GDT: Around the League

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
Hi,

I’m trying to learn more about different players around the league (as it’s hard to learn when you barely even have time to watch your own team every game)

If anyone would be willing to give me a synopsis on the play style/skill level/anything special about these players (or any other players on the Panthers I should especially know about) I would greatly appreciate it. I’m a hardcore Blues fan since 2014 and am doing my best to learn more about the sport I love.

Here are the players I would like to know about:

Dadonov
Trochek
Hoffman
Connolly

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
Hi,

I’m trying to learn more about different players around the league (as it’s hard to learn when you barely even have time to watch your own team every game)

If anyone would be willing to give me a synopsis on the play style/skill level/anything special about these players (or any other players on the Panthers I should especially know about) I would greatly appreciate it. I’m a hardcore Blues fan since 2014 and am doing my best to learn more about the sport I love.

Dadonov
Trochek
Hoffman
Connolly

Also if there’s a different thread where this would get more/better answers please let me know

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Hi,

Dadonov speedy winger from Russia, was Drafted from Florida, didnt get it together in the younger Days. Was playing then a long time in Russia and came back to the NHL as a better Player. very effective in PP and has a real good shot.
Trochek Trochek in his early Days was an energetic player, speedy Center, individual Player, can handle the puck. Biggest weak Point, not a great Playmaker or Lineplayer. Since his Injuries not even near the energy Level he had before.
Hoffman Lazerbeam shot, has Playmaker ability, but in Florida he use it less then he used this Game in Ottawa. Can pass, work in the offensive Zone, likes a clean pass on his Stick, biggest weak Point not the best backchecking Player. A real skilled offensive Player, prove it now the second Year.
Connolly i doesnt had so much an Eye on Connolly, myself i dont know much about him, since he joined the Panthers this Year.

Player must know:
Huberdeau
Former Top 3 Pick. His passing game and set up plays are Elite in the NHL, Can hold the puck, can defend the Puck, could work better in the own Zone, has a good Shot more accurate then fast Shot. He is also a good Lineplayer, means he can play with different players on different Line and it doesnt effect his own Game.
Barkov
Former Top 3 Pick. He is the Captain of the Panthers, Top 5 NHL 2Way Center, insane 2 Way play, less Penaltys, great passing, doesnt shot often that could be better, His play in the own Zone is better then some Defensman on the Panthers. Get praised around the League from different elite Players.
Ekblad
Top 3 Pick. Has a good shot but not accurate, his skateing lacks could by far much better, good plays in the own Zone, can hold his Ground getting better in his overall play. But his biggest weak Point he is a concussion Candidate. Had a few to many for his Age, means mo fights less checking play.
Weegar Picked in the 7th Round
Long term Panther, surprising outcome, could be in a long Way a Top 4 Defensman. His learning and debvelopment process is and was steady from Year to Year. So it took him a while to get where is right now and he is good. maybe not the fastest Defensman but a good overall Package. No that best Offensive Game, but a solid defensiv Game.
Matheson
I dont like to write about him, He is quick and fast also drafted from the Panthers, should be the next Campbell or puck caring defensman. That he is he can skate with the puck in the Offensive Zone.
His Defensive Game lacks in different parts, has a good Puck check. No Physical Game from him, good for some serious misplays, the most inconcistent Player current in this Team. But he still get 20 Minutes a Night Ice Time.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Good for the Habs, they will get a good package for him. Nobody could have predicted that, not even them.
Maybe. At that price it was low risk.

Damn Reimer was great in OT, tho it was his own fault they even went to OT in the first place. Justin Williams has been clutch in shootout.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Wow! They have guts - I would have no problem with DT pulling of a trade like that

I wanted Dale to make a move earlier but now I 'm starting to disagree. This team has shown nothing, why waste assets when they can't even hold on to a playoff spot? Looks like the defense needs a massive makeover and I don't see how it's doable mid-season. If anything they look like sellers at this point.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I wanted Dale to make a move earlier but now I 'm starting to disagree. This team has shown nothing, why waste assets when they can't even hold on to a playoff spot? Looks like the defense needs a massive makeover and I don't see how it's doable mid-season. If anything they look like sellers at this point.
We are right in the middle of things if we win the next game. So I don't see why we would already be sellers today.

As Rutherford said, Zucker is not a rental, they get him in his prime and he considers the next 3 years - the length of Zucker's contract - as their window for another cup run.

If we actually have a window - let's say Barky's and Huby's contract length until '22 and '23 respectively - I do this trade (but as you said rather for a top-4 Dman than for a top-6 winger)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
We are right in the middle of things if we win the next game. So I don't see why we would already be sellers today.

As Rutherford said, Zucker is not a rental, they get him in his prime and he considers the next 3 years - the length of Zucker's contract - as their window for another cup run.

If we actually have a window - let's say Barky's and Huby's contract length until '22 and '23 respectively - I do this trade (but as you said rather for a top-4 Dman than for a top-6 winger)

Yeah if it's someone with term. But that means we would have to ship Matheson and/or Yandle out mid season and I don't see that happening. Matheson can't even hold on to a roster spot, who would want him? Yandle as a family man would probably accept a trade during the off-season but not now.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I would assume they are going to try hard as hell to dump Matheson and Yandle this offseason.
Yandle I'm not 100% sure about. I'm sure the team finds value in his offense (I personally don't like him overall as a player), but I think Matheson is as good as done. DT is likely scrambling now to get rid of him as I think he knows he won't be taken in the expansion draft.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I would assume they are going to try hard as hell to dump Matheson and Yandle this offseason.
I don’t think Yandle is as likely as you think. He’s been pulling his weight. He made the great pass at the end of the Pitt game, Dadonov couldn’t finish/got slashed. He had a couple last night as well. When our PP goes cold we tend to lose too and it’s hard to believe we’ll have as good as a PP

matheson is as good as gone, imo but we may be sending a first with him

Reactions: klabob

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Yeah if it's someone with term. But that means we would have to ship Matheson and/or Yandle out mid season and I don't see that happening. Matheson can't even hold on to a roster spot, who would want him? Yandle as a family man would probably accept a trade during the off-season but not now.
Ownership and DT managed to completely tie DT's hands by allowing him and him actually spending to the cap. What a vicious circle. It really doesn't any swing and miss

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I don’t think Yandle is as likely as you think. He’s been pulling his weight. He made the great pass at the end of the Pitt game, Dadonov couldn’t finish/got slashed. He had a couple last night as well. When our PP goes cold we tend to lose too and it’s hard to believe we’ll have as good as a PP

Yeah, I also think that Yandle is the better player - and recently he did not have as many glaring brain farts whereas Matheson - well, is just Matheson.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I get what you’re saying but we win the next two games and we are back in the two team race with Toronto for third place.

also, if we aren’t buying, we should sell and we won’t sell so might as well try to make the playoffs

Reactions: klabob

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I get what you’re saying but we win the next two games and we are back in the two team race with Toronto for third place.

also, if we aren’t buying, we should sell and we won’t sell so might as well try to make the playoffs

Yeah might as well try to the end to make the playoffs. I just think we shouldn't be spending assets too much on a bubble team unless it's a long term solution and that would require them to move Math/Yandle. Which doesn't seem realistic right now.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

I don’t think they like Yandle regardless. Yes I understand he’s a good PP QB, but I think they are sick of his terrible defense. Just a hunch, he’s also not a Tallon guy.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I don’t think they like Yandle regardless. Yes I understand he’s a good PP QB, but I think they are sick of his terrible defense. Just a hunch, he’s also not a Tallon guy.

I would tend to agree with this...I think Tallon would trade him in a heartbeat.

The biggest problem with him (and Matheson, for that matter) is his contract is very difficult to trade in-season. Dale is in a tough spot because he'll likely have to wait until the off-season to make any significant changes on the back-end (he definitely shares some of the blame for this), but he also may not be around by that point.

It's a failure by Tallon and management as a whole, though. They went all-in on this team, spent to the cap, hired an expensive coach and it's not coming together. It's time for a fresh start and a bit of a personnel overhaul (on and off ice). I'm not sure if Pronger is ready to be the GM, but something has to give.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I would tend to agree with this...I think Tallon would trade him in a heartbeat.

The biggest problem with him (and Matheson, for that matter) is his contract is very difficult to trade in-season. Dale is in a tough spot because he'll likely have to wait until the off-season to make any significant changes on the back-end (he definitely shares some of the blame for this), but he also may not be around by that point.

It's a failure by Tallon and management as a whole, though. They went all-in on this team, spent to the cap, hired an expensive coach and it's not coming together. It's time for a fresh start and a bit of a personnel overhaul (on and off ice). I'm not sure if Pronger is ready to be the GM, but something has to give.
Pronger has massive respect around the league and is a no BS guy. To be honest I’m ready to roll the dice on him

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

There are only 5 teams without the Cap Space currently to get Matheson on their book. It's just a question of what we are willing to give Detroit or NJ to take on Matheson and what kind of assets we are willing to give during a retool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad