Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If I am the Oilers I trade Ceci to a team. Obviously, you would have to attach a pick and or prospect.

This is likely their last chance to win it.
Even if we assume it’d cost around a 5th to dump Ceci, does Ceci + a 2nd + a 5th net you a better player than Broberg?

Reactions: quat and canucksfan

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Is there a historical list somewhere of offer sheets? Seems like St Louis has been involved more often than not.
11 of the 40 signed offersheets on record since 1986 were tendered by the St. Louis Blues.

8 of the 11 were offered between 1990-1995 with many of them revolving around the Scott Stevens, Craig Janney and Brendan Shanahan debacle.

Then none were signed at all in the NHL between early 1998 and late 2006.

The Blues' last OS was to Steve Bernier in 2008.

(Edited for clarification.)

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I can't imagine the Oilers dumping Ceci given what it cost to move less expensive Cody Glass. Plus who's going to play defense for them?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't imagine the Oilers dumping Ceci given what it cost to move less expensive Cody Glass. Plus who's going to play defense for them?
IIRC, Ceci has a very limited NTC like at most 10 teams or less. But, no NMC, so could be buried in Bakersfield if he wouldn't waive to certain clubs, but still, $2 mill would be left on his cap hit even if demoted for the Oilers to figure out.

EDM was slow on this. Should have tried to get him to like Ana as he's a RHD and all of their trio of young D are lefties and they have Fowler as well. But, Ana added Dum from SEA and have a natural RHD in Gudas. So, they are not desperate to add.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
What a conundrum for the Oilers. If they let Broberg walk then they still need to deal with being over the cap once Kane returns. If they move Ceci to try to get cap compliant then their already thin D is down Broberg, Desharnais and Ceci from last year with no young prospects ready to step up and no cap space to add anyone of significance. The only move that really makes sense imo is to try to move Kane but his no trade clause plus his injury and history means that will cost them.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
11 of the 40 signed offersheets on record since 1986 were tendered by the St. Louis Blues.

8 of the 11 were offered between 1990-1995 with many of them revolving around the Scott Stevens, Craig Janney and Brendan Shanahan debacle.

Then none were signed at all in the NHL between early 1998 and late 2006.

The Blues' last OS was to Steve Bernier in 2008.

(Edited for clarification.)

The Blues definitely used it as a strategy, especially in the early 90s.

Funny thing with the Petr Nedved offer sheet, it eventually played a big part of the 94 run. The Canucks wanted Brendan Shanahan, but was awarded Craig Janney and a 2nd. Janney refused to report so he was traded back for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.

I wonder who the Canucks took with that 2nd?

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The discussions surrounding Broberg post-offer sheet is interesting given that Benning was frequently mocked here for his reported desire to draft Broberg.

I think Broberg is still largely unproven but clearly Dmen with his size, skating, and puckmoving abilities are enticing.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The discussions surrounding Broberg post-offer sheet is interesting given that Benning was frequently mocked here for his reported desire to draft Broberg.

I think Broberg is still largely unproven but clearly Dmen with his size, skating, and puckmoving abilities are enticing.

Given Edmonton's current defense situation, they really don't have much room for setbacks, if any room at all.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What a conundrum for the Oilers. If they let Broberg walk then they still need to deal with being over the cap once Kane returns. If they move Ceci to try to get cap compliant then their already thin D is down Broberg, Desharnais and Ceci from last year with no young prospects ready to step up and no cap space to add anyone of significance. The only move that really makes sense imo is to try to move Kane but his no trade clause plus his injury and history means that will cost them.
Teams don't expect OS. But, with the rising cap, and the top guys getting paid 8 figures, those are no longer the OS targets. It's the 2nd round compensation range that becomes the most interesting. Just decent production on the ELC would typically mean $2 mill give or take on a bridge, but if you come in just at the max for a 2nd round comp, which is currently mid $4's and going to move closer to $5 mill in the future, that becomes that target point to OS a player if you have the cap room while the other club is tight to the cap. Not as concerned about pick 33 and later and most likely to be in the 40's.

But, you never truly like to use OS and that becomes a negotiation point for your own guys when they are due up. But, STL doesn't have any rfa dman that are projected to be needing new deals during Broberg's contract. Either he shows he's worth it and gets another contract, or he's not and STL walks away and he's not on the books any longer.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Fan man i thought you’d moved past this

Random question: why would the Oilers keep Halloway instead of Broberg if they have the choice to keep one after the offer sheet? If it's me I'd keep Broberg for sure. Or am I just talking out of my ass?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Doubly funny that the guy he wanted to draft and the guy he ended up drafting are probably both in the 20s or lower in a re-draft at this point...but overall, that draft is pretty disappointing so far.

Random question: why would the Oilers keep Halloway instead of Broberg if they have the choice to keep one after the offer sheet? If it's me I'd keep Broberg for sure. Or am I just talking out of my ass?
Holloway is more worth ~2M than Broberg is worth ~4.5M, and at 4.5M it becomes really hard for them to maneuver the cap. Holloway seems to have quite a nice bit of speed to him too and I think he can probably be a decent McDavid/Draisaitl winger down the line.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Doubly funny that the guy he wanted to draft and the guy he ended up drafting are probably both in the 20s or lower in a re-draft at this point...but overall, that draft is pretty disappointing so far.

Holloway is more worth ~2M than Broberg is worth ~4.5M, and at 4.5M it becomes really hard for them to maneuver the cap.

Oh so the offer for Broberg is 4.5m? Now I understand.

Damn, that's...not good. Broberg was starting to show some promise for them.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya in hindsight there wasn't much of a chance to get out of the draft in a good position. Say Benning wanted Broberg, Zegras was the BPA, and Pods was the last guy on the list that the Canucks had in a higher tier. We weren't coming out of the draft with Brody or Caufield if Oilers and or Ducks made different choices. I think at this time Broberg might be the preferred pick on here out of Broberg, Zegras, and Pods (would be close between Broberg and Zegras?)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Teams don't expect OS. But, with the rising cap, and the top guys getting paid 8 figures, those are no longer the OS targets. It's the 2nd round compensation range that becomes the most interesting. Just decent production on the ELC would typically mean $2 mill give or take on a bridge, but if you come in just at the max for a 2nd round comp, which is currently mid $4's and going to move closer to $5 mill in the future, that becomes that target point to OS a player if you have the cap room while the other club is tight to the cap. Not as concerned about pick 33 and later and most likely to be in the 40's.

I was laughed out of the room for proposing an offer sheet to Lafreniere last year, a 7 year deal in the $6.4M range. The compensation would have been a 1st and 3rd, neither of which the Canucks had at the time.

He looks like he's really going to break out this coming year.

It's all about projecting a player and overpaying him early, but the savings come later in the contract.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya in hindsight there wasn't much of a chance to get out of the draft in a good position. Say Benning wanted Broberg, Zegras was the BPA, and Pods was the last guy on the list that the Canucks had in a higher tier. We weren't coming out of the draft with Brody or Caufield if Oilers and or Ducks made different choices. I think at this time Broberg might be the preferred pick on here out of Broberg, Zegras, and Pods (would be close between Broberg and Zegras?)

Once Zegras was gone most people here wanted Boldy or Caufield. I certainly wanted Caufield.

Reactions: F A N

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The Blues definitely used it as a strategy, especially in the early 90s.

Funny thing with the Petr Nedved offer sheet, it eventually played a big part of the 94 run. The Canucks wanted Brendan Shanahan, but was awarded Craig Janney and a 2nd. Janney refused to report so he was traded back for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.

I wonder who the Canucks took with that 2nd?
The Blues really shit the bed back then and lost FIVE 1st round picks +. (lol, but not really)

That the team was still able to make the playoffs each season is unbelievable, but, then again, this was the pre-cap era and the Blues wildly spent.

Funny that the last Blues OS signed was to Bernier, which was, imo, Larry Pleau being a pissy bitch. We matched Backes' signed OS from Vancouver, but then tried to pry Bernier from you, which Vancouver matched.

Those were some fun years. Two pretty darned good teams back in 93-94. Linden, Bure, Courtnall and Lumme. Hull, Shanahan, Janney and Brown. That's a studly top-3 forwards and top D.

Oh....and f*** Edmonton.

Peace out y'all!!!

I was laughed out of the room for proposing an offer sheet to Lafreniere last year, a 7 year deal in the $6.4M range. The compensation would have been a 1st and 3rd, neither of which the Canucks had at the time.

He looks like he's really going to break out this coming year.

It's all about projecting a player and overpaying him early, but the savings come later in the contract.
Yes! Laffy's got fire.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well i had Boldy and Pod pretty even so i was happy to get the more greasy of the 2 that was in most circles rated higher. It's 20/20 hindsight to say we should have taken Boldy given moving away from consensus gifted us Juolevi vs Tkachuk.

Verbalized by Allvin at the Lekkerimaki draft where he was more inclined to take JL over Ohgren who has a lot of similarities to Podkolzin was the desire to not surrender talent for being more rounded and physically advanced. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

Brackett was bullish on Podkolzin so it's not just the usual Jim Benning is a moron narrative but here we go

The Broberg offer sheet is simultaneously terrible for both St. Louis and Edmonton.

$4.2 million for a fringe NHLer … but a fringe NHLer that Edmonton badly needed on a cheap contract for next year.
You really think he's a fringe NHLer after last year?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You really think he's a fringe NHLer after last year?

He spent almost the entire year in the AHL, was poor in his regular season NHL games, and then had a few good 3rd pairing games late in the playoffs.

For his career he’s played 81 games at 12 minutes/game with zero offence and lousy metrics. He’s a borderline 6-7 guy at best until he shows something a lot more than he has to this point.

Reactions: timw33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad