Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Anyone watching Prime's coverage of the NHL tonight with Mtl vs Pitts?

Quality is soooo much better than anything you'll get through the Sportsnet or TSN apps. True 4K and amazing sound as well.

Really puts to shame the two main Canadian broadcasters as they have never provided anything better than 1080p-ish(often dips to 720p when heavy demand) streaming despite being these huge monopolies. We deserve better, especially considering how ultra expensive both services are.
Prime has a huge advantage in streaming as they have zero infrastructure provider costs. Everyone else needs to pay a markup to AWS to driver the services.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Getting traded seems like the wake up he needed. Good for him.
Helps when you’re in an organization that supports and believes in you. He’s in a much better situation. Hope he can keep it going.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't have Prime but will probably accept a free trial to check out the hockey. Is it just part of the base subscription or do you have to pay a separate hockey sub on top of it?

I subscribed to Prime just to watch Rings of Power lol but I have been watching some movies I never watched before like Killer Klowns for Outer Space :laugh:

Colorado is in trouble, they're still losing tonight 4-1 against the Islanders

This is karma for not giving Brannstrom his chance...

I wonder if we could interest them in a Forsberg or Sogaard? :dunce:

Reactions: BigRig4

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I subscribed to Prime just to watch Rings of Power lol but I have been watching some movies I never watched before like Killer Klowns for Outer Space :laugh:

This is karma for not giving Brannstrom his chance...

I wonder if we could interest them in a Forsberg or Sogaard? :dunce:
Well I'm a huge LotR fan, but can't cay I'm interested in RoP, but I won't go there lol, there is definitely plenty of other content.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Wait the prime video game was nationally televised? I'll have to check it out next Monday assuming it's every week.

I think streaming is the right move over the long term but it also needs to be paired with the players and teams getting involved as well to sell the sport.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well I'm a huge LotR fan, but can't cay I'm interested in RoP, but I won't go there lol, there is definitely plenty of other content.
Prime has a few shows worth watching, depending on your taste.

The Boys
ROP
Grand tour (sadly it's over)
Clarkson's farm
Fallout
Good omens

The downside is you're supporting amazon.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
RoP Season 2 I thought was pretty good. Tons of people watching it aswell

Really? A lot of people criticised season 1 and despite some quibbles I was overall positive on it, but Season 2 has been utterly painful. I remember hearing the first one was really expensive, did they like slash the budget in half? Everything feels off on it lol

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
RoP Season 2 I thought was pretty good. Tons of people watching it aswell
Ya, I'm not a big running show formula guy because of the structure of constant twists and cliffhangers and the overall fate of the shows resting mostly on streaming numbers. I typically stick to movies and mini series', but do make some exceptions. I'm also a big LotR fan and just did a full Hobbit/LofR extended marathon a few weeks ago, so I'm probably in that camp of preferring not to go there out of snobbery. The original trilogy is imo the best, most epic set of films ever made, and I also think the Hobbit was overcriticized and underrated unless you're overly attached to the book and take issue with the changes.
Prime has a few shows worth watching, depending on your taste.

The Boys
ROP
Grand tour (sadly it's over)
Clarkson's farm
Fallout
Good omens

The downside is you're supporting amazon.
Fallout I really enjoyed, but I found other means to watch that.

I don't have Prime because despite public perception, you don't really need prime to get free shipping since you just need to total $35, which is a real low bar. You can add food or household items to get there easily.
Really? A lot of people criticised season 1 and despite some quibbles I was overall positive on it, but Season 2 has been utterly painful. I remember hearing the first one was really expensive, did they like slash the budget in half? Everything feels off on it lol
I've heard the same actually. Was brought up in the dressing room at hockey the other night. Apparently the 1st season was very slow, whereas there's more happening this season? No idea on the budget though and no interest for me anyways.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean, you can find other means to watch just about anything...

But yeah, I was not expecting to like Fallout but it was really good.
For sure.

Me neither. I'm not into the games and thought it looked kind of campy, but it was engaging imo. Not quite as enjoyable as The Last of Us that I'd watched just before, but still interesting nonetheless.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For sure.

Me neither. I'm not into the games and thought it looked kind of campy, but it was engaging imo. Not quite as enjoyable as The Last of Us that I'd watched just before, but still interesting nonetheless.
I did it the other way around, watched the last of us after finishing Fallout, fallout was more fun, while Last of us more engaging with the drama, both blew away my expectations.

I actually started playing fallout 4 after watching the show, but I'm an infrequent gamer.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I did it the other way around, watched the last of us after finishing Fallout, fallout was more fun, while Last of us more engaging with the drama, both blew away my expectations.

I actually started playing fallout 4 after watching the show, but I'm an infrequent gamer.
Interesting. I think that got a lot of people either into the game or back in to it. Did you play The Last of Us at all? The original on PS3 was pretty near and dear for me and the series really captured that in the intro episode. I also just really appreciated the barren post apocalyptic setting and all the accompanying drama, as you reference.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting. I think that got a lot of people either into the game or back in to it. Did you play The Last of Us at all? The original on PS3 was pretty near and dear for me and the series really captured that in the intro episode. I also just really appreciated the barren post apocalyptic setting and all the accompanying drama, as you reference.
I started last of us but never really got far, I had the remake as a freebie when I got a PS4, so it was a touch dated by the time I got playing it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I started last of us but never really got far, I had the remake as a freebie when I got a PS4, so it was a touch dated by the time I got playing it.
That's fair. They sure milked those in general. I don't play much for games anymore either, but the new remasters on PS5 (and PC too I think?) are solid by todays standards if you ever feel like picking them up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad