Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Shocked LA got out from under that contract without having to give anything up. Sure the contract they got back is also bad, but it's only 3 y x 5.25 bad not 7 y x 8.5 mil bad.

edit: Kuemper isn't a bad buyout...3 years of cap savings and then a few years of under $1 mil penalty.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
PLD is only 25, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.

With the way he played and presented himself, I don't see that being very likely.

Is this a calculated gamble on WSH's part? Because it looks like a shit gamble to me.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
People aren't talking about the fact that McDavid simply cannot shoot, that's an entire element of his game that's been missing all year and he's still producing at Gretzky levels in the Playoffs.

Game 1 in particular he had 2-3 chances on the PP to walk downhill and shoot but he didn't, he went behind the net instead. He was doing stuff like this last year when he scored 60:

Since the bubble year we've been seeing the modern day Michael Jordan.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
PLD is only 24, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.

PLD is only 22, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.

The thing is, he did work out in Columbus (61 points at age 20) until he lost interest, quit on his team and forced a trade.

And then he worked out in Winnipeg ... until he forced a trade again.

It's not like he hasn't had 3-4 NHL seasons where he's been a legitimately good player worthy of that contract, in a vacuum. It's just that he's an entitled flake who sulks and pouts when things go his way, and that's been the case for as much of his career as he's been good.

Some time over the next 5 years I have little doubt that he'll put up a 60-70 point quality two-way season. It's just whether he'll put up 4 of them in the next 5 years or 1 of them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
LA decided to take the big risk of the albatross off the table. Obviously they had to take a different bad contract in exchange.

I was pretty wrong on PLD. He's just not going to figure it out.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
LA decided to take the big risk of the albatross off the table. Obviously they had to take a different bad contract in exchange.

I was pretty wrong on PLD. He's just not going to figure it out.
He just doesn’t care, there is nothing to figure out

Reactions: Flik

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The thing is, he did work out in Columbus (61 points at age 20) until he lost interest, quit on his team and forced a trade.

It's not like he hasn't had 3-4 NHL seasons where he's been a legitimately good player worthy of that contract, in a vacuum. It's just that he's an entitled flake who sulks and pouts when things go his way, and that's been the case for as much of his career as he's been good.

Some time over the next 5 years I have little doubt that he'll put up a 60-70 point quality two-way season. It's just whether he'll put up 4 of them in the next 5 years or 1 of them.

not sure i'd be making the bet that he won't sulk and pout after being forced out of his dream destination of LA to go to DC, a couple weeks before his NMC kicks in

he should rack up some points with Ovi though. wonder if the Caps go after Zegras next

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

For sure. As bad as the LA trade and subsequent contract signing was, he's basically had one really bad year in his career and it was last year. Otherwise he's been a .5 to .8ish two way centre in the NHL which is a pretty valuable asset all during his early 20s.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he returns to that. His career stats suggest more that he was a bad fit in LA uber defensive system than he is going to be a perpetual .5 ppg player.

Reactions: mossey3535

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
PLD is only 24, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.

PLD is only 22, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.
For me PLD seems like a guy who has the talent - 3 60 point seasons, but you just don't want on a winning team for whatever attitude reasons. Which should work for Washington as they're more concerned with Ovi breaking Gretzky's after which he'll retire and they'll be in a lengthy rebuild period.

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean rebuild would take like 5-8 seasons. I think it will take 2 seasons min for Ovie to break the record and then after that those contracts will help them be absolute ass for like 2-3 seasons so the timeline is really not that bad.
Yes, but the Caps have kept their top 2 draft picks the past 2 drafts as well as this one. They are now done moving picks for now players, since they acquired Mantha for their 2021 first.

They will have some young players in the system and coming onto the roster, which is why I wonder about the 7 more years with PLD. I get getting through 1 with Wilson. But, 2 of them? Thus, I don't think they will be bottom feeders in the bottom 3 for like 4 years once Ovy is done.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
For me PLD seems like a guy who has the talent - 3 60 point seasons, but you just don't want on a winning team for whatever attitude reasons. Which should work for Washington as they're more concerned with Ovi breaking Gretzky's after which he'll retire and they'll be in a lengthy rebuild period.
Seems like a case of, got the bag, hockey is job, don’t care.

Reactions: Flik

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Similar to Alexei Kovalev in Montreal...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
LOL WASHINGTON

I ... am I the only one who doesn't mind this for Washington, given where they're at?

They essentially spent $3 million in cap space to upgrade from their bad old backup goalie to a C who scored at a 70-point pace in 22-23. They care about the last couple years of Ovechkin and trying to squeak him into the playoffs and get him his record, and they're a better team with a better balance sheet than yesterday. The last few years of the contract are a 'who cares' to them because they'll be in the middle of a rebuild.

I'm much more on the LOL Kings boat here. What a clusterf*** of a series of transactions.

And I think that the reaction to Dubois has swung too far into the 'so overrated/criticized he's now underrated' zone.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
People aren't talking about the fact that McDavid simply cannot shoot, that's an entire element of his game that's been missing all year and he's still producing at Gretzky levels in the Playoffs.

Game 1 in particular he had 2-3 chances on the PP to walk downhill and shoot but he didn't, he went behind the net instead. He was doing stuff like this last year when he scored 60:

Since the bubble year we've been seeing the modern day Michael Jordan.

This to me is the freakiest thing about his playoff. I don't even think he's at his top level. I think he's been playing hurt for some time, as evidenced by his relative reluctance to shoot. And he's STILL running away with points records. Just ridiculous.

Reactions: Horvat1C

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I ... am I the only one who doesn't mind this for Washington, given where they're at?

They essentially spent $3 million in cap space to upgrade from their bad old backup goalie to a C who scored at a 70-point pace in 22-23. They care about the last couple years of Ovechkin and trying to squeak him into the playoffs and get him his record, and they're a better team with a better balance sheet than yesterday. The last few years of the contract are a 'who cares' to them because they'll be in the middle of a rebuild.

I'm much more on the LOL Kings boat here. What a clusterf*** of a series of transactions.

And I think that the reaction to Dubois has swung too far into the 'so overrated/criticized he's now underrated' zone.
Ya, its a big ballsy swing for the Capitals. It likely going to end up as a homerun or on of the worst trades in recent history.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I think it's two teams with weird goals trying to exchange bad contracts. Probably works out better for the Capitals but there's also a chance that Kuemper provides exactly what the Kings want.

It's one of those trades where I think neither side wins but because of the individual team's goals, this suits the Capitals more than the Kings.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya, its a big ballsy swing for the Capitals. It likely going to end up as a homerun or on of the worst trades in recent history.

See, I don't think it can be.

To be one of the worst trades, you have to be f***ing up your ability to compete. It has to set the organization back, set the franchise back, result in missing the playoffs, forcing a rebuild or whatever.

Washington is like the 2018 Blackhawks or Sharks. They're trying to keep the motor running a couple more years, the net cost for the few years that actually matter (relative to Kuemper) is peanuts ... and then they'll be in a massive rebuild for the last 4 years of that deal and the worst-case is that he's just overpaid filler on a team competing for #1 overalls. They don't care.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

I agree. Washington bought low, moved a big contract and gave up zero futures on a team that is essentially “win now” as long as Leonsis wants. I like it.

Reactions: MS

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

To be one of the worst trades, you have to be f***ing up your ability to compete. It has to set the organization back, set the franchise back, result in missing the playoffs, forcing a rebuild or whatever.

Washington is like the 2018 Blackhawks or Sharks. They're trying to keep the motor running a couple more years, the net cost for the few years that actually matter (relative to Kuemper) is peanuts ... and then they'll be in a massive rebuild for the last 4 years of that deal and the worst-case is that he's just overpaid filler on a team competing for #1 overalls. They don't care.
That's a fair point that I didn't consider regarding their overall team outlook, but they're committing 60 million dollars to a guy who barely gives a shit half of the time (and certainly won't be happy living in Washington over his preferred glamorous LA) instead of 15 million dollars for an old goalie. You might as well just give Matt Duchene some short contract and rinse and repeat each year until Ovechkin hits the record.

And like, eventually the rebuild happens when Dubois is still around, and that's not someone I want near young players.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I get that. But if he continues to be a 40 point player, then I don't care what stage they are in their cycle, its going to be one of the worst trades in recent history.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Shocked LA got out from under that contract without having to give anything up. Sure the contract they got back is also bad, but it's only 3 y x 5.25 bad not 7 y x 8.5 mil bad.

edit: Kuemper isn't a bad buyout...3 years of cap savings and then a few years of under $1 mil penalty.
Absolutely shocked there's no retention or anything. Given how poor LA's goaltending was, they might even try Kuemper prior to a buyout (I realize he sucks, but they started Talbot this year lolol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad