Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean he is going to ask for 15M and he should. The oilers won’t be able to ice any depth with him, McD, Bouchard, Nurse taking up like 50M.
McDavid and Drai on value contracts still ended up having to overpay to retain their home grown Nurse. I mean, if McDavid was at $14 mill and Drai at $10 mill and Nurse at $6.,25 mill same cap but at least you are kind of fine with Nurse at that amount. Same with the other 2. But, that's EDM. Long debunked logic of players taking less to play with Connor and Leon.

And they are not exactly loaded with prospects. They absolutely need Broberg, Holloway and Xavier B to hit.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
McDavid and Drai on value contracts still ended up having to overpay to retain their home grown Nurse. I mean, if McDavid was at $14 mill and Drai at $10 mill and Nurse at $6.,25 mill same cap but at least you are kind of fine with Nurse at that amount. Same with the other 2. But, that's EDM. Long debunked logic of players taking less to play with Connor and Leon.

And they are not exactly loaded with prospects. They absolutely need Broberg, Holloway and Xavier B to hit.
Yeah I just don’t see Drai staying, or McD really. They are big time players and they should be playing in a bigger market to grow the game. I think Drai will probably end up in like LA and then McD in like NY.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah I just don’t see Drai staying, or McD really. They are big time players and they should be playing in a bigger market to grow the game. I think Drai will probably end up in like LA and then McD in like NY.
My guess is both will do the nba star player move and re-sign without much discount and be prepared to ask for a trade as soon as the team has a disappointing playoff run.

I would be shocked if Drai doesn’t sign within a few weeks here. Can’t see him saying no after being that close to a cup with the team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How do you make a trade work? Edm would be foolish to allow them to just walk. Maybe only Drai walks if the push all their chips in next season.

Both NY teasm have been going for it and thus low on draft capital and prospects. And having some aging guys. Same with LA, they pushed in with Kopi and DD the past couple of seasons and killed their prospect pool. Add in Boston, and Toronto to that list.

Anaheim in a good position, SJ maybe in 2 more years. PHI maybe in a couple of years. Would they try to make a bold move in Chi?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
My guess is both will do the nba star player move and re-sign without much discount and be prepared to ask for a trade as soon as the team has a disappointing playoff run.

I would be shocked if Drai doesn’t sign within a few weeks here. Can’t see him saying no after being that close to a cup with the team.
Doubt it. I think next season is going to be like their last dance. Like I said, even at a discount he is going to cost them 14M. McD at a discount is like 16M? That’s 30M right there. Bouchard after that playoff is going to cost 10 and he’s not going to take anything lower than Nurse. That’s 50M right there. You think they don’t realize that they can’t be competitive with 4 players taking up 50M?

How do you make a trade work? Edm would be foolish to allow them to just walk. Maybe only Drai walks if the push all their chips in next season.

Both NY teasm have been going for it and thus low on draft capital and prospects. And having some aging guys. Same with LA, they pushed in with Kopi and DD the past couple of seasons and killed their prospect pool. Add in Boston, and Toronto to that list.

Anaheim in a good position, SJ maybe in 2 more years. PHI maybe in a couple of years. Would they try to make a bold move in Chi?
Edmonton is probably f***ed. If Drai doesn’t extend they have to trade him but Edmonton being Edmonton probably won’t and once Drai walks then McD is gone for sure and they probably won’t trade him either.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

But, once Leon puts pen to paper, it becomes hard to get out of EDM. Have to make the cap work plus EDM is on virtually everyone's NTC list. So, hard to send back enough cap to fit them in. Better off to get dealt first. Or just demand a trade this off-season.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
We’ll see regarding Drai. I think there’s a lot of wishful thinking going on in here and that’s understandable. If the Canucks won R2 I’d buy the Drai is leaving theories.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Doubt it. I think next season is going to be like their last dance. Like I said, even at a discount he is going to cost them 14M. McD at a discount is like 16M? That’s 30M right there. Bouchard after that playoff is going to cost 10 and he’s not going to take anything lower than Nurse. That’s 50M right there. You think they don’t realize that they can’t be competitive with 4 players taking up 50M?

Edmonton is probably f***ed. If Drai doesn’t extend they have to trade him but Edmonton being Edmonton probably won’t and once Drai walks then McD is gone for sure and they probably won’t trade him either.
They have one more year, then it blows up, I agree. Drai is going to want to be the #1 guy somewhere instead of playing second fiddle to McDavid. Their bottom 6 is going to look a whole lot worse, they have $10m to sign 9 guys.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

You're on the money. Accommodating McDavid alone, as valuable as he is, is a massive $16M cap commitment. To bring Drai as well? The roster would need to be blown up to make it happen. Teams with that kind of room are probably nowhere close to competing for the Cup and contenders trying to make room to sign them are taking a massive risk if they don't land the big fish.

So imo it's actually easier for them to stay put, but leveraging NMCs to control their destination if the Oilers can't remain competitive. At the end of the day, they were 1 goal away from the Cup and there aren't many chairs that can be shuffled around the league to put them in a better position than they were earlier in the week. A NMC-driven trade scenario makes it easier for all parties involved.

Reactions: Nucker101

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They have one more year, then it blows up, I agree. Drai is going to want to be the #1 guy somewhere instead of playing second fiddle to McDavid. Their bottom 6 is going to look a whole lot worse, they have $10m to sign 9 guys.
I don’t think anyone knows what Drai can get in the open market as well. 16? 17? What’s the cap max now? I think he has to be able to get close to that. I think maybe he can take a discount of like 1M from that but can Edmonton really pay him like 15-16 if he can get 16-17 on the open market?

I don’t know how they can ice an effective bottom 6 next season. I guess a lot of reclamation projects

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
How do you come to the conclusion “on the face of it, it doesn’t look like Perry’s injuries were worse” when it’s known that people with jumpers knee can barely walk.
Because, on the face of it, I don't think patellar tendinitis is necessarily worse than a broken rib and fine. In fact, I think a broken rib and finger is probably worse but obviously who really knows?

And I say this as someone who has been diagnosed with patellar tendinitis and have had it for over a year. But I have a host of issues in my leg and the patellar tendinitis actually isn't that bad, personally speaking.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You're on the money. Accommodating McDavid alone, as valuable as he is, is a massive $16M cap commitment. To bring Drai as well? The roster would need to be blown up to make it happen. Teams with that kind of room are probably nowhere close to competing for the Cup and contenders trying to make room to sign them are taking a massive risk if they don't land the big fish.

So imo it's actually easier for them to stay put, but leveraging NMCs to control their destination if the Oilers can't remain competitive. At the end of the day, they were 1 goal away from the Cup and there aren't many chairs that can be shuffled around the league to put them in a better position than they were earlier in the week. A NMC-driven trade scenario makes it easier for all parties involved.
Well cap is going to be 94M+ when McD is a UFA and the max contract is going to be 19M? He is going to cost like 18 and that’s like a discount already. I feel like the more I look at this, the more expensive McD is going to be lol.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Because, on the face of it, I don't think patellar tendinitis is necessarily worse than a broken rib and fine. In fact, I think a broken rib and finger is probably worse but obviously who really knows?

And I say this as someone who has been diagnosed with patellar tendinitis and have had it for over a year. But I have a host of issues in my leg and the patellar tendinitis actually isn't that bad, personally speaking.
My wife had that and she could barely walk. Of course she doesn’t have the muscles to support her as much but I could see how the daily pain really compounded.
I don’t have something like this but I have a disc injury and having pain everyday for every movement changes how you move. It’s almost as if our body are wired to not let you do shit when you are injured.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also hard to keep your hopes up playing in a market that players don't want to sign in. Like being in the NBA and being in Memphis, NO, OKC, or somewhere that doesn't attract talent.

The fact that Nurse doesn't give a bit of a discount to even drop to $8 mill AAV to remain there says a lot.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
My wife had that and she could barely walk. Of course she doesn’t have the muscles to support her as much but I could see how the daily pain really compounded.
I don’t have something like this but I have a disc injury and having pain everyday for every movement changes how you move. It’s almost as if our body are wired to not let you do shit when you are injured.
For sure, and I may also have a disc issue or nerve damage, and frankly, its been pretty miserable to deal with. My point was that, on the face of it, I don't think Pettersson's injury is necessarily worse than Draisaitl's. But obviously we will never know.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I think if Pete said something like...

"I have been dealing with an injury, and it did affect my play. I don't want to go into much detail, because it's still no excuse for my performance. I led the team down, I will take the lesson to heart and aim to be better."

It would sound better overall.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think if Pete said something like...

"I have been dealing with an injury, and it did affect my play. I don't want to go into much detail, because it's still no excuse for my performance. I led the team down, I will take the lesson to heart and aim to be better."

It would sound better overall.
He did say that.. just with more profanity.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Both are gone imo, this was the run and I don't see either choosing long term extensions to stay in edm with a team they have to drag every game and wind up injured every year.

Especially seeing vegas and Florida win, with star players they traded for, one just out of Alberta. Markstrom leaving etc.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He did say that.. just with more profanity.

Haha fair enough. But if he held back a bit on the details and put more emphasis on taking ownership it'd be better.

Either way I'm not super concerned about him. Next season he knows if he doesn't play well the focus will immediately be on him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Both are gone imo, this was the run and I don't see either choosing long term extensions to stay in edm with a team they have to drag every game and wind up injured every year.

Especially seeing vegas and Florida win, with star players they traded for, one just out of Alberta. Markstrom leaving etc.
More that they can't get any help. No one is wanting to join them.

But, their best destinations are the up and coming clubs.

LA, NYR, NYI, Bos, Tor, TB, Fla, Col, and then it's Pitt, Wash have been going for it (LA should not have been but did). These teams don't have the assets to make a trade work and have anything left for a max term Connor or Leon.

Larger markets with potential Mon, Phi, Det, Ana, Chi, SJ are the teams looking to ascend in the next 2 years when McDavid's deal runs out. Anyone else that can be a legit player for one of these guys?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Haha fair enough. But if he held back a bit on the details and put more emphasis on taking ownership it'd be better.

Either way I'm not super concerned about him. Next season he knows if he doesn't play well the focus will immediately be on him.
I don’t know what to say, he said it was not an excuse, he needs to be better and will work to improve. Do we need him to be more Japanese and then bow down to his knees and head on the floor and beg for forgiveness to determine leave of sincerity?

I am optimistic that he’ll be better. I really hope he will add different elements of his game so he can still score if some body part is f***ed. I think he needs to learn how to be more deceptive with his shot/game so he doesn’t need to rely on absolute power+precision to score.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I don’t know what to say, he said it was not an excuse, he needs to be better and will work to improve. Do we need him to be more Japanese and then bow down to his knees and head on the floor and beg for forgiveness to determine leave of sincerity?

I am optimistic that he’ll be better. I really hope he will add different elements of his game so he can still score if some body part is f***ed. I think he needs to learn how to be more deceptive with his shot/game so he doesn’t need to rely on absolute power+precision to score.

I understand. Also, although he didn't say it, but anchoring him with that idiot Mik probably didn't help him much.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
IMG_1377.jpg
Matheson looks like such an ignorant, doddering fool here.

Yes, the team that lost had 3 players more valuable than ANY player on the winning team. Like, his own kid should spit in his face for ruining the name he has to carry for the rest of his life (okay maybe that's a bit dramatic, but you get the point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad