Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
They’re backing themselves into a corner and the can’t come out unscathed. They have no answers for what the Oilers are throwing at them.
The bolded is a stretch in my humble opinion.

The Panthers went down early on a squeaker shorty by Brown (great goal btw), and were dominated for the first 20.

But,

The Panthers then answered back very well for the next 40 minutes. Both teams were gassed in the third. That was no runaway train for the H'uile. With Nurse at his finest, its open season on Skinner.

Also I will add that it looks like Tkachuk has awakened from his slumbers. Its an interesting series now... lots of drama.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
History is a funny thing...

The Florida Panthers are either going to be known as Stanley Cup champs OR the biggest chokers in modern NHL history.

Last time a team lost in back-to-back Stanley Cup finals - 1978 Boston

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

No surprise there as they have been linked with him for a while now. They need a goalie so this is likely a good move.

History is a funny thing...

The Florida Panthers are either going to be known as Stanley Cup champs OR the biggest chokers in modern NHL history.

Last time a team lost in back-to-back Stanley Cup finals - 1978 Boston

Yup, just goes to show what a truly special player can do at their best. McDavid is singlehandedly dragged his team back from the brink. Can he keep it up, and if he can can Florida even remotely hope to contain him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Completely different roles though. Lundell is a 3rd line centre, gets defensive roles, unsheltered. Hardly any PP time. If Lundell was a 2C numbers are probably higher, but conversely having a mentor like Barkov might have an impact that he wouldn't have achieved here. I'm willing to wait this one out longer before delivering a verdict. I think Perfetti's ceiling is higher...though maybe not as high as Jarvis.

Fair but it's not like Lundell got lesser linemates then Cole last year.

Cole largely played with Namestnikov and Iafallo whereas Lundell with Rodriquez and Luosteraonen. Lundell also got a decent amount of time with Tkachuk and Rheinhart (two players better then anything Cole got to work with).

But I agree far too soon to say.

Reactions: GNP and Buffdog

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Lundell would have been our 2C last season with his 55%FO and we'd still have our first pick... I'd still have taken him over Perfetti but very excited to see a line of Barron-Lambert-Perfetti hopefully this year

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was going to post the same thing. How refreshing to see a team not lose 4 in a row. Even though I am cheering against Edmonton.

Our organization has to figure out our annual right of passage where we race to the golf course by dropping the last 4 playoff games in a row every season (accept v the Blues).

Congrats to the dreaded Oilers for not pulling a Jets in the Cup final.

It must be nice to stink for so long and get lucky to have the best player since Lemieux to take a team on their back.

I feel Winnipeg has lost its way a bit as an org and have essentially morphed into Minnesota circa 2012-2022. A couple of good players and a bunch of decent depth that is good enough to grind their way in. Only then to get blitzed by much more talented teams.

This org has stopped developing high end talent and is instead desperately trying to patch holes with ok players as their talent ages out.

Unless we get back to hitting on a high number of picks and properly integrating them we don't have a hope in hell of competing with the big boys when the chips are down come the spring.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I feel Winnipeg has lost its way a bit as an org and have essentially morphed into Minnesota circa 2012-2022. A couple of good players and a bunch of decent depth that is good enough to grind their way in. Only then to get blitzed by much more talented teams.
I hadn't thought of it this way but I can certainly agree. I don't think I can equate the Helle/Scheif signings to the awful UFA signings Minnesota made, but maybe in time that will prove true. At this point though I don't find the deals outrageous and handicapping like the MN deals seemed to me at the time. That said, the end result seems to be as described, the mushy middle with occasionally great regular seasons followed by an early playoff exit. I'm guessing to be fair to the Wild they likely face the "cold tax" only to a slightly lesser extent than we do.

I thought our model was going to be Nashville but when I think about it, despite all the banners, Nashville's relative success doesn't seem all that different than Minnesota at the end of the day.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hadn't thought of it this way but I can certainly agree. I don't think I can equate the Helle/Scheif signings to the awful UFA signings Minnesota made, but maybe in time that will prove true. At this point though I don't find the deals outrageous and handicapping like the MN deals seemed to me at the time. That said, the end result seems to be as described, the mushy middle with occasionally great regular seasons followed by an early playoff exit. I'm guessing to be fair to the Wild they likely face the "cold tax" only to a slightly lesser extent than we do.

I thought our model was going to be Nashville but when I think about it, despite all the banners, Nashville's relative success doesn't seem all that different than Minnesota at the end of the day.

Agreed, Nashville is another pretty close comp.

Reactions: kanadalainen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It must be nice to stink for so long and get lucky to have the best player since Lemieux to take a team on their back.

This org has stopped developing high end talent and is instead desperately trying to patch holes with ok players as their talent ages out.

Unless we get back to hitting on a high number of picks and properly integrating them we don't have a hope on he'll of competing with the big boys when the chips are down come the spring.
More evidence that Buffalo Sabres are cursed... Edmonton should still be a turd hole.

I'm not as hard on Winnipeg as you... Vilardi is a high-end talent that is 100% going to be developed here, Samberg will emerge as an elite 2D this year I think, Stan has had chance after chance after chance, Lambert looks ready to make the jump... Heinola and our depth D is where we have flopped

TNSE's problem is more the scouting since Hillier took over - its all over the place and does not value Dmen - in my view, every 2nd and 3rd round pick should basically be defence... you are far more likely to find a quality defender in the mid-rounds and its far easier to find a forward on waivers

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
With all the talk about Coaches like Maurice etc, it seems in this series, McDavid is starting to take over the series. If he stays this hot, and Draisaital starts to score, I don't think the Coaches are all that relevant, compared to the will of the players to win. If the Oilers win Game 6 they will be very hard to beat.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With all the talk about Coaches like Maurice etc, it seems in this series, McDavid is starting to take over the series. If he stays this hot, and Draisaital starts to score, I don't think the Coaches are all that relevant, compared to the will of the players to win. If the Oilers win Game 6 they will be very hard to beat.

When McDavid is on, he's on. Hard to stop him getting 4 points in each of his last two games. Also Bobrovsky is back to a normal level of play. If he played that way from Game 1 I think the Oilers would have the chance to win the Cup in Game 6.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looks like PLD to Washington for Kuemper

Holly fack lol

So ends the great Dubois to LA experiment. But hey they were able to minimize the damage. I'll give their GM props for moving quickly to remove a problem. But they totally hemeraged value to do it.

Interesting. Markstrom is 34 and has only had one season with a > .905 save % in the last four years. The upside is that he only has two years under contract but he seems to be living off of one great season lately.

Maybe I'm missrembering how good he is lol.

Reactions: None and Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad