Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Current roster construction the only teams I could see them beat in this year's playoffs is Washington and themselves.
2 or 3 SMART not FLASHY moves will help a great deal.

Think back to the last 2 big trades dumbass made. If we get Marino with an overpay of our 2nd + Brannstrom or something else that Pitt liked more than Ty Smith we would have still had our 7OA and we would not of had to chase Chychrun who didn’t fill a need.

Now let’s say we still wanted to use the picks we used on Chychrun to acquire a forward then that’s a lot of firepower to get a 2 way winger.

Would we have been better last year with Marino instead of Chychrun and a good 2 way winger instead of Kubalik.

Dorion liked his shiny bobbles without looking at areas of need.

For the record I’m not a huge Marino fan but it was an area of obvious need.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
2 or 3 SMART not FLASHY moves will help a great deal.

Think back to the last 2 big trades dumbass made. If we get Marino with an overpay of our 2nd + Brannstrom or something else that Pitt liked more than Ty Smith we would have still had our 7OA and we would not of had to chase Chychrun who didn’t fill a need.

Now let’s say we still wanted to use the picks we used on Chychrun to acquire a forward then that’s a lot of firepower to get a 2 way winger.

Would we have been better last year with Marino instead of Chychrun and a good 2 way winger instead of Kubalik.

Dorion liked his shiny bobbles without looking at areas of need.

For the record I’m not a huge Marino fan but it was an area of obvious need.
We need to address goaltending first and foremost. Trying to outscored your opponent regularly is a recipe for failure.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We need to address goaltending first and foremost. Trying to outscored your opponent regularly is a recipe for failure.
I personally think our priorities should be.

1. Coaching staff
2. Top 4 RD
3. Upgrade on Forsberg, moving Korpi is not realistic right now.
4. Vet PK forward to play on 3rd line.
5. 4th line vet to replace Kastelic or Kachouk.
6. 3rd pair RD to push JBD down.
7. 6/7 LD to make Klevin earn a spot and provide depth.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't know if they'll get it done, but I think this Oilers team has given themselves a better chance than any Canadian team in a very long time, probably dating back to the 90s. It's their best squad yet with McDavid/Draisaitl, they're healthy, have a ton of depth, and Skinner is a battler. Better than the 3 in a row cinderella runs from Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa back in the 2000s.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I don't know if they'll get it done, but I think this Oilers team has given themselves a better chance than any Canadian team in a very long time, probably dating back to the 90s. It's their best squad yet with McDavid/Draisaitl, they're healthy, have a ton of depth, and Skinner is a battler. Better than the 3 in a row cinderella runs from Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa back in the 2000s.
Won't get into the three teams you listed but if you play that Vancouver-Boston series over 100 times, I think the Canucks would post a pretty respectable winning %age. Even if Edmonton makes it to the finals, I'm still not sure if I'd agree with you. Vancouver was a hell of a team and right there til the very end.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Won't get into the three teams you listed but if you play that Vancouver-Boston series over 100 times, I think the Canucks would post a pretty respectable winning %age. Even if Edmonton makes it to the finals, I'm still not sure if I'd agree with you. Vancouver was a hell of a team and right there til the very end.
That was a very good Vancouver team. No doubt. Your memory is strong as I hadn't considered them. Personally, I have Edmonton above that team, because I think players with the kind of elite greatness that McDavid and Draisaitl have is often an element that gets teams over that last hump. As great as the Canucks and Sedins were, I don't think they had that element and got where they did in different ways.

Either way, you also need a lot of luck and things to just basically go your way to win it all in the end, so I guess we'll see.

That Vancouver game 7 loss was the last time my brother watched hockey. He was a die hard Nucks fan, became one in 94 when they lost and the moment they lost the 2nd time in 2011, he went outside without saying a word, mowed the lawn, and never watched another NHL game ever again. I don't know if he spoke a word for like a month after it. Such devastating feelings to lose like that after they went up 2-0.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That was a very good Vancouver team. No doubt. Your memory is strong as I hadn't considered them. Personally, I have Edmonton above that team, because I think players with the kind of elite greatness that McDavid and Draisaitl have is often an element that gets teams over that last hump. As great as the Canucks and Sedins were, I don't think they had that element and got where they did in different ways.

Either way, you also need a lot of luck and things to just basically go your way to win it all in the end, so I guess we'll see.

That Vancouver game 7 loss was the last time my brother watched hockey. He was a die hard Nucks fan, became one in 94 when they lost and the moment they lost the 2nd time in 2011, he went outside without saying a word, mowed the lawn, and never watched another NHL game ever again. I don't know if he spoke a word for like a month after it. Such devastating feelings to lose like that after they went up 2-0.
Poor bro! Give that man hug for me!

I see the merits of your argument, it's definitely a fair one. I might be biased towards that team because I watched almost every game they played that year and they were just so fun to watch. I will admit, I soured on them over the course of the playoffs. But what a great team they were.

You had the Sedins, Luongo, prime Kesler, Hamhuis, Burrows, Bieksa, Samuelsson (losing him was a huge blow), and Ehrhoff, great depth guys like Hansen, Torres, Malhotra, Higgins, and Lapierre...

I'll be honest, though, I am pretty surprised to look back and see how young that team was. Their only regulars over 30 were Samuelsson, Salo (still a super impactful player at 35), Malhotra and Luongo. Bruins, on the other hand, had Chara, Recchi, Seidenberg, Ference, Ryder, Thornton, Kaberle, Kelly, and Thomas (+ Savard in the room). That experience might have been the difference.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Poor bro! Give that man hug for me!

I see the merits of your argument, it's definitely a fair one. I might be biased towards that team because I watched almost every game they played that year and they were just so fun to watch. I will admit, I soured on them over the course of the playoffs. But what a great team they were.

You had the Sedins, Luongo, prime Kesler, Hamhuis, Burrows, Bieksa, Samuelsson (losing him was a huge blow), and Ehrhoff, great depth guys like Hansen, Torres, Malhotra, Higgins, and Lapierre...

I'll be honest, though, I am pretty surprised to look back and see how young that team was. Their only regulars over 30 were Samuelsson, Salo (still a super impactful player at 35), Malhotra and Luongo. Bruins, on the other hand, had Chara, Recchi, Seidenberg, Ference, Ryder, Thornton, Kaberle, Kelly, and Thomas (+ Savard in the room). That experience might have been the difference.
Lol yes he sure takes it hard. I didn't go there, but this year is the first year he's finally watched another hockey game, driven by his kids taking an interest.

They were special. That D core was so solid, even if not having 1 clear cut guy at the top. Obviously Lu was solid and fun to watch. Great depth up front. That was a tough loss, but Boston was a real good team and the momentum swung pretty hard after the hit.

I'm bullish on Edmonton this year. I've always kind of been because I've always felt McDavid/Draisaitl were too good to deny at least once, but I finally believe they have the team around them that it's possible, and Drai isn't hobbling around the ice this time. Seems like they've learned to lose and built to this moment. Lots of good teams though, it will be tough.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Man was so depressed he mowed the lawn at night time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Man was so depressed he mowed the lawn at night time.

Well... if he was in Vancouver, the game ended at 7:45, so still daylight for another hour and a half or so...
We're up in the Yukon, but same time zone at that time (now only half the year). Even the lawnmower sounded sad.

The first time they lost in 1994, I remember we ran out and hung NYR hockey cards from a clothes line and shot them with pellet guns lol.

To his credit, I had a similar experience after our last loss to the Penguins. Me and my friend sat there shell shocked and speechless for maybe 10 minutes. Then he stood up, said f***, and left. We didn't bother re-connecting for months. Just devastating.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We're up in the Yukon, but same time zone at that time (now only half the year). Even the lawnmower sounded sad.

The first time they lost in 1994, I remember we ran out and hung NYR hockey cards from a clothes line and shot them with pellet guns lol.

To his credit, I had a similar experience after our last loss to the Penguins. Me and my friend sat there shell shocked and speechless for maybe 10 minutes. Then he stood up, said f***, and left. We didn't bother re-connecting for months. Just devastating.
Yukon eh? Well in that case you probably still had about 4 hours of daylight left, lol. Lots of time to mow the lawn.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Anybody been watching the Dallas Vegas series... I only watched last night. Been too busy to stay up late recently.

How has Tanev looked?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Pressure is on Boston now. You lose two games in a row to a Matthews-less team, It’s hard to come back from that. This is also after that historical chokejob last year.

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I personally think our priorities should be.

1. Coaching staff
2. Top 4 RD
3. Upgrade on Forsberg, moving Korpi is not realistic right now.
4. Vet PK forward to play on 3rd line.
5. 4th line vet to replace Kastelic or Kachouk.
6. 3rd pair RD to push JBD down.
7. 6/7 LD to make Klevin earn a spot and provide depth.

This is the way.

I'd also clarify that the LD needs to be rebalanced. Chabot-Chychrun-Brannstrom is way too soft of a LD. I have no trust in that whatsoever in a playoff situation. I'd actually prefer to see 2 of those 3 ejected, but I know that's very unrealistic.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
1NQ7m0gqsah1XS4vG1.webp
Let's go Bs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: