Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good GMs have relationships with the agent. For example let’s say Ridley Greig breaks out this year and goes off for 20+20 and his agent gets an offer sheet of 5 x 5, the agent tells Staios what’s on the table and they work something out.
Maybe, but if the offer sheet team was in a desirable location with low taxes and better weather, then . . .

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
On paper it's a great deal for Montreal.

But if I was a GM, I would not have that personality in the locker room with a group of kids.

Laine would have to spend a couple seasons on another team and prove he's a changed person before I'd make a move for him.

Reactions: Icelevel

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
On paper it's a great deal for Montreal.

But if I was a GM, I would not have that personality in the locker room with a group of kids.

Laine would have to spend a couple seasons on another team and prove he's a changed person before I'd make a move for him.
What is wrong with his personality?

• Wow

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you think he would have been playing over Ceci last year in the playoffs? What I do know is he was waived and picked up by a bottom feeder and has played 30 games total in his nhl career and he is 24 years old. I dont think this is the type of player or resume to suggest he would be playing over Ceci no.
Didn’t oilers scratch Ceci to play someone else over him?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd say they have a pretty decent top 6 now. Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slaf and Laine is a respectable group. If they can stay healthy, Laine can be a ppg player again, they can easily rival us depending how Norris, Giroux and Perron hold up. Can't write them off that easily anymore.
Yeah this was a savy move by them. Realistically there should be very little expectations until the d core matures. Laine is exactly the type of talent they were missing. It's really not that high risk for them at all given where they are in their rebuild and the potential upside and for how short his deal is. They got a 2nd too, just more assets. Having a competent GM with lots of financial resources is paying off. Can't say I'm happy about it. Their forwards are gonna slot way better now. The only weak team in the division doesn't look so weak anymore.

I will say this even though it's not warranted they're gonna have real pressure now being in easily the craziest market in hockey. That fanbase is absolutely insane. Let's see how that young group handles it.

Slafkovsky Suzuki Laine
Newhook Dach Caufield
Roy Dvorak Anderson
Armia Evans Gallagher
Harvey-Pinard

Matheson Savard
Guhle Barron
Hutson Xhejak
Reinbacher

Montembeault
Primeau

That's a pretty decent lineup with a fair amount of upside. And tons in the pipeline.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yeah this was a savy move by them. Realistically there should be very little expectations until the d core matures. Laine is exactly the type of talent they were missing. It's really not that high risk for them at all given where they are in their rebuild and the potential upside and for how short his deal is. They got a 2nd too, just more assets. Having a competent GM with lots of financial resources is paying off. Can't say I'm happy about it. Their forwards are gonna slot way better now. The only weak team in the division doesn't look so weak anymore.

I will say this even though it's not warranted they're gonna have real pressure now being in easily the craziest market in hockey. That fanbase is absolutely insane. Let's see how that young group handles it.

Slafkovsky Suzuki Laine
Newhook Dach Caufield
Roy Dvorak Anderson
Armia Evans Gallagher
Harvey-Pinard

Matheson Savard
Guhle Barron
Hutson Xhejak
Reinbacher

Montembeault
Primeau

That's a pretty decent lineup with a fair amount of upside. And tons in the pipeline.
Not this year.

Pressure comes in more in 2025-2026 when Demidov slots in even then it’s only gonna be his first season.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I'm not to worried about the Habs they will finished last in the division again, Let's not get carried away with Patrick Laine, remember when we acquired DeBrincat we all thought the Sens would have this incredible season and nothing! Sens have a much better and deeper team then the Habs. I look at that Habs lineup and I don't see anything special

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I'm not to worried about the Habs they will finished last in the division again, Let's not get carried away with Patrick Laine, remember when we acquired DeBrincat we all thought the Sens would have this incredible season and nothing! Sens have a much better and deeper team then the Habs. I look at that Habs lineup and I don't see anything special
Another high pick then? They have a couple guys with expiring contracts each year for the next three years or so. Lots of prospects, picks and cap space. This will allow them to promote kids who are ready to fill the spots or sign/trade for a player or two. Don't be fooled by "Habs Suck". They are on the right track. We, on the other hand, have no picks, prospects or cap space and have to rebuild an entire hockey club organizational structure from the ground up. Dorion did a number on this team...and smiled, high fived himself the whole time. The worst GM ever. I can't see how he works in the NHL again.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dude, go to the Habs board with this garbage.

As predicted, more "you're a Habs fan" flaming just because some of these things are not pleasant to read. Look, I am not Eugene Melnyk or Pierre Dorion, I have nothing to do with what has been going on and the Senators remaining rebuild potential.

I'm sorry but you need to quit sniffing your mama's panties it's making you delirious :laugh:

My mother died more than 11 years ago after a lot of suffering... But hey thanks!

Prove it?

Do you want a list of talent acquired by both teams since the day we drafted Tyler freaking Boucher?

lol they acquired more talent in just one draft than we did in the last 4. But not only we didn't acquire a lot of talent, we BLED IT. But continue to call me a Habs fan and stay in denial I guess

Oh and we're talking about the Habs but we could talk about several other teams... Want to?

The reality is we took way too damn long to rebuild, we will have to start making the playoffs (not even guaranteed this season) and learn how to LOSE in them, unless that we're much better than the Leafs/Oilers/AVs and won't need to?

My HOPE is that some of the Lightning, Bruins, Panthers and Leafs all decline in the near future (faster than expected) leaving us a path to division/playoffs success. Hopefully Detroit and Buffalo never become division contenders too so we'll have only Montreal to deal with. That is my hope. If you want to think everything is perfect in Sens land and we have the best position of them all, it's YOUR choice. Don't flame people who don't see it this way

Slafkovsky Suzuki Laine
Newhook Dach Caufield
Roy Dvorak Anderson
Armia Evans Gallagher
Harvey-Pinard

Matheson Savard
Guhle Barron
Hutson Xhejak
Reinbacher

Montembeault
Primeau

That's what happens when you are stuck with Eugene Melnyk and Pierre Dorion. You watch the others decline, bottom out, restock and rise up again.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, there was no way the Oilers could match either offer sheet.

Their cap is completely screwed with Bouchard and Drai coming up, followed by McD getting a 16 mill contract

Very shrewd by St. Lou

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Stan Bowman doing his Captain of the Titanic act in Edmonton. Guys sucks and Edmonton got what they deserved for hiring him.

Edmonton decline begins today. It’ll be nothing but decline from this moment forward

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As confused as the Oilers franchise seems to be the last few years with their goalies, acoches, GMs and contracts - St Louis is such a well run franchise. Still has the confidence of a Cup winner and totally set the Oilers back and helped their team.

Unreal get by St Lou. It’s like getting 2 top 10 picks for basically nothing and weakening a conference opponent.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As confused as the Oilers franchise seems to be the last few years with their goalies, acoches, GMs and contracts - St Louis is such a well run franchise. Still has the confidence of a Cup winner and totally set the Oilers back and helped their team.

Unreal get by St Lou. It’s like getting 2 top 10 picks for basically nothing and weakening a conference opponent.
No it's not, neither guy carries remotely close to that value

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Didnt match either one? I didnt see that one coming. I guess they had to prioritize cap space management. Often as fans we think we'd be willing to overpay to get someone. Of course once we do the accountants are out making their case for bad GM'ing. We'll see how long St Lou fans are happy with the idea. Might work out for them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Didnt match either one? I didnt see that one coming. I guess they had to prioritize cap space management. Often as fans we think we'd be willing to overpay to get someone. Of course once we do the accountants are out making their case for bad GM'ing. We'll see how long St Lou fans are happy with the idea. Might work out for them.
Both guys are very overpaid right now and next year for what they should be getting, along with a 4.6 Arb award for Broberg after 2 years. The Oilers have Bouchard and Drai who will likely be getting an increas of 14 million alone for them both, and then McDavid who like gets an extra 5ish million the year after. That's an extra 15ish million to keep the same core together that they have had the past 3 years, that's absolutely killer. They can't afford the types of contracts Holloway and Broberg got offered the next few seasons

Their cap is completely messed up from 3 guys who are going to cost 40ish million to keep, especially a guy like Bouchard who is going to get a gigantic contract that he would be getting nowhere close to playing anywhere else

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
As predicted, more "you're a Habs fan" flaming just because some of these things are not pleasant to read. Look, I am not Eugene Melnyk or Pierre Dorion, I have nothing to do with what has been going on and the Senators remaining rebuild potential.
Thinking Slaf might be as good or better than Brady is something only a Habs fan could think, and this would be league wide.

Reactions: Masked

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thinking Slaf might be as good or better than Brady is something only a Habs fan could think, and this would be league wide.

He was pretty damn impressive in the 2nd half of the season, as a 19 y/o… He’s just a recent 1st OA pick after all, it would be such a crazy thing to see him become a star…

So enjoy it while you still can because he might be PPG as soon as this season, as a 20 y/o

Sorry if I’m not a blind homer I guess

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: StoicSensFan

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Montreal reminds me of where Toronto was 8 years ago when they finished their rebuild. Lots of talent up front, no elite talent or prospects on the blueline (I'm not a big fan of Reinbacher and Mailloux), question mark in goal.

The good news for them is they have a lot of picks to address their issues, and their GM seems a lot more competent than what the Leafs have had over the years. But if they convince themselves that their blueline and Primeau/Montembault are enough, they'll become a playoff team without ever becoming a true threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad