Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I stand by what I said the other day. Maurice is a CHOKER.

He’s the biggest snake oil salesman there’s ever been. Everybody’s been buying what he’s been selling and shame on them. He can’t get the job done. He just cannot prepare or inspire his teams to cross that finish line and unfortunately for him this MONUMENTAL COLLAPSE will put him in the record books!!!

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
the panties had their PP chances and they blew it...it wasnt one sided at all..
No it wasn’t one side but calling more penalties benefits the Oilers more. More room for McDavid to show his magic.
Also if you are going to call penalties in the third penalties call the too many men on the ice too. Panthers never had a 2:00 PP in the last 2 periods.
Oilers had 2 PPs and a PP late in the 3rd in the last 2 periods.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
No it wasn’t one side but calling more penalties benefits the Oilers more. More room for McDavid to show his magic.
Also if you are going to call penalties in the third penalties call the too many men on the ice too. Panthers never had a 2:00 PP in the last 2 periods.
they still had their chances...6 on 5 the last 3 minutes to tie and blew it

Reactions: roccerfeller

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I mean Cole has more goals and points in the last two years despite playing 29 less games. So yes I'm happier with him.
Completely different roles though. Lundell is a 3rd line centre, gets defensive roles, unsheltered. Hardly any PP time. If Lundell was a 2C numbers are probably higher, but conversely having a mentor like Barkov might have an impact that he wouldn't have achieved here. I'm willing to wait this one out longer before delivering a verdict. I think Perfetti's ceiling is higher...though maybe not as high as Jarvis.

Reactions: surixon

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Completely different roles though. Lundell is a 3rd line centre, gets defensive roles, unsheltered. Hardly any PP time. If Lundell was a 2C numbers are probably higher, but conversely having a mentor like Barkov might have an impact that he wouldn't have achieved here. I'm willing to wait this one out longer before delivering a verdict. I think Perfetti's ceiling is higher...though maybe not as high as Jarvis.
are u hinting that as a higher ceiling that would be a first line center!!!???

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I stand by what I said the other day. Maurice is a CHOKER.

He’s the biggest snake oil salesman there’s ever been. Everybody’s been buying what he’s been selling and shame on them. He can’t get the job done. He just cannot prepare or inspire his teams to cross that finish line and unfortunately for him this MONUMENTAL COLLAPSE will put him in the record books!!!

There's still two games left.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I stand by what I said the other day. Maurice is a CHOKER

I guess we'll find out if Maurice is a CHOKER ? but he has coached teams 3 times to the Stanley Cup final, so he must know something, and have some knowledge. Also did a very good job with the Jets, and had them in the playoffs, most of the time, so he's solid IMO.

If he happens to win the Cup with Florida, does this change your opinion of him ? It really shouldn't, as when it gets to the Final a lot depends on the players, and how much they want it. He has a really good group of players right now.

You might be right that he can't insert his will, and transfer that leadership into the players, to take that one big final step. I think he finally will take that last step, as he's a survivor in the NHL, and the odds say he will eventually win a Cup for himself. Hope he does.

I initially predicted a 6 -7 game series between these 2 teams, with Edmonton winning the Cup. This was before the series started tho, and when the Oilers went down 3-0, I only gave them a 11 - 12 % of winning. Now, with the Oilers taking games 4 and 5 I'd put their odds at around 40 % chance of winning the Cup, and if they win the next game, it's anybody's series -- like 50 - 50 chances both ways ( even)

The "only team" in NHL history to coma back from a 3-0 deficit, and win the Stanley Cup, is the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs. Could the Oilers be the 2nd team in NHL history to do it ?? could well be, if they win the next game ?

If the Oilers do come back and win, does this mean Maurice is a CHOKER ? I'm not sure I'd go along with that 100 %, but it does say something about him, that he hasn't been able to take that final BIG STEP -- but I bet it will come sometime.

Remember, this series is far from over, and the odds right now, strongly favour Florida to win this Stanley Cup series. We'll see what happens. Personally right now, I'm sort of 50 - 50, as to who will win, but I have to give the slight edge to Florida. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: kanadalainen

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
are u hinting that as a higher ceiling that would be a first line center!!!???
I can’t speak for Voyageur but when I say higher ceiling I mean Perfetti has the tools and game to be a ppg player in his prime and I think Lundell tops out at max as a 55 pt type player.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I guess we'll find out if Maurice is a CHOKER ? but he has coached teams 3 times to the Stanley Cup final, so he must know something, and have some knowledge. Also did a very good job with the Jets, and had them in the playoffs, most of the time, so he's solid IMO.

If he happens to win the Cup with Florida, does this change your opinion of him ? It really shouldn't, as when it gets to the Final a lot depends on the players, and how much they want it. He has a really good group of players right now.

You might be right that he can't insert his will, and transfer that leadership into the players, to take that one big final step. I think he finally will take that last step, as he's a survivor in the NHL, and the odds say he will eventually win a Cup for himself. Hope he does.

I initially predicted a 6 -7 game series between these 2 teams, with Edmonton winning the Cup. This was before the series started tho, and when the Oilers went down 3-0, I only gave them a 11 - 12 % of winning. Now, with the Oilers taking games 4 and 5 I'd put their odds at around 40 % chance of winning the Cup, and if they win the next game, it's anybody's series -- like 50 - 50 chances both ways ( even)

The "only team" in NHL history to coma back from a 3-0 deficit, and win the Stanley Cup, is the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs. Could the Oilers be the 2nd team in NHL history to do it ?? could well be, if they win the next game ?

If the Oilers do come back and win, does this mean Maurice is a CHOKER ? I'm not sure I'd go along with that 100 %, but it does say something about him, that he hasn't been able to take that final BIG STEP -- but I bet it will come sometime.

Remember, this series is far from over, and the odds right now, strongly favour Florida to win this Stanley Cup series. We'll see what happens. Personally right now, I'm sort of 50 - 50, as to who will win, but I have to give the slight edge to Florida. We'll see what happens.
I agree with some of what you say like a lot of it is on the players at this point, but the truly great coaches know how to push the right buttons in crucial times where as Maurice has no clue where the buttons are located.

They’re backing themselves into a corner and the can’t come out unscathed. They have no answers for what the Oilers are throwing at them.

My game #6 prediction is

Oilers 3
Panthers 0

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree with some of what you say like a lot of it is on the players at this point, but the truly great coaches know how to push the right buttons in crucial times where as Maurice has no clue where the buttons are located.

They’re backing themselves into a corner and the can’t come out unscathed. They have no answers for what the Oilers are throwing at them.

My game #6 prediction is

Oilers 3
Panthers 0
A lot of what you say is true, but with Maurice, he seems to get better a little bit at a time, the more he Coaches. He's not a natural leader, or strategist. Almost like he has to learn by trial and error.

Reminds me of Phil Mickelson in golf. He had not won a major til the age of 31 or 32. Everyone said he's a CHOKER. He kept positive, looked at the strengths of his game, and worked on his weaknesses. Now, Mickelson has 6 or 7 majors, and considered one of the best golfers ever, behind Tiger and Nicklaus. Some guys just take longer to master their skills. I wouldn't write Maurice off tho, he is a survivor. You have to remember that Maurice is Coaching against the best player in the world, and without McDavid, this series would be over, and Florida would have won already.

Next game -- my prediction is a 1 goal game -Oilers win 4-3. If that happens, and a Game 7 is on -- then it's 50 - 50 ( toss up)

Last edited:

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg

My game #6 prediction is

Oilers 3
Panthers 0
He could push all the buttons he wants, the fact of the matter is that the best hockey player in the world is scoring 4 points a game for the other team.

If McDavid continues to put up 4ppg, beat Gretzky's record for most points ever in a playoff run (he would at this pace), and lead his team back from 0-3 in the Cup finals nobody is going to look back on this and chalk it up to Maurice being a choker. It's going to be seen as one of the greatest playoff performances of all time by one of the greatest players of all time.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I can't believe this is still not done. As I said last year when this series was about to get underway, I don't care. As such, I'd be fine seeing Maurice get his cup. I'd also be fine seeing the Oilers pull off a comeback and steal Mo's cup from him. Either would be fine. I don't care. Just get it over! lol...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Playoff observation #55
Oilers are doing something this Jets roster will never do
Fighting back in a series
Shocking

I was going to post the same thing. How refreshing to see a team not lose 4 in a row. Even though I am cheering against Edmonton.

Our organization has to figure out our annual right of passage where we race to the golf course by dropping the last 4 playoff games in a row every season (accept v the Blues).

Congrats to the dreaded Oilers for not pulling a Jets in the Cup final.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Agreed, the zebras really blew the too many men missed call.

I *think* the H'uile won the on the number of Power Play calls in games 4 and 5. Special teams will give them this series.

I am no H'uilers fan, but its difficult not to appreciate what McMoses is doing -

1. Splits the Panthers' defensive sea.
2. With the Panthers' D at bay, sets up a small table with linen and service for two, with a dusty bottle of the finest Chateau Lafitte '28. The waiter shows up with a mint.
3. McJesus sits down, loosens his skates, swirls the contents of his glass, takes an exploratory taste of his libation, allows the alcohol to carry the citrus undercurrents to the receptors in his schnozz, and then pops a pass to Horrible Perry (half man, half slattern).
4. Blithely encroaches on Gretzky's all time points record.

Its horrifying, but fascinating. :)

Last edited:

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I think Hockey is an incredibly tough sport to officiate well. They should look at ways to help them more with a live eye in the sky and technology but the challenge is to keep the game moving while doing that.
Definitely agree. Its never going to be perfect - the "human" element of subjectivity injects a modicum of chaos into what is already a mighty chaotic game. There is a very "analog" feel to a fast played hockey game. As many like to say - puck luck is real.

Having said all of that, a too many men call is relatively simple to determine.. the evidence either presents itself or it does not. There is not much room for ambiguity on that kind of penalty.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Hope Oilers Wins it.
@PhilJets you are one of the most upbeat and positive members on this board. :) But in response to your plea to the gods of hockey I can only offer up this sentiment:

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad