Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Matching Broberg is tough for the Oilers, not because he doesn't have potential to be a big player for them, but because they are in win-now mode and cannot strategically afford to pay 4.5M for a player who hasn't even cemented himself in their top 6. It's wild.

Yes, Kane being on LTIR gives them breathing room to possible match, but unless he is going to pull a Mark Stone and stay out until the playoffs, that will put the Oilers in a tough spot where they have to clear room to be compliant and cannot trade Broberg until the year is over. Not to mention, this is a multi-year deal.

If they match, they probably have to move Ceci prior to matching. Not only for cap flexibility, but also because if they are going to pay Broberg 4.5M, things need to be wide open for him to play 18+ minutes a night. Both because they can't pay a player 4.5M to be their 6+7, but also because they may need to explore trading him next season when they are permitted to to get out of that second year (unless he breaks out huge and is fair value at 4.5M).
Ya I misread that. Thought the 4.5m was over 2 years, so split in half.

I still think they match and make other casualties as the solution, like Ceci, but we'll see, that certainly makes it tougher and I don't know if just Ceci and Kane on LTIR is enough. Hollaway is a no brainer at that aav though, that just seems like kind of like getting business done for the Oilers.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
When the salary cap cba's started with the new RFA compensation schedules, it seemed really prohibitive to make offer sheets. Feels like it is less so now. That seems like too light a cost to have to pay to make those offer sheets. But i guess the offer is also almost by definition an overpayment.

I remember when the Sens sold for nearly a billion and it felt like we were valued as one of the top clubs. That feeling didnt last long.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't get why we didn't do Dorion a solid and get his guy in Cody Glass. We apparently wanted him in both the Karlsson and Stone trades. Pittsburgh got a 3rd and a 5th to take him.

Maybe Dorion is secretly working for the Penguins.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's a good use of cap space by Pittsburgh to get two picks to take on an expiring contract. I assume the Fresca guy is just a contract dump since he seems to be an ECHLer.

They are unlikely to be buyers at the deadline, so banking that cap space isn't going to do them much good. Even if Glass amounts to nothing, it's 2.5M x 1 Y for a 3rd+6th. They could also bury Glass if he is not effective, and it becomes closer to 1.4M in dead cap.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Quite a few teams looking for incentives to take on cap are in better positions to do so more readily than the Sens. Good opportunity for a few of them to add Ceci and gain a pick now and probably at the TDL with retention that costs them little.

Young and improving NHL players that are worth a 2nd and or a 3rd if Edmonton doesn't match. Shrewd move.

Oh, they're worth a 2nd and 3rd in a trade, for sure.

I mean the fallout between GMs and teams isn't worth it. Possibly losing a team or two as a trading partner for a few seasons due to feelings...that's the real price here. Not the draft picks.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The Blues and Oilers have only made a handful of trades in the last 15 or so years, and they have mostly been trades of little to no consequence. While it is a valid point that teams have to weigh the possibility of ruining their relationship with another regime, if the Blues are high enough on Broberg to still view him as having top 10 talent type potential, he has way more value than anything both sides have exchanged in the last little while.

They did make the infamous Pronger trade, so it isn't like they have never done big business, but that is ancient history at this point.

The Oilers also aren't in a position to retaliate in any way over the next few seasons, because they aren't going to have cap space to say, you know what we're going to sign Joel Hofer to an 8M AAV, how do you like that St.Louis!!!!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This Oilers-Blues situation is so interesting. A lot of people are saying the Blues will now get offer-sheeted. I don't think so.

It take a special circumstance for a player to sign an offersheet. NHL players are typically extremely loyal , that's why we never see them happening. Not many players are willing to "turn their back" to the team who gave them a chance and built them as NHLers.

The fact that St-Louis was able to convince two players from the same team to do something like that is remarkable. I'm sure Edmonton had some deals in the making to create cap space, maybe Kane on LTIR as well would help. This really puts them in an odd position. Really rare that we see successful offer sheet attemps like this one. I guess Kotkaniemi from a few years back would be another example.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
mid-August offer sheets are also in a class of their own. Training camp is looming and players like to start their season on time and enjoy the financial assurance of a contract. Makes sense to take the lifeline at that point regardless of loyalties.

The Aho offer sheet happened on July 1 which came off as more aggressive, probably why the Canes were upset about it. I don't think anyone can blame the Blues here, Edmonton had plenty of time to sort this out on their own. We're very lucky this didn't happen with Pinto.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm sure they don't care because they're getting paid, but it's interesting to see Holloway and Broberg sign those offer sheets.

Basically going from a heavy favorite to win it all and a team they just went on a long run with to a team that'll be lucky to squeeze in to a playoff spot and more likely not.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I'm sure they don't care because they're getting paid, but it's interesting to see Holloway and Broberg sign those offer sheets.

Basically going from a heavy favorite to win it all and a team they just went on a long run with to a team that'll be lucky to squeeze in to a playoff spot and more likely not.
Well broberg was struggling to even get in the lineup- then he had a ramarkable 10 games in playoffs when he finally did butbits still just 10 games. To be offered over 9 million when he hasnt made much in his career to this point and he could get a career endong injury tomorrow. Thats life changing money and he has to take it. He had been asking for a trade last year anyways.

I think holloway sees the acquisitions the oilers got and chances he gets pushed to 4th line or erd line at highest so theres more opportunity for him in st. Louis

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well broberg was struggling to even get in the lineup- then he had a ramarkable 10 games in playoffs when he finally did butbits still just 10 games. To be offered over 9 million when he hasnt made much in his career to this point and he could get a career endong injury tomorrow. Thats life changing money and he has to take it. He had been asking for a trade last year anyways.

I think holloway sees the acquisitions the oilers got and chances he gets pushed to 4th line or erd line at highest so theres more opportunity for him in st. Louis
Those are definitely fair points. I shouldn't be surprised. Securing finances is usually priority 1 in pro sports with the rest very much coming second. Sort of like how if Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid all re-sign, they'll likely take so much of the cap they'll kill their chances to win it all at the same time.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Interesting notes from Friedman. Broberg was asking for less than 2M per. Also, for strategic purposes, the Blues had to wait until after the arbitration window closed to do this. He believes that if the Blues signed the offer sheets earlier, the Oilers could have traded for a player who had already opted for arbitration in order to get the second buyout window.

I don't know how anybody can blame the players here. Imagine getting over double the amount of compensation you expect. Not to mention, the QO for Broberg will be higher because of this contract, or he will become a UFA early if whoever owns his rights doesn't qualify him at that high rate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Did they know the other guy was also getting offer sheeted? Maybe they both just assumed EDM would match not realizing the two deals combined were designed to squeeze edm

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Love the Blues Offer Sheets.

Wish GMs did it more as a way to acquire young talent that cash strapped teams can't afford to pay. Plus its the Oil, the assholes that hired Bowman, I hope every team destroys them on the ice and off ice transations.

Would be nice to see the Oil match because it messes with their cap, but if the Blues get Broberg and Holloway, the Oil lose depth they need. Plus the Blues have all the capspace in the world to afford two bloated contracts

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Players are not to blame here, business move for them. The Blues acted like cowboys and have burnt bridges with Edmonton who will resent them for a long time. I know I would pissed off at the Blues if I was an Oilers fan

Love the Blues Offer Sheets.

Wish GMs did it more as a way to acquire young talent that cash strapped teams can't afford to pay. Plus its the Oil, the assholes that hired Bowman, I hope every team destroys them on the ice and off ice transations.

Would be nice to see the Oil match because it messes with their cap, but if the Blues get Broberg and Holloway, the Oil lose depth they need. Plus the Blues have all the capspace in the world to afford two bloated contracts

I still don't understand how Sens fans could say things like this. You only like it because it brings some NHL action during the summer. We are exactly the kind of team/market that would get screwed by this, a lot less than under Melnyk/Dorion but still risky for us nonetheless

If these were a norm, Pinto would probably be playing for another team right now and our outlook for the future would look even bleaker

Reactions: Blotto71

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Those are definitely fair points. I shouldn't be surprised. Securing finances is usually priority 1 in pro sports with the rest very much coming second. Sort of like how if Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid all re-sign, they'll likely take so much of the cap they'll kill their chances to win it all at the same time.
Some guys are willing to take paycut or doscount for team they love- adam henrique said he turned down bigger offers cuz he wanted to won withoulers- but those are guys who have already made a bad and are set as multimillionares.

A guy like broberg doesnt have that luxury as he hasnt even made 1 mil in a year before. Why accept a 1.5 million 1 yeat contract then risk not cutting it in nhl or getting a career ending injury when someone is throwing 9 million at you? Secure your wealth then at back end of career you can be more generous.

Holloways money isnt quote as big a gamebreaker, but Skinner arviddson and henrique returning- perry too- really pushes holloway down the depth chart.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Y4jLmQSGZ5HVxtptPzsinX8Ht3s7WyTSLlhBXRtwpdA.jpg

The Matthews/Tavares captaincy reminds me of this.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Players are not to blame here, business move for them. The Blues acted like cowboys and have burnt bridges with Edmonton who will resent them for a long time. I know I would pissed off at the Blues if I was an Oilers fan

I still don't understand how Sens fans could say things like this. You only like it because it brings some NHL action during the summer. We are exactly the kind of team/market that would get screwed by this, a lot less than under Melnyk/Dorion but still risky for us nonetheless

If these were a norm, Pinto would probably be playing for another team right now and our outlook for the future would look even bleaker
I think Offer Sheets are great, there are tools available and they should be used.

Reactions: Cosmix and ijif

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

I'm a players first type guy. I want players to make sure they set themselves up for life. Granted, I want them to also own up to the pressures and consequences of the contracts they choose.

Guys like Broberg and Holloway can set themselves up for life if they handle that offer sheet money correctly.

If someone wants to offer sheet Pinto and we're screwed because our management doesn't have capspace, it'll suck for us, but hopefully it'll convince management to be a bit better with their contracts in the first place. The league needs more offer sheets, its a good way to get players paid but also to screw teams that you'll be competing against. Losing Broberg and Holloway hurts EDM's depth, and therefore their capchances.

If we were in EDM's shoes, I'd be pissed of TML or another eastern conference team did that to us, but its refreshing to see teams use every tool at their disposal to get better & screw their opponents.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm a players first type guy. I want players to make sure they set themselves up for life. Granted, I want them to also own up to the pressures and consequences of the contracts they choose.

Guys like Broberg and Holloway can set themselves up for life if they handle that offer sheet money correctly.

If someone wants to offer sheet Pinto and we're screwed because our management doesn't have capspace, it'll suck for us, but hopefully it'll convince management to be a bit better with their contracts in the first place. The league needs more offer sheets, its a good way to get players paid but also to screw teams that you'll be competing against. Losing Broberg and Holloway hurts EDM's depth, and therefore their capchances.

If we were in EDM's shoes, I'd be pissed of TML or another eastern conference team did that to us, but its refreshing to see teams use every tool at their disposal to get better & screw their opponents.
I think you know this, but just in case. Pinto already signed with us for 2 years so he can't sign an offer sheet.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

How are they going to offer sheet someone with a contract?

Nice troll thread here from a flames fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad