Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the Blues primary motivation was to add some very good young talent to their team. The manner they have done it increases their probability of success.
I'm hoping they are not successful so the Oilers can keep their guys to run it back! Lol. Nor do I want offer sheets to become common place, so if it isn't successful, that's a good thing imo.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Some speculation (pure speculation, not rumor) on the Oilers forum that Holloway could be matched and put on waivers as part of the compensation to the Sharks for taking Ceci since they're first waiver dibs. Then match Broberg too, but to actually keep him. Keeps both out of the Blues' hands which may be the priority. Makes some sense to me but would essentially mean Ceci + Holloway + 2x3rds for Emberson which seems too costly just to spite the Blues.
I know you can’t trade a player for a year if offer sheet matched, no sure about waivers.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, it depends on which side you end up. Imagine we lost Shane Pinto just like that, we'd be beyond pissed at offer sheets and at the team grabbing him for basically free. We got lucky nobody was able to abuse Dorion that way too

I think you'd be (and others who think OS are cool!) singing a very very different tune if we got royally screwed and lost a guy like Sanderson, for example.
The "screwing" could be caused by mismanagement of the team's finances (e.g., paying too much for certain older vet players and not having enough salary cap dollars to pay your rising younger stars). Sometimes it would be caused by "success" similar to what happened to the Black Hawks after wining the SC and having to pay their players for that success (Toews and Kane) causing the loss of some very good players (e.g., Dustin Byfuglien) to free agency or trade for futures.

I'm hoping they are not successful so the Oilers can keep their guys to run it back! Lol. Nor do I want offer sheets to become common place, so if it isn't successful, that's a good thing imo.
As a Jet fan who saw my team lose to the Gretzky Oilers on too many occasions, I hope the Blues succeed in getting a good player or two. :)

I know you can’t trade a player for a year if offer sheet matched, no sure about waivers.
I don't know those rules either. Anyone out there who knows?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Some speculation (pure speculation, not rumor) on the Oilers forum that Holloway could be matched and put on waivers as part of the compensation to the Sharks for taking Ceci since they're first waiver dibs. Then match Broberg too, but to actually keep him. Keeps both out of the Blues' hands which may be the priority. Makes some sense to me but would essentially mean Ceci + Holloway + 2x3rds for Emberson which seems too costly just to spite the Blues.
This would be absolutely absurd payment for taking Ceci at 3 million for 60 games. Just a wild over think by hf boards. Why not just take the third for Holloway.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As a Jet fan who saw my team lose to the Gretzky Oilers on too many occasions, I hope the Blues succeed in getting a good player or two. :)
Fair, we all have our teams. I basically didn't witness Getzky as an Oiler. I did cheer for him against the Habs in 93, but that was after the Oilers. Lemieux's cups were the first I feel like I really remember.
This would be absolutely absurd payment for taking Ceci at 3 million for 60 games. Just a wild over think by hf boards. Why not just take the third for Holloway.
Most seem to think the cost to dump Ceci was low, but I still don't think Holloway being included in the return is realistic and agree it's too much to pay. As to the argument from them on why not just accept the 3rd from the Blues, it would be to try to ensure the offer sheets aren't successful in general, particularly with their organization finding a way out and setting a precedent, which varies in importance depending who is saying it. Some think they should try to offer sheet Jake Neighbours when possible, so obviously some sour grapes around offer sheets. If it were my team, I'd probably feel the same, even though it's within the rules.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I think one of the major reasons for the Offer Sheet mechanism was to provide players with the ability to change teams if they were offered higher compensation by another team than their current team was offering. That was because the NHL could be subject to USA antitrust laws (Sherman Act) including restraint of trade if the NHLPA were to challenge the league. The NHLPA have accepted the current system but that could change when the CBA agreement comes up for renewal.

I guess that is an effect. But i dont think anti-trust rules come into play here because the owners and players have collectively bargained an agreement. It is because there is a cba that the league can get away with restricting freedom of employment of players. The cba negates the anti trust.

But if the players said they no longer wanted to collectively bargain but rather just be normal workers, i guess McDavid would make $100mil a year and rookies would get barely above ahl salaries and anti-trust and collusion cases would go up..

I always assumed the intention of the offer sheet was more to provide players a bit of leverage when they are restricted from free agency. It is an incentive to teams to not try and play hardball but get a deal done early and make it fair or else some other team may be willing to overpay to take him from you. It seems it has been a pretty good incentive structure so far. Few mess around risking one might be made. As i think it was meant to be.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Unrealistic? I was not expecting this reply...

Colin White had a 41 pts career-high and got 4.75 AAV in 2019, without it being a offer sheet.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi got 6.1 AAV from an offer sheet after scoring 20 pts in 56 games (his career high was 34 pts)

The 6.0 AAV example was just to say that the team stealing Pinto would make sure Ottawa would struggle to match the offer sheet. Of course, in this scenario, it would be assumed that this team would be HIGH on Pinto.

Also, if you followed the example correctly, the OS would have been last year before Pinto turned 23 y/o
Both of those are/were horrendous contracts though. White was bought-out and has been exiled from the NHL, and Kotkaniemi isn't coming anywhere close to earning his contract and may yet be bought-out himself.

Whether it was this summer or last summer, it's a ludicrous contract to hand out for a player with no real track record of production.

You let him go in this case.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Can't say I really watched him enough to know one way or another, but with ~30 career games at 24 I'm not sure I'd have enough of a track record to be comfortable making that call even if I had watched more.
Well you need to know Ceci is atrocious. And then any trade is a wkn

Definition of an HF boards response..

Oh yeah, youve watched him alot?.... 30 NHL games and was picked up on waivers last year. Ceci is a veteran player almost 800 regular season games and 88 playoff games and is considered to be a great teammate. Popular everywhere he goes, he's a player that can play real quality minutes. Plus they added a 3rd to go with him. It was an NHL contract to go back the other way.

When Kane gets back this could be an opportunity for the sens. They should have plenty of room as Norris will likely be on the LTIR. I am not saying to take Kane but maybe someone else so the Oilers are cap compliant.
I know you’ve definitely seen him play a ton.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well you need to know Ceci is atrocious. And then any trade is a wkn

I know you’ve definitely seen him play a ton.
Do you think he would have been playing over Ceci last year in the playoffs? What I do know is he was waived and picked up by a bottom feeder and has played 30 games total in his nhl career and he is 24 years old. I dont think this is the type of player or resume to suggest he would be playing over Ceci no.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Do you think he would have been playing over Ceci last year in the playoffs? What I do know is he was waived and picked up by a bottom feeder and has played 30 games total in his nhl career and he is 24 years old. I dont think this is the type of player or resume to suggest he would be playing over Ceci no.
You have to realize the Burrowsaurus just loves him some Cody Ceci.. He has a long history of posts on him when he played here.

• Haha
Reactions: Cosmix and Xspyrit

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I don't follow things close enough to know but isn't this situation (Broberg/Holloway not signed) happening because the Oilers changed their GM? In a normal situation, the 2 RFAs would probably have been signed already but maybe the Blues are even more dirty for doing this during this transition for the Oilers?
You can call it dirty of predatory, but I look at it as smart and quick witted.

GMs should be taking advantage of other GMs when the opportunity arises. If a GM knows their colleague is operating from a position of weakness, its their job to try and make a move where they get the most out of a transaction.

A team like the Dorion led Sens would be getting fleeced left and right, but that's where an organizations ownership needs to step up and fire an incompetent GM that is putting themselves in a position of weakness so many times.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Worth doing if you're the Habs to see if he can fit over the next couple years.

If not they can just let him walk and they still have a second to show for it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Montreal’s philosophy of building with Euro’s because they will like the European culture in Montreal is doomed for failure - it’s what makes you pass on an Iginla for a small Russian and trade for Laine.

Montreal has been a soft team for 30 years and it just continues, disgrace to a team that once understood what winning was better than any other pro sports team in the world

Patrick said it best when he left, they went from a team that only has a championship standard to a team who thought the playoffs was an accomplish,ent. Loser mentality in Montreal, they are afraid to even try to win and just do this euro B.S. thinking they are smart

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Not many teams would be willing or able to take an 18M dollar risk on Patrik Laine. Really easy to rebuild when you have that kind of financial clout.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wouldn't be surprised is Montreal has overtaken us ii n the rebuild.

Ottawa could pick up the Montreal team and throw them into the reds and only person on Montreal who would be bothered by that would be Marty St Louis.

Montreal is building a team that complains to the refs

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad