Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I have no idea why a team full of bloated, shit-ass contracts decided to bring in a $4.6 million backup. They've boxed themselves into a corner AGAIN with bad goaltending. Career shitty playoff performer Samsanov and washed up Murray ... they never learn
No real quality goaltenders last ufa class.
Samsonov had a real good year but you aren't gonna win much or have a good night giving up 8 power plays including a major to the Tampa bay lighting

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just went to the Leafs PGT for bask in their suffering but I was surprised at how calm people are in there. It's almost a "well, what do you expect" mentality.

Nothing worse than when a fanbase becomes apathetic, but it looks like it might be starting to set in over there

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Or these teams make poor decisions for them. They go with proven bad options or career backups.

I just don't understand it.

We see miracle runs from random goalies you've never heard of nearly every year, yet good teams continue to employ known, bad goalies.

Just roll the dice on 10 AHL goalies, and you'll probably find one that gets hot.

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii

We see miracle runs from random goalies you've never heard of nearly every year, yet good teams continue to employ known, bad goalies.

Just roll the dice on 10 AHL goalies, and you'll probably find one that gets hot.
This is the most brilliant thing I’ve read in a while.
I made a post on the jets playoff thread recently. Either you find a legend, (Brodeur/Roy/Hasek/Vasilevsky/Fleury/Young Quick), or you have to have the goalie with the hot hand (see Neimi, Young Murray, Binnington, Kuemper etc).
It’s not going to be an average run of the mill 5th year starting “average” goalie who gets you to the finals. They get you booted in the first 2 rounds.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This is the most brilliant thing I’ve read in a while.
I made a post on the jets playoff thread recently. Either you find a legend, (Brodeur/Roy/Hasek/Vasilevsky/Fleury/Young Quick), or you have to have the goalie with the hot hand (see Neimi, Young Murray, Binnington, Kuemper etc).
It’s not going to be an average run of the mill 5th year starting “average” goalie who gets you to the finals. They get you booted in the first 2 rounds.
how many in your "legends" category are readily available? teams are not giving up those guys unless they're at the point of being past their prime and crazy regression. so teams will have to inherently have to take more risks on back-ups or unproven goalies.

Kuemper had i believe 2 years out of 8 where he got a starters workload (highest amount of game started of his team's goalies) prior to being acquired by COL. but i think he had enough of a GP to not be categorized as a "hot-hand" in net given guys like Binnington or Murray in that category.

Just to bring it back to the Jets POV. for having arguably a top-5ish goalie in the NHL and someone id classify as a future-NHL Legend/All-time Great over the last several years, barring the conclusion of this POs, have a pretty unremarkable record with zilch to show for it.

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
how many in your "legends" category are readily available? teams are not giving up those guys unless they're at the point of being past their prime and crazy regression. so teams will have to inherently have to take more risks on back-ups or unproven goalies.

Kuemper had i believe 2 years out of 8 where he got a starters workload (highest amount of game started of his team's goalies) prior to being acquired by COL. but i think he had enough of a GP to not be categorized as a "hot-hand" in net given guys like Binnington or Murray in that category.

Just to bring it back to the Jets POV. for having arguably a top-5ish goalie in the NHL and someone id classify as a future-NHL Legend/All-time Great over the last several years, barring the conclusion of this POs, have a pretty unremarkable record with zilch to show for it.
Oh I agree with you.
Legends are not regularly available. Vasilevsky will be a Bolt until he retires (unless he has an "into his late 30s" career like MAF). As a Jets fan, Helle feels close to being in that "legend" category, but he hasn't gotten us there. He's just REALLY REALLY good.

Now that I think about it. Vasilevsky, MAF, Brodeur, Quick, Roy, and Hasek are the only goalies I recall going to multiple cup finals because they are "that goalie" (and Osgood, but I'm not sure if he went there because he was great or because no one was beating the Wings those years).
That's like six dudes in my lifetime. When there are more than 24 teams and only six goalies in the span of 30 years, who are expected to put a team close...

And then I go consult the internet.
There appear to be a few more. I forgot about Belfour, JSG, and Mike Richter.
Those guys in their prime, too, would every year take their team to the conference finals or if they didn't, we were surprised.

Top 5 is not what I mean. Either you need Vasilevsky, OR you need the one goalie who no one expected. I'm bummed because Helle hasn't written himself into the record books any more than a Tom Barasso/John Vanbeesbrook type. He's good, but when the money is on the table, he comes up empty (or the team in front of him does). Carey Price, Marty Turco, Patrick Lalime, Roberto Luongo, Ryan Miller, and many more REALLY good goalies come to mind. They are INCREDIBLE. Until they get to the playoffs... and then they become human again.

Which is why, taking an AHL goalie who has tremendous potential might be just as viable as trying to take an average NHL backup goalie who has already spent his time as a "good vet" in the words of Paul Maurice.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

I have thought the same thing. Throw a bunch of journeyman goalies against the wall and hope one sticks.

TaKe the science/scouting out of the equation and play the odds.

I think the relation between team styles and goalie’s performance needs to be assessed more. Some goalies just outperform playing for certain types of teams.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Oh I agree with you.
Legends are not regularly available. Vasilevsky will be a Bolt until he retires (unless he has an "into his late 30s" career like MAF). As a Jets fan, Helle feels close to being in that "legend" category, but he hasn't gotten us there. He's just REALLY REALLY good.

Now that I think about it. Vasilevsky, MAF, Brodeur, Quick, Roy, and Hasek are the only goalies I recall going to multiple cup finals because they are "that goalie" (and Osgood, but I'm not sure if he went there because he was great or because no one was beating the Wings those years).
That's like six dudes in my lifetime. When there are more than 24 teams and only six goalies in the span of 30 years, who are expected to put a team close...

Those guys in their prime, too, would every year take their team to the conference finals or if they didn't, we were surprised.

Top 5 is not what I mean. Either you need Vasilevsky, OR you need the one goalie who no one expected. I'm bummed because Helle hasn't written himself into the record books any more than a Tom Barasso/John Vanbeesbrook type. He's good, but when the money is on the table, he comes up empty (or the team in front of him does). Carey Price, Marty Turco, Patrick Lalime, Roberto Luongo, Ryan Miller, and many more REALLY good goalies come to mind. They are INCREDIBLE. Until they get to the playoffs... and then they become human again.

Which is why, taking an AHL goalie who has tremendous potential might be just as viable as trying to take an average NHL backup goalie who has already spent his time as a "good vet" in the words of Paul Maurice.
i do agree he's coming up short in the POs, but might not be all on him like you alluded. anyway, i did preface by saying "future" all-time great, :laugh: he still has a lot of his career left to go. but a Vezina win, multiple top-5 finishes, with another 5+ years to go. we'll see. i think he's comfortably a yearly top-5ish guy, the order might change a bit but he's in or v close to that tier.

but yea there's only a few goalies that are in that legend/elite category so inherently most teams have players that are up & down, unproven, chance on back-ups etc.

i was going to make a post about COL a couple weeks ago but forgot. at all-strengths, they have been 11th, 6th and 6th the last 3 years in sv% (18th, 8th, 8th in GA vs xGA from MP) with 3 different goalies with minimal seasons as the starter (Grubauer, Kuemper, Georgiev)

Last edited:
Reactions: ennsjd07

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Oh I agree with you.

I also wonder if Vasi is better than Helly or plays for a better team. Hedman, cernak vs Mo and pionk. Is it the forwards. Coaching?
Last player I remember carrying a team consistently much further than they deserved was Hasek.

Reactions: ennsjd07

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Bunting with 3 games.. Wow...After a number of Leaf fans infiltrated our boards back in 2021 proclaiming that the Scheifele hit on Evans was predatory and warranted a lengthier suspension, i almost feel compelled to do the same. Thankfully I'm not a deplorable Leafs fan, and could care less. Wish them nothing but a first round exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad