Around the League XXX: Oilers make the playoffs and Wings miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It is very surprising to hear and is really disappointing. Do you know if it is growing nationwide in Canada or are the trends in your area a nationwide issue? I know there are programs in the US that help make the game more affordable and that has caused the game to really grow here. I assume there are programs like this in Canada?

I know my parents costs for me to play were very high due to the program, travel, and the fact that I was a growing goalie who needed gear each year.

I feel like the cost of gear has doubled in the past 7-10 years.

I believe basketball took over as the most popular sport among youths this past year. I can't speak for other cities or towns in Canada, but I would imagine the asme trend would apply there as in my old town.

The programs are kind of dumb, and I would not qualify. You have to make less than 37k a year to qualify with a family of 4. I make 52k, my wife is a stay at home mom, and we barely get by with a house and a newer vehicle. Hockey is the last thing on my to do list for my kids, as it would cost a thousand dollars just to see him flop around on the ice his first year. I'm not worried about costs in the early years, more about the costs when he likes it, potentially gets good at it, and it costs an arm and a leg that I can't afford.

My experience:
What I'm trying to say here is that baseball, golf, and soccer aren't cheap either. The startup costs are definitely higher for hockey, but if your kid is reasonably above average in any of those other sports the costs will start adding up quickly as well. Travel sports used to be about playing better competition. Now I think it's just more of a status thing, unless you're talking about the truly elite kids/teams where they can only be challenged by playing the best from another area.

P.S. - Regarding equipment, I've found costs to be very manageable by buying everything on clearance. My son knows he's not getting the latest stick. These are healthy/good conversations to have with your kids about the value of a dollar.

Not in Canada. Baseball is really cheap to sign up for, half the cost of hockey. You don't need to buy a bat, just a glove (max 50$), and some cleats ($50). You drive around, but not too far, 50km radius. Basketball is even cheaper than that, as is soccer. Even golf was cheaper, my boss and his son play all the time, and his son is starting to get competitve with it, he said it was cheaper for him to golf than to play hockey last year, and his son isn't really at that high of a level in hockey.

I understand you can buy used, and that's what I would do. But what do I tell him when he potentially becomes a really good hockey player and Dad can't afford to put him in hockey anymore, so he has to play with all the bums in house league.

Maybe it's just something I can't understand since I'm not a parent but I don't know what some of these parents are thinking. The chances of your kid making it at a pro in any sport are hilariously minuscule so what are you doing? Let them play park district, play as much as they want, and let them enjoy being a kid. It'll save everyone the pain in the ass and it'll save parents a lot of money.
Yeah, I'm just letting my son gravitate towards what he wants to do, with a little bit of guidance. I am thinking about guitar lessons, drum lessons, karate, and maybe baseball in the summer just because he seems to really like it more than any other sport.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think "travel" anything is inherently expensive. My cousin played travel soccer. He and my aunt and uncle were bouncing around all over the place. Had to go from Illinois suburbs to Vegas to Florida and almost anywhere in between. I played travel baseball for one season and hated it. Never saw my friends and it took up my entire summer. I had an infinite amount of more fun playing Pony and high school baseball.

Maybe it's just something I can't understand since I'm not a parent but I don't know what some of these parents are thinking. The chances of your kid making it at a pro in any sport are hilariously minuscule so what are you doing? Let them play park district, play as much as they want, and let them enjoy being a kid. It'll save everyone the pain in the ass and it'll save parents a lot of money.

Different strokes for different folks. As someone who did that and lived that, I loved every second of it. I still had time to hang out with friends (who I am still friends with today all these years later) plus the guys or girls you play with a lot of times end up being life-long friends, too.

I missed out on some school functions, but I also got to travel to a lot of places and experience a lot of things those people didn't get to, and it allowed me to play at a competitive level after high school which would not have happened if I had only played house level. Again, that's me. I loved that, and loved that competition and where it took me, and I was fortunate that my dad was able to make it work financially somehow (things are even more expensive now) and he wouldn't change a second of it either. We knew all along I wasn't going to the NHL, but if that's the only reason you're playing then yes, it's stupid. Those odds are beyond slim, even to be a Division I caliber player, and even slimmer to get a full ride doing it. There are a host of other reasons that playing the highest level of competition in a sport can be a great thing IF it's something you actually enjoy doing and your family wants to support it. If my son grows up to want to do the same thing, I will facilitate without thinking twice as long as he is having fun at it and putting his all into it.

Again, to each their own, but I think the "you're not going pro so why bother" viewpoint is glossing over it a bit too much, in my opinion. More complex than that. That said, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing whatever level of sport is available, as long as you enjoy what you are doing. You can play a sport without having any desire to do anything more with it than just have fun. That's kinda how I was with baseball. I played travel one year and it was just too much for me, so I stuck with park district ball and still was able to play for my high school team through my junior year until I quit. I had no thoughts of playing baseball past the age of 18, I just loved playing and competing so I enjoyed it just for that.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Confirmed notes about jersey changes:

- Oilers going orange as their new homes. Good in my book.

- Devils getting a complete rehaul? Interesting.... like their look, so hopefully they don't destroy it.

Hopes of mine:

- Here's hoping that Ottawa either goes back to black or promotes their heritage jerseys to be their new home (and away) jerseys.

- Watch the Isles **** it up and have their horrible black jerseys as their new homes.

- Ducks jerseys suck, but their third is okay. Hopefully that gets promoted to full-time home.

- Avs will screw it up again and keep piping, I'm sure.

- Hey Columbus.... promote the cannon to your new full-time homes!

- Wild better not get rid of their great logos for their bland thirds getting promoted.

- Sharks better keep teal as their main and not promote black.

- Would be nice if Calgary went full retro.

- Hawks hopefully aren't crazy enough to mess with a good thing. Recent tendency to just do a rehash of our away jerseys for outdoor games makes me feel pretty comfortable that they won't mess too much with us.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hawks won't change anything. I'm surprised to see the Devils will be changing things up. I've always loved their uniforms.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Watching on the fly this morning on NHL network and their were some good bits about the Hawks per Elliot Freidman.

Apparently one of the favorite sites next year for an outdoor game is Notre Dame - which will almost certainly involve the Hawks on New Year's Day.

They're supposedly naming 6 active guys as top 100 of all time tomorrow which are automatic all stars with Jagr, Crosby, Kane, Toews, Malkin and Keith the six names he offered up.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Potentially two outdoor games!?

Ze5zOtt.gif

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Potentially two outdoor games!?

Ze5zOtt.gif

Yeah, the ratings of the Centennial Classic this year being outdone by the Winter Classic should probably tell the NHL to keep it to one game.

I also understand why the talk would be the Hawks in it again... they draw a crowd, and large crowds = large sums of money. The NHL will continue to ride the Hawks train until it runs out of the green stuff, honestly. No reason for them not to.

Notre Dame... huh? I played in so many tournaments there growing up, it's not even funny. Seems I had a couple there every year. I could see a Columbus/Chicago at Notre Dame. Or a Detroit/Chicago at Notre Dame. Not that I want it... I'm sick of the outdoor games, as I'm sure the Hawks are as well, but the NHL wants their money.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

If this is any indicator, hopefully the Central jersey will be purple. Would totally get a purple Crow jersey if it was halfway decent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trade

G Jhonas Enroth to Ana
2018 7th round pick to Tor

Enroth is awful so this is only a move to improve Ducks AHL goaltending ,, Likely will be waived and then join San Diego

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If i can install the NBCSN app on my Roku and use my parent's Direct TV account, will I be able to watch the Pens/Caps game tonight.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If i can install the NBCSN app on my Roku and use my parent's Direct TV account, will I be able to watch the Pens/Caps game tonight.

Assuming the game is actually on their app, yes. You won't have a problem at all. I use my in laws Comcast info to do this all the time, and they're in a different zip code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad