaust the cap to do it.
I simply do not think this is risk free - was it usage or a slump? Or was it simply a learning curve that needs to be retested?
I know you answer - you've already stated it. But I'm looking at this purely based on performance.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've also thought bridge for Cole - and still think that is where this is going.
I see no reason for the Jets to go long term on this one -
LY was the first real look at this player and he struggled a bit in the back half when things usually ramp up.
I'm in Perfetti's corner - but I don't see any reason to go up against the cap ceiling to make a deal they do not have to make.
Its always a trade off. Inking him now long term might save money down the line for the Jets if he has a breakout season. Also allows a player to at least get paid once so your long term future is secured. A 6 or 7 year deal also puts Perfetti in the best possible position to get the big UFA contract in his late 20's.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just my thoughts - I don't see any reason why the Jets would be in a hurry - especially when they have to exhaust the cap to do it.
I simply do not think this is risk free - was it usage or a slump? Or was it simply a learning curve that needs to be retested?
I know you answer - you've already stated it. But I'm looking at this purely based on performance.
With proper usage Perfetti seems to be pretty much a lock to be a 20G - 40A - 60P guy minimum as he matures. Likely he exceeds that to some extent, maybe really exceeds that. I don't see a long term deal as that much of a gamble as we know he is at worst a 2nd line winger.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We could say the same about Beniers who posted a worse year then Cole on a worse team with better usage and just inked for ovr $7 million. You need to take some risks on young players or you dont get any long term cap savings.

People make far too much out of his slump. It was really only 10 games in the top 6 before being demoted until the end where he finished the year with 6 points in his last 5 games while helping pull the team out of its late season death spiral once reinserted into the top 6.

Anyhow all contracts are risks but you can't discount pretty much him playing consistently at a 2nd line level for the 1st 100 or so games of his career while focusing heavily on a much shorter bad stretch.

With proper usage Perfetti seems to be pretty much a lock to be a 20G - 40A - 60P guy minimum as he matures. Likely he exceeds that to some extent, maybe really exceeds that. I don't see a long term deal as that much of a gamble as we know he is at worst a 2nd line winger.

Agreed, he has pretty much done this over his first 100 games while not getting fist unit or other offensive situation usage.

Give him 16 to 17 minutes a game and I think he's a real good bet for 65 to 70 points depending on pp time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Exactly!

There is also strategy of maximizing your next deal. Players usually have their peak points production season somewhere in their late 20's. If you are 28 or 29 coming off a career year you can maximize a UFA deal.

Yeah but thats in a Tax free state so it would cost more here. Plus doubt the org entertains a 5 year term.
Agreed teams like Florida, TB, NYR, Dallas and LA can do things other teams can't for various location considerations.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I know you answer - you've already stated it. But I'm looking at this purely based on performance

Beniers got $50m over 7 years all whole producing less points, less goals, worse underlying statistics than Cole, last year. He also played 7 minutes a night more. So based on pure performance he should get something in that range. Did Beniers have a down year or is it who he is? That’s the bet that Seattle is making.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Beniers got $50m over 7 years all whole producing less points, less goals, worse underlying statistics than Cole, last year. He also played 7 minutes a night more. So based on pure performance he should get something in that range. Did Beniers have a down year or is it who he is? That’s the bet that Seattle is making.
Beniers had a great rookie season, before a down second season which isn't unusual. Also he is a 6.2 center and a 2nd OA pick. Perfetti probably comes in about $1 M less than him on the same length of contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Beniers had a great rookie season, before a down second season which isn't unusual. Also he is a 6.2 center and a 2nd OA pick. Perfetti probably comes in about $1 M less than him on the same length of contract.

Yup. He's worth more then Cole but is a good case study that young players no matter the talent or pedigree slump at times.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. He's worth more then Cole but is a good case study that young players no matter the talent or pedigree slump at times.
And the organization did no favours for Perfetti to get out of his slump. For me that was on Bones. For me when a young talented player struggles a bit give him some time with the #1 center and top PP and let him feel offense again.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I agree with some of what you are saying. I was responding to a post that said it should be based on performance last year where Cole had better numbers in significantly less ice time.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is also strategy of maximizing your next deal. Players usually have their peak points production season somewhere in their late 20's. If you are 28 or 29 coming off a career year you can maximize a UFA deal.

I think the peak production comes more in the mid 20s. Don't have a study to back that up, just a few individuals that I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad