Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Habs have the cap space and are at a stage that they can take a risk. If he even plays average, they can move him at the 2026 trade deadline.

Honestly I don’t mind the deal for the Habs. They aren’t competing for cups yet so they don’t have much to lose. It’s not awesome like Monahan where they got a 1st round pick to acquire him as a cap dump then they flipped in for another 1st round pick a few months later as a rental.

Now that was amazing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like the move by Armstrong.

He is getting a former 8th OA 23 year old D man, and a former 14th OA 22 year old with inflated AAV’s but it’s only two years of term for both guys. Neither of these guys are finished products yet and both are entering the beginning of their NHL careers. Where it goes we don’t know but I like the idea of getting show me deals and only having to give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

The overpay was necessary to pull off the gambit but it’s a retractable problem within two seasons.

To me the risk reward makes sense.

Edit: by show me deals I mean the term not the AAV.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can see that happening with Perfetti unsigned.

I'm assuming you meant can't?

I'm talking more in general and not specifically thus year.

He is getting a former 8th OA 23 year old D man, and a former 14th OA 22 year old with inflated AAV’s but it’s only two years of term for both guys. Neither of these guys are finished products yet and both are entering the beginning of their NHL careers. Where it goes we don’t know but I like the idea of getting show me deals and only having to give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

The overpay was necessary to pull off the gambit but it’s a retractable problem within two seasons.

They both were also buried on a contender. This is the type of risk I like. Players with pedigree that haven't had the opportunity to shine.

I'm not super big on Holloway but think he can ve a good middle 6 on the Blues. Broberg I expect to turn into a good second pairing dmen.

Reactions: Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm surprised they didn't match Holloway tbh. They probably need as much flexibility next year for Draisaitls new deal. Also with skinner, arvidsson, and savoie in the fold, dunno how big of a loss Holloway is. Likely wasn't going to be a top 6er.

Reactions: Jet

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Seems like the Blues were offer-sheeting them both and hoping to get one...but they got both.

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Seems like the Oilers pivoted pretty quickly.... replace Broberg & Holloway more cheaply with Emberson & Podkolzin, stockpile picks and accumulate cap space. Make it through the season and load up as needed at the deadline.

I actually don't mind this, given the situation the Blues put them in. This is probably the strategy for as long as McDavid and Draisaitl are in their primes.

Although it's a lesson to GMs that offer sheets are finally becoming a real thing.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
The real gambit is to offersheet Bouchard a big deal next year when Drais new contract kicks in. If you truly think he's a top pairing guy can EDM afford to keep both him and Drai?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Traditionally, offer sheets have been seen as a way of "screwing over" a rival GM but in this situation, it seems like a win for everyone

St Louis gets two young players with high pedigree who haven't lived up to their draft billing

Broberg and Holloway get paid more than than the RFA deals that Bowman was allegedly offering them

Edmonton gets cap relief

Of course the downsides are that St Louis overpaid (but just on 2 year RFA deals) and Edmonton lost a couple of assets with at least some value for a very small return (if indeed the side deal reached today was a part of this process)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm assuming you meant can't?

I'm talking more in general and not specifically thus year.

They both were also buried on a contender. This is the type of risk I like. Players with pedigree that haven't had the opportunity to shine.

I'm not super big on Holloway but think he can ve a good middle 6 on the Blues. Broberg I expect to turn into a good second pairing dmen.
Yes I meant can't. But I was also talking more than just Perfetti. He is just this year's RFA. Next season it will be Valardi and Samberg. Most years we will have RFAs, not just other teams. Chevy has always been very reluctant to go down this path as it soon becomes very inflationary to hold onto your good young players.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like the Oilers pivoted pretty quickly.... replace Broberg & Holloway more cheaply with Emberson & Podkolzin, stockpile picks and accumulate cap space. Make it through the season and load up as needed at the deadline.

I actually don't mind this, given the situation the Blues put them in. This is probably the strategy for as long as McDavid and Draisaitl are in their primes.

Although it's a lesson to GMs that offer sheets are finally becoming a real thing.

Another lesson for GMs ........ offer sheets might be better for these kinds of lower cost players than for the big name, big $$$, 4x1st rd pick level.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes I meant can't. But I was also talking more than just Perfetti. He is just this year's RFA. Next season it will be Valardi and Samberg. Most years we will have RFAs, not just other teams. Chevy has always been very reluctant to go down this path as it soon becomes very inflationary to hold onto your good young players.

That is a good point. But i do think if something is out there that we don't have in the system and really need, it's one way to try to acquire those assets.

We shouldn't be leaving any stone unturned.

Another lesson for GMs ........ offer sheets might be better for these kinds of lower cost players than for the big name, big $$$, 4x1st rd pick level.

Yup, teams will match for stars. But they may not match for players not fully proven players if tight against the cap.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
$7 mil for 2 busts. League needs another lockout.
Busts?

Broberg I'm still not sure about but I'd take Holloway - he's only played 89 NHL games ffs. 2.2MM on a 2 year deal? All day.

The only thing that concerns me about Broberg really is the AAV, but even then, it's 2 years, worth the risk. Especially for a team trying to reload like the Blues. Either things go well and they are back in the perennial playoff picture, or it goes sideways and they are free of them in 2 years.

Really good deal for St. Louis, I'm really shocked that the Oilers didn't at least match Holloway

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Traditionally, offer sheets have been seen as a way of "screwing over" a rival GM but in this situation, it seems like a win for everyone

St Louis gets two young players with high pedigree who haven't lived up to their draft billing

Broberg and Holloway get paid more than than the RFA deals that Bowman was allegedly offering them

Edmonton gets cap relief

Of course the downsides are that St Louis overpaid (but just on 2 year RFA deals) and Edmonton lost a couple of assets with at least some value for a very small return (if indeed the side deal reached today was a part of this process)

Edmonton also losses on potential upside. If Broberg hits as a second pairing shutdown guy then that is absolutely the type of piece they need.

As is there defensive depth is paper thin.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Johanson getting terminated. Wonder what that is about.

Some of these players who are pretty much hanging on by a thread as NHL caliber players that still have significant cash owing to them sure aren't all that smart at times.

If I were him I'd be doing everything possible to be on my best behavior.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Edmonton gets cap relief

St Louis just traded a prospect and a 3rd rounder to edmonton for futures... maybe this was planned

Reactions: Buffdog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad