Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Maybe George Paros is good for hockey? He came into player safety when the game was at its softest and the game has gotten more violent, more goony and more hateful which is all good stuff. Thoughts?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So Boston has picked up Vancouver's Jiří Patera on waivers, fuelling more netminder speculation where they could have him as the backup to Korpi

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Korchinski never should have been in the NHL at 19, especially on a dumpster fire team.

Terrible way to develop a promising young defenseman. Having him spend some time in the AHL should be good for his development, but you never like to see a player drop levels.
they kept him up cause they thought he was too good for juniors. Now that he can play in the AHL it makes sense they sent him there.

Seems like this was the plan

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I am not clear on the details re Lehner but it just triggered me on Vegas somehow getting their way with the NHL
I don't know if I think Vegas is getting their way. Lehner never showed up to camp and is clearly in trouble with his money and finiances. Not showing up to camp "should" clear them of having him on their cap as he voided his contract.

I guess they reached some sort of agreement to pay him a % of what he's owed instead of going through the ringer with lawyers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know if I think Vegas is getting their way. Lehner never showed up to camp and is clearly in trouble with his money and finiances. Not showing up to camp "should" clear them of having him on their cap as he voided his contract.

I guess they reached some sort of agreement to pay him a % of what he's owed instead of going through the ringer with lawyers.
I am sure you are right. just emo on my part

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Unsure how that works.

If he's still being paid, he should be on the cap one way or another.

Though, I am absolutely awful at understanding that kind of stuff with labour relations and law

It's likely his contract was voided and he agreed not to grieve it for a pay-out of some fraction of the remaining contract amount.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It sounded like the team knew he wasn't going to be available to play, and he let them know in advance since there wasn't a reason for him to come to camp he was just going to skip it, like, I doubt Pronger was showing up to Philly for Camp from 2012 to 2015 and then heading over to Arz until 2018?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Maybe George Paros is good for hockey? He came into player safety when the game was at its softest and the game has gotten more violent, more goony and more hateful which is all good stuff. Thoughts?
I always appreciated what Shanahan did with his video explanations. Even if he missed the mark on several decisions, there was an attempt at decorum and transparency. Paros being in charge of DoPS is a sick joke.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It seems fishy to me. Lehner not going to Vegas for a medical to ensure he gets paid is unlikely unless the agent and player were misled by Vegas that it wasn’t necessary. No way Newport Sports screwed this up. The fact that he is going to fully collect makes this seem planned in advance.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It sounded like the team knew he wasn't going to be available to play, and he let them know in advance since there wasn't a reason for him to come to camp he was just going to skip it, like, I doubt Pronger was showing up to Philly for Camp from 2012 to 2015 and then heading over to Arz until 2018?
Likewise with Callahan in Ottawa, but it deosn't seem to be as cut and dry as him not being able to play due to injury. Unique circumstances, that I'd assume could have to do with his injury and extensive, and recent, legal/financial troubles, that differ from Callahan and Pronger's well documented retirement due to diagnosed injury.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likewise with Callahan in Ottawa, but it deosn't seem to be as cut and dry as him not being able to play due to injury. Unique circumstances, that I'd assume could have to do with his injury and extensive, and recent, legal/financial troubles, that differ from Callahan and Pronger's well documented retirement due to diagnosed injury.
I think he had double hip surgery, hasn't played since, and is likely a strong candidate for the players assistance program for mental health issues, which guarantees players continue to be paid.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
"In Amazon's "Faceoff" docuseries, Swayman revealed that he actually wrote a list of the Bruins' criticisms toward him from their arbitration hearing during the 2023 NHL off-season.

Here is what Swayman said on the matter:
"Hearing you're not worthy of what you think you're worthy of, that was hard to hear. You don't forget what was said. I wrote them down, and I looked at them the other day, and I had a couple checkmarks. My biggest knock was how I wasn't trustworthy in the playoffs. Check."

Loving the Swayman situation. Bruins need to start declining, and I hope Swayman being traded or extending for a really big cap hit accelerates that

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Implying that there's some kind of big win for Vegas to pay Lehner under the table instead of through LTIR is nonsense considering there's not much of an impact to their cap situation if he's not able to play.

"In Amazon's "Faceoff" docuseries, Swayman revealed that he actually wrote a list of the Bruins' criticisms toward him from their arbitration hearing during the 2023 NHL off-season.

Here is what Swayman said on the matter:
"Hearing you're not worthy of what you think you're worthy of, that was hard to hear. You don't forget what was said. I wrote them down, and I looked at them the other day, and I had a couple checkmarks. My biggest knock was how I wasn't trustworthy in the playoffs. Check."

Loving the Swayman situation. Bruins need to start declining, and I hope Swayman being traded or extending for a really big cap hit accelerates that

Blows my mind that Sweeney chose to trade Ullmark for peanuts if there were issues like this with Swayman and the team bubbling under the surface.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
they kept him up cause they thought he was too good for juniors. Now that he can play in the AHL it makes sense they sent him there.

Seems like this was the plan

I watched a lot of Korchinski in his draft year and draft+1 year.

Offensively he was pretty dominant but there was room to improve his overall game and develop physically before making the jump to playing against men.

Definitely wasn't too good for juniors or "had nothing else to learn" like some people say.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I always appreciated what Shanahan did with his video explanations. Even if he missed the mark on several decisions, there was an attempt at decorum and transparency. Paros being in charge of DoPS is a sick joke.

I think the NHL has taken the NFL view that injuries are a part of the game and injuries are accepted within limits for the good of viewership, it’s confusing for fans because the leagues public message is they are studying safe play and head trauma and long term negative effects and doing what they can to help or injury but the reality the leagues behaviour is they don’t really care about traumatic injuries and they pay the athletes lots of money and that comes with consequences because violence is good for eyeballs and we fans argue over the code and injuries and safety when the league doesn’t care

Reactions: bicboi64

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Implying that there's some kind of big win for Vegas to pay Lehner under the table instead of through LTIR is nonsense considering there's not much of an impact to their cap situation if he's not able to play.
There is a massive difference on their cap. Not having Lehner on LTIR will allow them to accrue about 6-10M in trade deadline space.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
It seems fishy to me. Lehner not going to Vegas for a medical to ensure he gets paid is unlikely unless the agent and player were misled by Vegas that it wasn’t necessary. No way Newport Sports screwed this up. The fact that he is going to fully collect makes this seem planned in advance.
Can't wait until they lose their 1st round pick for misleading people. :eyeroll:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad