Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That is a decision or thought that you make before you go drinking. Not afterwards.

Like Henry Ruggs of the LV Raiders. He took his Corvette to a night club. Geez... I wonder what the probability would be for a 23 year old to drink when he's at a night club. Almost a certainty, thus it is an easy decision to do a ride share to and from the night club. Not take the Corvette and then think, I don't want to leave it here to get towed and then deal with the hassle of getting it the next day. So, I'm going to drive it home. You are sober before you head out. That's the time to make the right decision based on what your activity is going to be.
I an pretty sure I remember this sentiment most from Big Daddy Dave Pratt of all people. On air he would mention this from time to time.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Ugh. Haven’t woken up to a gut punch like this since Jose Fernandez in 2016. The news about their sister’s wedding is just … man. And two very young children who will never know their father. f***.

Road biking is the most low-key deadly sport in the world. I had an ex who was a hardcore road biker and I tried to get into it for her and it was absolutely terrifying having cars you couldn’t see whipping by inches away from you. Tried for a couple months, had a couple near misses and said f*** that. She’s been hit by cars twice now, I have another friend who was destroyed by a car and lucky to live, have driven past a couple more cycling fatalities. In a world where drivers are so terrible it seems so crazy to be so exposed to outcomes like this.
Biking is really dangerous in America, I have a lot of friends who bike and almost every one of them have been hit with cars. There is like no f***ing way I would bike on the road.
This is just tragic

Reactions: wetcoast

Hooz

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know what will happen with Johnny’s contract? Will insurance get any of that money to his family? Considering there’s a gofundme up already I’m assuming not. Hopefully his family is well taken care of.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Does anybody know what will happen with Johnny’s contract? Will insurance get any of that money to his family? Considering there’s a gofundme up already I’m assuming not. Hopefully his family is well taken care of.
He made 10 million dollars just last year.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Specifically, the gofundme is for Matthew not Johnny. As for the precise mechanics of what happens with his contract in terms of salary, no idea. He wasn’t killed through any real fault of his own but other than that, I don’t think anyone can speak in absolutes.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The contract/cap hit itself will likely be discharged. The family gets paid out via life insurance (which I’m almost certain all high paid contracts have). How much and the structure of it no clue obviously and not my place to really speculate.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The contract/cap hit itself will likely be discharged. The family gets paid out via life insurance (which I’m almost certain all high paid contracts have). How much and the structure of it no clue obviously and not my place to really speculate.

I believe you are correct. Contract/cap hit will be off the books. Johnny's beneficiary will get paid life insurance and (if eligible) accidental death benefits. Googling suggests the amount might be $1M for life and max $15M for accidental death (given Gaudreau has almost $50M left on his contract).

BUT Gaudreau's death isn't "accidental." He was killed by a suspected drunk driver charged with vehicular homicide. I would be very surprised if there isn't some policy exclusion here as it is pretty standard.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

So what’s stopping teams from deffering $70M to a star player and bringing the AAV to like $4M a year? Lmao
So, if Jarvis were to leave Carolina after this contract, who is responsible for that money and cap charge in year 9? An NHL year is July 1 to June 30. So, any payments to Jarvis should conclude by June 30, 2032.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A big impact on the team as well. Not just the tragic loss of the player but now having to make the cap minimum and try to replace that skill.

So, if Jarvis were to leave Carolina after this contract, who is responsible for that money and cap charge in year 9? An NHL year is July 1 to June 30. So, any payments to Jarvis should conclude by June 30, 2032.
What if there were still contracts like Gretzky and Lemieux got where they are offered part of team ownership? Those can't be illegal but how are those figured out?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A big impact on the team as well. Not just the tragic loss of the player but now having to make the cap minimum and try to replace that skill.

What if there were still contracts like Gretzky and Lemieux got where they are offered part of team ownership? Those can't be illegal but how are those figured out?
SN on their website says $63.2 mill contract. But, $7.5 mill cap hit and $29.32 mill in SB. A $7.5 mill cap hit is $60 mill total. So, this $3.2 mill doesn't count or is calculated different?

Some are saying this year 9 amount is discounted back to a Net Present Value to calculate the AAV. But, logically, you could argue if they did that, then they should do that for each year of the contract. Like Johansen is getting $8 mill per year on his contract, so shouldn't the $64 mill total contract he signed then be discounted back to the year he signed it? This seems so strange.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
His family is set for life several times over. Still a horrible event obviously.

Reactions: theguardianII

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
What Carolina did with Jarvis is going to become table stakes for 8 year deals on big name players immediately, making it likelier that we have a CBA battle over how AAV is calculated once deferred money enters the picture.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That Jarvis contract sounds innovative in a way we haven't seen since the likes of a retroactive no trade clause.
It is but I don't get the logic of it. Sportsnet is showing $63.2 mill total value of the contract in actual dollars. Cap hit is $7.5 mill but that is $60 mill. So, somehow $3.2 mill has been discounted.

Main board is saying that the CBA allows for a NPV calculation on that 9th year. Something like the NHL would use a set interest rate of hypothetically 5% and discount that last SB using that rate over 9 years. So, $9 mill in 9 years at 5% is discounted down to $5.8 mill, thus a reduction of $3.2 mill.

Seems odd to allow this as why doesn't the NHL do that for each year of the contract and do a NPV of the contract in today's money? Plus, the cap increases, so we don't consider that at all which is why we don't do a NPV currently?

Reactions: BimJenning

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That Jarvis contract sounds innovative in a way we haven't seen since the likes of a retroactive no trade clause.
Well here is a clever idea.
McD gets an offer of 1.25% ownership in the Oilers. If valued at 1 Billion, which it isn't yet, that's 75 million, then he signs for league minimum for 8 years or both him and Dras. Of course that percentage could have conditions like a cash out or buyout clause by year 20. Just what could the team do with an additional 20+mil and growing in cap space? What could the league do?
A percentage can't be calculated because team value could go up or down.

Just a real out of the box idea.
A team takes up to 5% ownership in a term of 10 to 20 years to spread around their top players and gain almost unlimited cap space.

Another maybe for taxes, a team LOANS the player money? No taxes on loans/borrowed money?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What Carolina did with Jarvis is going to become table stakes for 8 year deals on big name players immediately, making it likelier that we have a CBA battle over how AAV is calculated once deferred money enters the picture.
We are what like 2 years from cba being due? Guess it’s good that this clause in the cba comes out now. I mean, Jarvis is young enough to get another contract after this but if this was say Slavin instead, then he wouldn’t be playing in year 9 and not have a contract yet this SB is then going to impact the players in the 32/33 season when it comes to escrow? Doesn’t seem right.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Not having deferred money count as a dead cap charge is incredibly stupid.
In theory the discount rate applied in the calculation should reflect how much Jarvis is giving up in value by waiting to be paid. A bonus paid today is worth a lot more than one paid 9 years from now.

I do wonder if this is a point in time opportunity though given we’re in an unprecedented economy compared to the past 20 years. If the NHL is valuing the deal in a wonky way compared to how the Canes/Jarvis see it (e.g. discounting too heavily), they could effectively be getting some cap savings.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
In theory the discount rate applied in the calculation should reflect how much Jarvis is giving up in value by waiting to be paid. A bonus paid today is worth a lot more than one paid 9 years from now.

I do wonder if this is a point in time opportunity though given we’re in an unprecedented economy compared to the past 20 years. If the NHL is valuing the deal in a wonky way compared to how the Canes/Jarvis see it (e.g. discounting too heavily), they could effectively be getting some cap savings.

Yeah, I get that and it’s also why players have been extremely hesitant to defer any money.

But I stand by my opinion. Any money committed to a player should count towards the salary cap. Otherwise it’s not a hard salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad