News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2024-25

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Rightly so, Hockeybuzz gets criticized for the rumor-mongering, but they have some bloggers who provide good actual info. Case in point, this is from the Flyers' blogger today about FLA GM Bill Zito:

"Zito has always a rare eye for talent missed by others. As an agent, he first made his mark by identifying under-the-radar players who were late-round NHL Draftees or undrafted players and then convincing them to hire him as their NHL agent. He specialized in particular in players who were playing in Finland. His early clients included goalie Tim Thomas, defenseman Brian Rafalski, defenseman Ray Giroux, defenseman Kimmo Timonen and forward Ville Leino."

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Wanted to come post this.

It's coming on the heels of DET sending Walman and a 2nd rounder to SJS.

That's 2 Dmen shipped out, a decent forward prospect brought in, and a flipping of 2nds.

Some will think it indicates that Detroit is looking to do something big with the blueline, but they've got blueliners galore in that system.

Me thinks the door is simply being opened permanently for Edvinsson with Sandin-Pellikka coming over soon (although I hope they leave him in Sweden).

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

That's 2 Dmen shipped out, a decent forward prospect brought in, and a flipping of 2nds.

Some will think it indicates that Detroit is looking to do something big with the blueline, but they've got blueliners galore in that system.

Me thinks the door is simply being opened permanently for Edvinsson with Sandin-Pellikka coming over soon (although I hope they leave him in Sweden).
Grier's best move to date. Wings have a fair amount of cap space with the 3.4 coming off the books.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

DET paid a 2nd round pick to move out 2 years of a $3.4M salary. That seems like a pretty high price, no?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Niche sport.

The struggle for hockey will always be how expensive it is to get into the sport. Even on Long Island I played mostly roller and dek due to crazy ice times, schools not having teams, and ice being insanely expensive.

Down south where I live in a pretty built up area with a minor league hockey team there is no such thing as dek, roller is pick up only, and ice is much cheaper. The NHL really needs to make a push to get hockey into the school system with equipment is included and I think the sport would absolutely flourish. The only thing I think they would need to do is focus on dek and roller due to all schools not being able to use the same ice rinks for as many schools are there are.

Reactions: MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Grier's best move to date. Wings have a fair amount of cap space with the 3.4 coming off the books.

DET paid a 2nd round pick to move out 2 years of a $3.4M salary. That seems like a pretty high price, no?

This was likely the easiest decision Grier will ever have to make.

Imagine getting a call from Yzerman and hearing, "Hey, I was wondering if you could, uh, imagine helping yourself reach the cap floor by taking the suddenly top-5 quality Walman and his 2-year contract under 4 MM off my hands? I'll give you a 2nd for your troubles."

That's a call Lou ain't ever gettin'.

Reactions: eoin92

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The struggle for hockey will always be how expensive it is to get into the sport. Even on Long Island I played mostly roller and dek due to crazy ice times, schools not having teams, and ice being insanely expensive.

Down south where I live in a pretty built up area with a minor league hockey team there is no such thing as dek, roller is pick up only, and ice is much cheaper. The NHL really needs to make a push to get hockey into the school system with equipment is included and I think the sport would absolutely flourish. The only thing I think they would need to do is focus on dek and roller due to all schools not being able to use the same ice rinks for as many schools are there are.

As a symptom of the high cost to enter the sport, casual people don't understand the rules which pushes people away from watching. When a game is super confusing with a million whistles, most will turn it off.

I've heard that Icing is the most confusing thing during a game because it happens all the time and is never explained by broadcast team (rightfully so). The same person that complained to me about not understanding Icing eventually learned what it was by playing the NHL video game lol.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Isn't that football? The game is 90% dead time and whistles.

For the most part, every whistle or stoppage in football is explained because of all the dead time. Not to mention the insane amount of slow-mo replays breaking down every hold, facemask, late hit, etc.

Hockey is too fast moving to stop, explain and review for something as innocuous as icing.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
ummm...if you do not know what icing is...how bloody hard is it to grab your phone, which you are probably already holding in your hand, checking to see how your last Facebook post is doing, and look the bloody rule up!!! If you are not capable of doing so, you should not be watching hockey. Period.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The league keeps expanding, revenues keep growing, the games are on tv/streaming, there’s a ton more rinks in the US, etc.

You can’t lower the cost of entry with a sport that requires several pieces of specialized equipment and surface that requires nature or utility-generated surfaces to play it.

Why is this always a discussion with hockey in how it compares on ratings?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
The league keeps expanding, revenues keep growing, the games are on tv/streaming, there’s a ton more rinks in the US, etc.

You can’t lower the cost of entry with a sport that requires several pieces of specialized equipment and surface that requires nature or utility-generated surfaces to play it.

Why is this always a discussion with hockey in how it compares on ratings?
In terms of how easy it is to get into (pickup)
Basketball all you need is a court and a ball
Soccer a ball and a net (could even be just 2 cones like it was for me in elementary school)
Football while you do need equipment for pick up just a ball and maybe flags
Baseball you need the most for bats balls and a glove
Hockey you need a net, a stick and a puck plus even maybe goalie equipment

Once we get in competitive I don't even need to mention how much equipment you need and how expensive it.is (skates, stick, padding etc)

But imo the biggest problem with ratings today is ESPN poor job with the sport, the lack of personality with players, poor marketing by the NHL and while not exclusively NHL but the amount of packages you need to even watch all 82 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad