Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
What a complete A-hole.. With a list of bad decisions that extend from the time he was made GM to the time he was let go... Accelerating the rebuild is what he choses to try to defend himself with. No mention of the back to back to back wasted 1st round picks plus the one they have to forfeit.

He is also quite wrong with respect to accelerating the rebuild- as per usual. The Monahan trade did not accelerate Habs rebuild, they made the trade in Summer 2022, the pick from Calgary has not even been made yet - it will be a 2025 pick probably late 1st round as it will likely be the FLA pick, realistically won't be in the lineup until 2027 (a full 5 years after the trade) at the earliest. The pick they got for Monahan from Winnipeg became Hage who just started his NCAA career and is like at least 2-3 years from making an impact. Unless Dorion is saying the habs should have pulled a Pierre and traded that Calgary pick for some guy on an expiring contract with no assurances he would resign, there was not much accelerating the rebuild in that Monahan trade.

Don't get me wrong, there was certainly value in that Monahan trade. Pierre had money though in the same summer he traded a 1st (7OA), a 2nd(39th OA) and a 3rd to get Debrincat who was making more money than Monahan. He too could have kept his 3 picks and then used that $$ on acquiring Monahan and getting another 1st.

Pierre has no one but himself to blame for his mistakes.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He is also quite wrong with respect to accelerating the rebuild- as per usual. The Monahan trade did not accelerate Habs rebuild, they made the trade in Summer 2022, the pick from Calgary has not even been made yet - it will be a 2025 pick probably late 1st round as it will likely be the FLA pick, realistically won't be in the lineup until 2027 (a full 5 years after the trade) at the earliest. The pick they got for Monahan from Winnipeg became Hage who just started his NCAA career and is like at least 2-3 years from making an impact. Unless Dorion is saying the habs should have pulled a Pierre and traded that Calgary pick for some guy on an expiring contract with no assurances he would resign, there was not much accelerating the rebuild in that Monahan trade.

Don't get me wrong, there was certainly value in that Monahan trade. Pierre had money though in the same summer he traded a 1st (7OA), a 2nd(39th OA) and a 3rd to get Debrincat who was making more money than Monahan. He too could have kept his 3 picks and then used that $$ on acquiring Monahan and getting another 1st.

Pierre has no one but himself to blame for his mistakes.
He is doing himself a disservice if he's now trying to defend his poor choices. Just let it lie and move on.

Reactions: CDN24

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I was never a Dorion fan. I did not like him when he was appointed and really disliked him when he traded Zibanejad. Then it got worse and worse over time.
The only time I was a fan, was when we had the Summer of Pierre. But then that went to shit and I was waiting for him to be fired by Melnyk. Thankfully we got a new owner who cleaned house.

I am still angry about Zibanejad to this day. I think we have a balanced line up moving forward. We do need to stock the draft cupboards though.

What rules did they cheat?
Utilizing IR to get under the cap, to bring in players at the deadline. Shirking contracts, such as the case with Lehner.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just let him Lie and keep burying himself. I can't stand him.
There is at least an entertainment factor if he chooses to try to go there on his own, but imo he should just accept his Mike Milbury like disaster legacy and move on to something else. He has little to no credibility at this point imo.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Utilizing IR to get under the cap, to bring in players at the deadline. Shirking contracts, such as the case with Lehner.

All within the rules.

For all the talk about IR shenanigans helping them win a cup, the only players they added because Stone went on LTIR were Teddy Blueger and Jonathan Quick, neither of whom made a lick of a difference in the playoffs.

Last year Stone going on LTIR allowed them to add Hertl, who himself was on LTIR until the last 6 games of the season, as he actually came back earlier than expected from his knee surgery. If he hadn't come back early that argument also falls apart.

And of course this is assuming that Stone wasn't actually experiencing back issues when he went on LTIR, which there's no proof for.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What a complete A-hole.. With a list of bad decisions that extend from the time he was made GM to the time he was let go... Accelerating the rebuild is what he choses to try to defend himself with. No mention of the back to back to back wasted 1st round picks plus the one they have to forfeit.

He's such a smug shameless little weasel.

One of the worst GMs in this league's history.

If he was smart he'd shut his mouth and hope as time passes that people forget about what how damaging his tenure was to this franchise, but he's too stupid or vapid to realize that.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
All within the rules.

For all the talk about IR shenanigans helping them win a cup, the only players they added because Stone went on LTIR were Teddy Blueger and Jonathan Quick, neither of whom made a lick of a difference in the playoffs.

Last year Stone going on LTIR allowed them to add Hertl, who himself was on LTIR until the last 6 games of the season, as he actually came back earlier than expected from his knee surgery. If he hadn't come back early that argument also falls apart.

And of course this is assuming that Stone wasn't actually experiencing back issues when he went on LTIR, which there's no proof for.
alright alright alright.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Yes. Overhype an unrelenting and crazy fan base. Perfect. They can eat thenselves.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So Woll is injured so the leafs called up Hildeby. They don’t have cap space, how is this legal ?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
All I know is Anaheim didn’t qualify him and had him on a PTO this year.
they sound kind of similar. You'd have to really know the player to make a switch like that. Seems like he stalled in Detroit and ran out of room in Anaheim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad