Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio/Podcast Thread - Part 7

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Would kill for a Canadian version of this.

Considered cancelling cable, but the price of SN + TSN (that from what I hear doesn't work great) + PGA Live is getting near the ballpark of the price of my cable package anyways. I also don't have to deal with occasional buffering issues or it being slightly behind live, which is a problem when people text you about goals that haven't been scored yet.

I got cable and cancelled my SN and TSN subscriptions two years ago because...

a) at the time SN stopped working properly and couldn't even load a stream without buffering or crashing.

b) it was annoying that TSN didn't have an app on Roku, Prime, ect so i always had to connect my laptop to my tv watch TSN content.

c) the cost of both subscriptions was 45$/month or something like that when a basic cable package was 55$/month with all sportsnet and TSN channels.

With cable you get access to the streaming stuff for free so you can watch the game even if you aren't at home and with cable when I turn on my tv everything works properly and i don't have to run around connecting devices.

I don't think there's a big advantage to cutting cable anymore.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I got cable and cancelled my SN and TSN subscriptions two years ago because...

a) at the time SN stopped working properly and couldn't even load a stream without buffering or crashing.

b) it was annoying that TSN didn't have an app on Roku, Prime, ect so i always had to connect my laptop to my tv watch TSN content.

c) the cost of both subscriptions was 45$/month or something like that when a basic cable package was 55$/month with all sportsnet and TSN channels.

With cable you get access to the streaming stuff for free so you can watch the game even if you aren't at home and with cable when I turn on my tv everything works properly and i don't have to run around connecting devices.

I don't think there's a big advantage to cutting cable anymore.

Before moving in with me my girlfriend didn't have cable, so I had to log into these streaming services through my cable subscription while I was there. Sportsnet worked ok for me, but TSN was completely unusable. Buffer fest.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Trying to find a local radio show to listen too, Edmonton Sports talk was like grade 3s conversation that Nielson had at 1260 talking about SouthPark. 1440, I tried KK but he was talking basketball draft, which caused me to try Sportstalk. Then the I tried Lowetide, but he is a brutal fan boy. Now I'm listening to Gregor. I'm 50-50 with Gregor, some of the content I love but if you disagree with him, you are a dummy. Eventually turns me off.

Question, is there someone worth listening too around this town?

Reactions: Morpheus

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Trying to find a local radio show to listen too, Edmonton Sports talk was like grade 3s conversation that Nielson had at 1260 talking about SouthPark. 1440, I tried KK but he was talking basketball draft, which caused me to try Sportstalk. Then the I tried Lowetide, but he is a brutal fan boy. Now I'm listening to Gregor. I'm 50-50 with Gregor, some of the content I love but if you disagree with him, you are a dummy. Eventually turns me off.

One thing I don't like is that we don't have a proper call in show. Pat Steinberg does up to 2.5 hours after a game. We get a few oldies calling in and the hosts talking all of the time.

Even Canucks have a long post game show. I'm talking radio mainly, not podcasts

Reactions: harpoon

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
One thing I don't like is that we don't have a proper call in show. Pat Steinberg does up to 2.5 hours after a game. We get a few oldies calling in and the hosts talking all of the time.

Even Canucks have a long post game show. I'm talking radio mainly, not podcasts
Seems like they want texters

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32

I think you summed up YEG radio quite well.
No arguments here and unfortunately I don’t have any recommendations either.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I think you summed up YEG radio quite well.
No arguments here and unfortunately I don’t have any recommendations either.
So I tried Edmonton Sports Talk this morning, some Oilers, Elks and even an update from the World Football U20. Then the kids started to talk about snow cones or ice cream with cream soda, I don't know.

Lets give 1440 a try again

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Anyone know where Reid Wilkins is headed? Seems like he’s finished at CHED. Quirky host, but I have always enjoyed his show and he did a great job post games with Rob Brown. Curious if others have heard anything.

With the financial difficulties at Corus, wonder if the Oiler broadcast is in jeopardy at all. Basically a penny stock now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With the financial difficulties at Corus, wonder if the Oiler broadcast is in jeopardy at all. Basically a penny stock now.
This was the first thing that came to my mind, although I don't know that it'll go anywhere. Doesn't seem like it's something that would be losing them money. I could just see the production value going down and them finding cheaper alternatives than the people they have in place now in the various positions it takes to do the broadcast.

Either that or they just end up with the TV feed or away teams radio feed.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Anyone know where Reid Wilkins is headed? Seems like he’s finished at CHED. Quirky host, but I have always enjoyed his show and he did a great job post games with Rob Brown. Curious if others have heard anything.

Is his show continuing with a new host, or is it just gone completely?

He kind of got shafted with his show moving from drive time to 7-8pm for Oilers Now. I'm assuming that pretty much nobody is listening to the radio at that time, so it isn't a surprise to me if they just dumped the show entirely.

Reactions: oilers'72

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Curious what you liked about the post game show. I’ve been a regular listener and I think Reid Wilkins is legit terrible. He doesn’t take many calls and gets all huffy with people who talk about topics he doesn’t like. Show is always short and seems to be getting shorter every season. He does seem to have a good memory for stats and dates. I used to enjoy the post game show when it was longer with a variety of callers. Rob Brown usually had interesting insights but lately even he seems to be less invested in the show. It’s like they are going through the motions and getting out the door as soon as possible. It would be sad if the show was cut entirely, but I welcome a change in the host.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
This was the first thing that came to my mind, although I don't know that it'll go anywhere. Doesn't seem like it's something that would be losing them money. I could just see the production value going down and them finding cheaper alternatives than the people they have in place now in the various positions it takes to do the broadcast.

Either that or they just end up with the TV feed or away teams radio feed.
I was thinking of the viability of the company due to their debt concerns. Maybe heading towards bankruptcy/restructuring.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Corus a sinking ship.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 20-22-20 Corus Entertainment Inc. (CJR-B.TO) Stock Price News Quote &...png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have to say that I am not really all that surprised by this.
I for one dont listen much at all even though its easy to access while I am driving.

When I listen to sports I have no interest in hearing the same news script every 30 minutes.
I listen to (and watch) sports to forget about how much BS is going on in the world.
Its a happy diversion for me.
If I want to listen to news I will turn on 880.

That aside even their sports content isnt really that good.

Not much reason to listen to CHED IMO and apparently I am not alone in thinking that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Curious what you liked about the post game show. I’ve been a regular listener and I think Reid Wilkins is legit terrible. He doesn’t take many calls and gets all huffy with people who talk about topics he doesn’t like. Show is always short and seems to be getting shorter every season. He does seem to have a good memory for stats and dates. I used to enjoy the post game show when it was longer with a variety of callers. Rob Brown usually had interesting insights but lately even he seems to be less invested in the show. It’s like they are going through the motions and getting out the door as soon as possible. It would be sad if the show was cut entirely, but I welcome a change in the host.
I agree although I would welcome a change in stations.
Most (if not all) large Canadian cities have a Sports only radio station...except for Edmonton.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Nah Reed is fine Tencer was legit terrible and down right rude a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad