Around the League XXX: Oilers make the playoffs and Wings miss

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
That's insane. They're rolling right now.

Four shutouts in their last six, per the announcers last night. A feat that would never happen at Quenneville's "the game is 60 mins long?" "country club". (And before someone jumpes to offer me a seat on the Caps' bandwagon, like the one I was offered on the Blue Jackets', I still don't consider Washington a Cup favorite.)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Watch the caps play. Their defenseman can all skate really well. Who cares if they are that good at defending, they can wheel it out of the zone and they're gone. Schmidt can't defend for his life but he can absolutely fly and I watch and he's barely even in his own zone he barely needs to defend.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
5 goal 2nd period for the Pens, all against Holtby. Who has now been pulled. Still 5+ minutes left in the period, too.

Caps went up 3-0. Then down 5-3. Now they retaliate real quick, and cut it to 5-4.

Penguins scored 5 goals in 8:09. Wild game.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Caps with a shorty to tie it at 5.

And now Malkin with a goal on the PP, to give him a hat trick.

:laugh:

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Watch the caps play. Their defenseman can all skate really well. Who cares if they are that good at defending, they can wheel it out of the zone and they're gone. Schmidt can't defend for his life but he can absolutely fly and I watch and he's barely even in his own zone he barely needs to defend.

5 goal 2nd period for the Pens, all against Holtby. Who has now been pulled. Still 5+ minutes left in the period, too.

Caps went up 3-0. Then down 5-3. Now they retaliate real quick, and cut it to 5-4.

Penguins scored 5 goals in 8:09. Wild game.
:laugh:

Just funny timing

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

No. We both know that is not how it works.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
No. We both know that is not how it works.

well I mean kinda. Guys like Schultz thrive in that system, they barely even need to defend 80% of the time. Forwards collapse and help the D, these guys are barely playing defence.

I wasn't always in favor of it, but after seeing what I have seen lately from the top team systems and relating it to the Blackhawks, I have come to the conclusion that the lack of pace of play and quickness is the problem and the inability to get pucks on net, we'd rather rim it around and cycle rather than wrist it on net and look for a rebound. Everything is to the net.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
well I mean kinda. Guys like Schultz thrive in that system, they barely even need to defend 80% of the time. Forwards collapse and help the D, these guys are barely playing defence.

I wasn't always in favor of it, but after seeing what I have seen lately from the top team systems and relating it to the Blackhawks, I have come to the conclusion that the lack of pace of play and quickness is the problem and the inability to get pucks on net, we'd rather rim it around and cycle rather than wrist it on net and look for a rebound. Everything is to the net.

Nobody is only defending 20% of the time. There's been plenty of really talented offensive system that didn't stick at this level and their teams system wasn't the issue.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I understand nobody defends 20% of the time. There's a reason guys like Schultz, Daley, Schmidt are excelling and it's not because they're great positinally in their own zone. Its because they jump into plays and can skate and don't hesitate. They ALL can skate. They don't have to defend nearly as much because they're always in the other teams end because they're constantly pinching and flying around the zone and then when it's chipped out they regroup in the neutral zone dump and then change. They barely see the offensive zone and maybe they give up an odd man chance maybe they don't. There was some crazy bounces today but both the pens and the caps play this way and the game ended 8-7, is that some sort of coincidence? No it's just proof they BOTH play that way and when they come up against each other, both playing very similar styles, they give up tons of chances. But against other teams in the NHL that aren't as crisp and quick and don't play as up pace and quickly, they excel and wear them down with their great forechecking and constant pressure sealing off the boards with pinching D.

Yes the Hawks lack the depth of these teams but not by a ton. Team speed is definitely the area I see lacking.

Also: Justin Schultz struggled heavily in Edmonton, not being paired with Ian Cole/TD was not the reason he struggled, playing a system that didn't fit him was

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't think I send 117 emails a year. Some people care about their sports way, way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad