Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
am I the only Jets fan here that wants the Oilers to win :) :naughty:
Quite possibly. I'm indifferent as to the outcome of tonight's game. I cannot bring myself to cheer for the Oilers at all, though. They had the luxury of the last great hockey dynasty and have yet again bumbled their way into multiple generational talents and are again on the verge of another dynasty. Meanwhile we have alternated between long stretches of mediocrity and the indignity of not having a NHL team at all for a long stretch.

They are the kid who lives in a mansion that gets driven to school in a Rolls Royce. We are the downtrodden underdog kid living in a trailer that has to make our own lunches and stand out in the cold hoping the bus will remember to come pick us up. And then when we get home from school we have to face the wrath of daddy chipman telling us we're not doing enough to support the family. I mean good for the Oilers, but I will never cheer for the spoiled rich kid.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's the same argument we have here weekly. Does Hellebuyck have to be better or is the team in front of him so bad that only a goalie playing at a God like level is going to win the game.

If the only way the Panthers win the cup is by Bob playing at his Game 1 level then do they really deserve to win?
You keep going back to this. You are doing your best to create a straw man, or you are trying to make a completely different point, or you are just being an .

Bob did not play to his Game 1 level when the Panthers won game 2
Bob did not play to his Game 1 level when the Panthers won game 3.

So no, he does not have to play at his game 1 level or be god like for the Panthers to win. 0.914 isn't god like. But he does need to be a hell of a lot better than he has been the last three games in order for them to have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You keep going back to this. You are doing your best to create a straw man, or you are trying to make a completely different point, or you are just being an .

Bob did not play to his Game 1 level when the Panthers won game 2
Bob did not play to his Game 1 level when the Panthers won game 3.

So no, he does not have to play at his game 1 level or be god like for the Panthers to win. 0.914 isn't god like. But he does need to be a hell of a lot better than he has been the last three games in order for them to have a chance.

Bob didn't play to his Game 1 level in game 2 and 3 because the Panthers played well enough to win. I'd even say in Game 3 the difference was a poor 10 minutes from Skinner.

Bob "being better" wasn't going to win Games 4, 5 or 6 so the argument stands. If you're commentary on the series is "Bob has to be better" then I'm not sure what series you've been watching. Yes he needs to be better but so do 18 other Panthers, such as the forwards who got 0 shots on goal in 30 minutes in Game 6. I'd say the real issue is the Panthers forwards need to be better.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Bob didn't play to his Game 1 level in game 2 and 3 because the Panthers played well enough to win. I'd even say in Game 3 the difference was a poor 10 minutes from Skinner.

Bob "being better" wasn't going to win Games 4, 5 or 6 so the argument stands. If you're commentary on the series is "Bob has to be better" then I'm not sure what series you've been watching. Yes he needs to be better but so do 18 other Panthers, such as the forwards who got 0 shots on goal in 30 minutes in Game 6. I'd say the real issue is the Panthers forwards need to be better.
Last time I checked, the goalie is part of the team just like any other position

It's like saying "if the Oilers can't win without Mcdavid playing the way he has, do they even deserve to win?"

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Last time I checked, the goalie is part of the team just like any other position

It's like saying "if the Oilers can't win without Mcdavid playing the way he has, do they even deserve to win?"

He is, but singling him out over the other guys on the team doesn't seem really relevant. The team in front of him was not good enough to win those games either.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

If your commentary on the series is '0.688, 0.826, 0.842 goaltending is fine if the forwards play better' then I'm not sure what planet you are on. But for sure, the broadcast signal for the games is not reaching there.

Anyway, enjoy game 7.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Does Bob have to be better or be luckier?
Foegele goal hits Bob's shaft and in.
Henrique goal post and in.
Hyman goal Bob gets a piece of it and it goes in.
Its a game of inches with a bit of luck when you get to the finals.

Reactions: Hardino

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If your commentary on the series is '0.688, 0.826, 0.842 goaltending is fine if the forwards play better' then I'm not sure what planet you are on. But for sure, the broadcast signal for the games is not reaching there.

Anyway, enjoy game 7.

I think that sv% is a function of the really poor play of the forwards and defence.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think that sv% is a function of the really poor play of the forwards and defence.
It usually is to a certain extent, especially when the poor play of the forwards and defense leads to more high danger scoring chances against. Example - chances off the rush against the Panthers in this series, or the Jets playoff against the Golden Knights.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It usually is to a certain extent, especially when the poor play of the forwards and defense leads to more high danger scoring chances against. Example - chances off the rush against the Panthers in this series, or the Jets playoff against the Golden Knights.

Right, so my point was for the Panthers to win I think their play up front is more of a concern than Bobrovsky.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not an Oiler fan at all, but that team bounced back from adversity all season long.
Do I hope they win NO
but it won’t be shocking.
The HF Oilers is going to be almost as hard to take as the Leafs one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad