Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'll write it out for you again since you chose to seemingly ignore it:

I didn't ignore it, it was just not worth engaging with since it was nothing but wishful thinking.

This is an outright ridiculous statement. Only 3 teams scored fewer goals than us in 2022-23 and made the playoffs - Winnipeg, Minnesota, NYI. Only 4 teams who scored more goals than us missed the playoffs. There's literally a direct line from scoring more to making the playoffs. In consecutive offseasons since Debrincat left, the team has signed scoring wingers - Tarasenko and Perron. You seem to be like the only person who watches this team and thinks the bolded is true.

The team was young and improving. We had Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris and Brown, added Pinto to finish the year and then Giroux was coming home in the summer.

Was no need to go big with a DeBrincat acquisition. I don't know how much more proof you need than the fact he literally played on the 2nd line all year with 2nd PP minutes for the most part.

Would have been much smarter to keep Brown, trade for Dach and utilize the extra cap space to improve the team in other more important areas.

Yeah, sorry I'm not buying the value of a 13OA vs. a 7OA being essentially the same. No one would trade back from 7 to 13 without a massive plus and trying to make that argument continues to show just how much you're willing to bend the facts to suit your preposterous narrative.

I didn't think I needed to clarify that trading for Dach instead of DeBrincat would not mean giving up exactly the same assets :laugh:

I would hope that Dorion would not have offered the 7th OVR pick for Dach without a plus coming back the Sens' way considering what the Habs were offering, but then again he did give up a 3rd for Hamonic because he didn't have a 4th round pick, so we're not dealing with the brightest bulb of the bunch.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lots of guys have been hesitant to come to Ottawa. Then they actually get here, talk to other players, meet the team and staff, get to know the city and decide to stay. We literally just saw it happen with Ullmark. This is the reality of the Ottawa market. We've always known that we're bottom of the league for free agent destinations. The way we've consistently gotten people to stay is by having them come to the city and realize for themselves how great it is. It just didn't happen to work this time. It's still not a good trade, when you consider the final result, but there's not really a lot of ways to get guys to come here long term.
I think that's all well and good, Staios obviously made a similar bet with Ullmark that has paid off, but when you specifically request and are declined a conversation, I think that's enough of a red flag to walk away, or at least when push comes to shove, you fall on your own sword.

It's funny cuz until he said that himself, I'd have been a lot more forgiving, but after I heard that it's like, well, you knew the risks and already had a check mark to put in the unlikely column.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad