Around the League

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
This is dumb and annoying. Why do they even want it? NHL teams know their own salaries, so why buy a site to just kill it off?
CapFriendly was providing tools to NHL teams that the teams themselves didn’t have. It’s why most (or all?) had contracts with CapFriendly.

So now the Caps get all those tools for themselves (and the IP/employees/etc.) while taking it away from 31 other teams. One of the reports mentioned that multiple NHL teams were trying to buy it.

Definitely annoying though, you’re right.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Good for Hronek, happy he's found a good home in Vancouver.

That said I'm a bit skeptical of that contract on such a small sample size of him playing at the level that got him that deal. I do hope he lives up to it though.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
He fell of in the second half, imagine what that number would be if he didn't. Starts with an 8 or possibly 9 if he kept pace. In 5 years it will be the average pay for guys like him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I kind of hate how every NHL contract is max term with the expectation that the last few years are LTIR or trade with retention.

In the NFL, Trevor Lawrence, a 24-year-old former #1 overall pick, just signed a massive contract that people are questioning is worth it... but it's still only 5 years. Even if they pay it all out and want to move on he's only 29 when it's over. And there's always ways out of deals in the NFL.

The fact every NHL deal for good to great players needs to be 7 or 8 years and is ironclad guaranteed is really strangling a lot of player movement and the excitement that comes with trades and free agency. I don't think it's good for the game or fans. There's so many guys getting overpaid for old work and coasting on past accomplishments for the last 3-4 years of a deal.

It's very good for the players, though, so I will concede that.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Panthers fans calling for Maurice to be fired, up 3-2 in the cup final. It's hilarious.

Reactions: raymond23

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I kind of hate how every NHL contract is max term with the expectation that the last few years are LTIR or trade with retention.

In the NFL, Trevor Lawrence, a 24-year-old former #1 overall pick, just signed a massive contract that people are questioning is worth it... but it's still only 5 years. Even if they pay it all out and want to move on he's only 29 when it's over. And there's always ways out of deals in the NFL.

The fact every NHL deal for good to great players needs to be 7 or 8 years and is ironclad guaranteed is really strangling a lot of player movement and the excitement that comes with trades and free agency. I don't think it's good for the game or fans. There's so many guys getting overpaid for old work and coasting on past accomplishments for the last 3-4 years of a deal.

I know what you're saying but yeah, it's hard for me to feel sorry for GMs or owners. They got massive concessions from the players and are making money hand over fist. If they try and ratchet down contract length we're almost certainly looking at another lockout. The NFL puts young men through a meat grinder then gets out of paying them the second their performance drops. I wouldn't want the NHL to follow that example.

Or he'll continue his wildly inconsistent ways and Vancouver fans will pull their hair out.

In the Free Agent Talk forum a lot of people were calling it a great deal for a #2 Dman. For me the question still remains if Hronek can be that or is more of a middle pairing guy at best that you pray will stay healthy.

Reactions: norrisnick

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I know what you're saying but yeah, it's hard for me to feel sorry for GMs or owners. They got massive concessions from the players and are making money hand over fist. If they try and ratchet down contract length we're almost certainly looking at another lockout. The NFL puts young men through a meat grinder then gets out of paying them the second their performance drops. I wouldn't want the NHL to follow that example.

In the Free Agent Talk forum a lot of people were calling it a great deal for a #2 Dman. For me the question still remains if Hronek can be that or is more of a middle pairing guy at best that you pray will stay healthy.

The league needs to reduce the buyout penalty for teams to a maximum of 3 years, or do away with it entirely. That would allow for greater mobility around the league and allow teams to rebuild faster.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

i'm going more off how it feels than any particular stats here but honestly to me when you factor in injury risks and such 7-8 year deals for NHL players feels intuitively "right" if NFL deals are 4-5

and big MLB deals being in the double digits(for hitters anyways)

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
The league needs to reduce the buyout penalty for teams to a maximum of 3 years, or do away with it entirely. That would allow for greater mobility around the league and allow teams to rebuild faster.
This and get rid of the bonus year rule for re-signing with the same team. Oh, and 7 NHL seasons of initial control is far too much as well...players all becoming UFAs in their late 20s/early 30s is why so many of these bad contracts happen. None of anything either of us wants here would ever happen though because the small market teams would throw a fit.

This is the only major sports league in the world where the rules and the structure combined are designed to cater to the small market teams (and yes, Im aware "small market" means something somewhat different in hockey vs other sports). Literally no one else does that, because it's simply not a smart way to run a league.

Last edited:

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Markstrom to NJ...interesting move. I think a few people here wanted him IIRC.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Markstrom to NJ...interesting move. I think a few people here wanted him IIRC.

I did. But NJ’s problems are more not defending than goaltending. They left their goalies with their ass out in The breeze so often this season. They need to fix the bottom half of that lineup more.

Reactions: izlez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad