Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He didn't have surgery, he said had we been in the playoffs he'd have been ready for them
Really? This whole time I thought he'd had the surgeries lol. Either way, they were MCL injuries, so probably too much made of it either way.

Both goalies had a down year last year. Neither Forsberg or Korpisalo are starters, but they can be better than the .890 they each gave.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Forsberg is a good backup in my opinion. He's a back-up though and the team needs to be better in front of him. I don't know if all is related to his knee injuries but with goalies a lot of it is just confidence.

The team had a lot of expectations and a goalie typically carries a lot of that on themselves. When you don't play well it's easy to lose that confidence in your abilities and start doubting yourself.

By all accounts he's one of the hardest workers on the team and I believe that with a better starter he will have less pressure and do better. I always thought he looked more solid/calm in net that say Korpisalo. I think he will bounce back and have a decent season.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Forsberg is fine because of his lack of term. If he can stay healthy and provide an above .900 save percentage, he'd be worth extending for a couple years for a $2 million aav (assuming Sogaard isn't ready.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

hit 'em where it hurts .. they have to clear to sign them. Holloway particularly, but both are showing promise. Certainly would not mind snagging Holloway. Nurse's contract looks worse if that was possible

Compensation favors the Blues . Both players are worth it.,

That weird trade was the Blues reacquiring their own 2nd

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

hit 'em where it hurts .. they have to clear to sign them. Holloway particularly, but both are showing promise. Certainly would not mind snagging Holloway. Nurse's contract looks worse if that was possible

Compensation favors the Blues . Both players are worth it.,

Oilers can buy time by matching now .. they can be over in the off season and this LTIR could buy them more time. Still need to make a move or two.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You can pump offer sheets directly into my veins. I wish there were 10 offer sheets every offseason. Enough of this GMs respect each other bullshit. You're in it to win it. Start acting like it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Seems like a pair of mediocre guys to target for an offer sheet.

I mean, the summer drama is great and all...but I don't see the endgame for St Louis here.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Quite a few teams looking for incentives to take on cap are in better positions to do so more readily than the Sens. Good opportunity for a few of them to add Ceci and gain a pick now and probably at the TDL with retention that costs them little.

I mean, the summer drama is great and all...but I don't see the endgame for St Louis here.
Young and improving NHL players that are worth a 2nd and or a 3rd if Edmonton doesn't match. Shrewd move.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Those are the exact type of guys you offer sheet, especially couple with the Oilers cap issues.

Some team will get Ceci for a 2nd or 3rd, and then trade him for another 2nd or 3rd at the deadline.

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Matching Broberg is tough for the Oilers, not because he doesn't have potential to be a big player for them, but because they are in win-now mode and cannot strategically afford to pay 4.5M for a player who hasn't even cemented himself in their top 6. It's wild.

Yes, Kane being on LTIR gives them breathing room to possible match, but unless he is going to pull a Mark Stone and stay out until the playoffs, that will put the Oilers in a tough spot where they have to clear room to be compliant and cannot trade Broberg until the year is over. Not to mention, this is a multi-year deal.

If they match, they probably have to move Ceci prior to matching. Not only for cap flexibility, but also because if they are going to pay Broberg 4.5M, things need to be wide open for him to play 18+ minutes a night. Both because they can't pay a player 4.5M to be their 6+7, but also because they may need to explore trading him next season when they are permitted to to get out of that second year (unless he breaks out huge and is fair value at 4.5M).

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It seems like the aav's are only high enough to make it difficult for the Oilers, not that they'd actually let these guys go.

It's a double offer-sheet, which is a strategy that is sometimes discussed with NHL analysts.

Two overpaid players for a cap strapped team makes it more difficult to match. There is no guarantee that the Blues really want both guys. I suspect they probably really like Broberg, because you don't risk losing 9M of cap space over 2 years that you don't actually want to pay.

I suspect they think that the Oilers will match Dylan Holloway, who comes in at slightly overpaid based on his resume, but still tolerable, but won't match Broberg, who received a Kotkaniemi style overpayment, relative to his role this past two seasons on the Oilers.

It is can't lose for the Blues. If the Oilers match, a conference rival has to deal from a huge position of disadvantage cap wise. If the Oilers do not match, the Blues get two good young players for only a 2nd+3rd and cap space for 2 years.

People talk about trading Ceci, but the Oilers are now dealing from a very bad position. Teams recognize leverage. There isn't a lot of cap flexibility this late in the off season, and most teams who do have cap flexibility are budget teams. I think it is going to be harder than expected.

I could see something like Ceci and a draft pick to Utah for Weber's contract, then Utah could flip Ceci to a third team if they don't actually want him. Maybe Detroit would take Ceci, since they were after a RHD in Trouba earlier in the offseason and have cap space.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Match Holloway, let Broberg walk

It's a double offer-sheet, which is a strategy that is sometimes discussed with NHL analysts.

Two overpaid players for a cap strapped team makes it more difficult to match. There is no guarantee that the Blues really want both guys. I suspect they probably really like Broberg, because you don't risk losing 9M of cap space over 2 years that you don't actually want to pay.

I suspect they think that the Oilers will match Dylan Holloway, who comes in at slightly overpaid based on his resume, but still tolerable, but won't match Broberg, who received a Kotkaniemi style overpayment, relative to his role this past two seasons on the Oilers.

It is can't lose for the Blues. If the Oilers match, a conference rival has to deal from a huge position of disadvantage cap wise. If the Oilers do not match, the Blues get two good young players for only a 2nd+3rd and cap space for 2 years.

People talk about trading Ceci, but the Oilers are now dealing from a very bad position. Teams recognize leverage. There isn't a lot of cap flexibility this late in the off season, and most teams who do have cap flexibility are budget teams. I think it is going to be harder than expected.

I could see something like Ceci and a draft pick to Utah for Weber's contract, then Utah could flip Ceci to a third team if they don't actually want him. Maybe Detroit would take Ceci, since they were after a RHD in Trouba earlier in the offseason and have cap space.
Wings don’t have cap space unless they bridge Seider and Raymond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad