Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Now I'm worried, this might eventually force the Oilers to trade Draisaitl for a haul and build a real team around McDavid.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That's a risky gamble because it basically means they're screwed unless Kane stays on LTIR all season. Which could happen, sure but then they have space come the trade deadline when this may be the last season they can truly go "all in."

It's a damn beautiful offer sheet, and I love Oiler fans thinking they can just punt Ceci out for free to fix it.

I assume this is to make them momentarily cap compliant to match both, take some pressure off, and then they’d still have to move Ceci or Kulak.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Offer sheets are awesome. I wished they'd happen more often. Furthermore, it's hilarious it impacts the Oilers.
Not a fan at all but given its the Oilers and their off season where they already lost 2 fast young players in Foegele and McLoed wholy hell is this entertaining.

Foegele Mcloed Holloway Broberg for Arvidsson Skinner Henrique Gleason

More heavy lifting for McDrai sounds great :popcorn:

Glass is an interesting move. Would have liked him before last year but after finally looking like he could keep up he hurts his knee and is was back to being too slow to make any discernible impact. At 2.5 that's not good especially if he's on the wing.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
We're at D+7 or D+8 and he's a bust. He might be able to pull out a career as a 3C but even that isn't a sure thing. Previous value is totally null at this point in his career

I was not at all high on Glass, but I didn’t have him as a bust. Hopefully he’s able to get something going.

So Dubas has added Hayes and Glass as cap dumps to gain an extra 2nd and 3rd. Sid's final year (or more) not going to end with much winning.

Who’s does? Not a whole lot.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Not a fan at all but given its the Oilers and their off season where they already lost 2 fast young players in Foegele and McLoed wholy hell is this entertaining.

Foegele Mcloed Holloway Broberg for Arvidsson Skinner Henrique Gleason

More heavy lifting for McDrai sounds great :popcorn:

Glass is an interesting move. Would have liked him before last year but after finally looking like he could keep up he hurts his knee and is was back to being too slow to make any discernible impact. At 2.5 that's not good especially if he's on the wing.

Their speed really took a giant hit, also any injury to Ekholm and their blue line is f***ed.

Reactions: sting101

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
It’s hilarious to see some of the oilers fans who said shit like “cap doesn’t matter” (we’ve been down that road before as well) going quiet all of a sudden.

Unfortunately for them, reality and cap space doesn’t care about their opinions.

Here’s to another decade of Oilers misery.

Last edited:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Immediate reaction to this is that dumping Ceci shouldn't be too difficult.
yeah it's pretty naive of them to think these guys wouldn't be offer sheet targets, but knuckle dragging through the off-season, haggling over what i can only assume is 1-2M total cap hit between the two players' demands...only to lose picks in a ceci trade is pretty hilarious. part of this is probably due to the transition period between jeff jackson and stan bowman, but it falls on both of them for inaction.

with that said i think a 2nd round pick for broberg is probably good value, and the likely scenario.

Reactions: Vector

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Also for Army, EDM isn't in a position to strike back, like STL/VAn with Backes/Bernier. Or Mon/Car with Aho/KK. Edm needs every single dollar with McDrai if they can extend them. Can't be playing revenge games with OS. Plus, he's gone when these 2 guys need a new contract.

Man, when I heard Blues and offer sheet, I had flashback to the Backes and Bernier thing. That was an interesting time.

I don't get why Holloway signed his. I wouldn't think they were too far off in money, the Oilers would gladly match. Broberg for sure they will walk away from.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Man, when I heard Blues and offer sheet, I had flashback to the Backes and Bernier thing. That was an interesting time.

I don't get why Holloway signed his. I wouldn't think they were too far off in money, the Oilers would gladly match. Broberg for sure they will walk away from.
Who knows . Holloway has no arbitration rights. Anaheim historically grinded their elc guys who didn’t warrant a long term deal be it Ryan, Terry, etc. to get that 3rd year. maybe Edm was trying to do the same with Holloway. This allows him 2 years to develop his game and come back for a new deal. Just never know with contracts. Edm was right to the cap anyways so we’re likely needing to get deals on their rfas. But even as an rfa i would tell Edm to shove it back to wherever they stashed Campbell, Neal, etc. not taking less caused you messed up in other players.

Reactions: Bubbles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s hilarious to see some of the oilers fans who said shit like “cap doesn’t matter” (we’ve been down that road before as well) going quiet all of a sudden.

Unfortunately for them, reality and cap space doesn’t care about their opinions.

Here’s to another decade of Oilers misery.
The teams that can't manage the salary cap, are the first ones to claim 'that it doesn't matter'. For years in Vancouver, Benning handed out UFA contracts like Halloween candy.....and for most of the last decade the team had an unenviable reputation. As a team spending to the salary cap max every year, they produced the worst on-ice results for the highest payroll.

Hardly a recipe for success in any business. And it really only takes two or three really bad contracts for the #$#@ to hit the fan. So the Oilers were left vulnerable, and now the Blues have pounced. You have to hand it to Doug Armstrong. I wonder if he has some sort of negative history with Stan Bowman, and couldn't wait for the opportunity to screw him over?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone know if Matt Knies is here in Vancouver right now to train?

Eta: ok not training, doing a promo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad