Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
1722962018729.png

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Plus remember all those picks he traded?

Seriously, it was a lot of picks. He probably didn't have to trade some of those picks, but he traded them anyway.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Dube and McLeod apparently sign to play in the KHL. They are 2 of the 5 charged with sexual assault.

Seems their decision making remains questionable. Making money in a league run by a country invading another country.

It’s the only country that will take them and they don’t really have any skills. Given the public nature of their case, they’d have a hard time getting a job anywhere in Canada too. It should be noted that while they are signing in the KHL neither are signing with Russian teams.

Reactions: gsharpe

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It’s the only country that will take them and they don’t really have any skills. Given the public nature of their case, they’d have a hard time getting a job anywhere in Canada too. It should be noted that while they are signing in the KHL neither are signing with Russian teams.
Dube signed with a team in Belarus who fully support Russia whose dictator is basically a Putin puppet.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Dube and McLeod apparently sign to play in the KHL. They are 2 of the 5 charged with sexual assault.

Seems their decision making remains questionable.
Making money in a league run by a country invading another country.

The are going to have to mount expensive legal defences and have absolutely no other way of paying for it. Settling a case with a plea isn't that expensive and you're mostly paying intermittently for a lawyer's advice and knowledge of how and when to make filings and requests. Trials cost a fortune, you're paying for research, preparing witnesses, developing strategy, and often more than one lawyer at trial. And if the money runs out the lawyers simply shake your hand and leave, running out isn't really an option. These guys would be shooting themselves in the foot to turn down any earning opportunity whatsoever at this point.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The are going to have to mount expensive legal defences and have absolutely no other way of paying for it. Settling a case with a plea isn't that expensive and you're mostly paying intermittently for a lawyer's advice and knowledge of how and when to make filings and requests. Trials cost a fortune, you're paying for research, preparing witnesses, developing strategy, and often more than one lawyer at trial. And if the money runs out the lawyers simply shake your hand and leave, running out isn't really an option. These guys would be shooting themselves in the foot to turn down any earning opportunity whatsoever at this point.

Those two are well into 7 figure career earnings...really having a hard time feeling sympathy here and for the choices being made. I'll be forthright, ANY player signing to play in that league has very questionable judgement.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Those two are well into 7 figure career earnings...really having a hard time feeling sympathy here and for the choices being made. I'll be forthright, ANY player signing to play in that league has very questionable judgement.
It all really comes down to whether they are guilty or not. Because if they are not guilty, and haven't done some otherwise morally reprehensible thing, then I am not sure why anyone would be critical of them for finding work wherever work was available, and as @bandwagonesque , they are absolutely going to need to make money for their defense trials. They undoubtedly have spent a fair bit of their after tax earnings already and obviously need to save for a long retirement.

I also think its a bit hypocritical for some (not necessarily you) to be overly critical of the KHL teams signing these guys when their NHL teams probably knew about these allegations way before they were formally charged, and nevertheless, had no issue continuing to play and pay them. NHL teams, by and large, don't really care about anything other than making money and the performance of their team, and its only when public perception might hurt either of those that they do anything about it. The exception is a team like Ottawa that punted Formenton as soon as they found out about the allegations rather than waiting (years?) for the Crown to formally charge the players.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It all really comes down to whether they are guilty or not. Because if they are not guilty, and haven't done some otherwise morally reprehensible thing, then I am not sure why anyone would be critical of them for finding work wherever work was available, and as @bandwagonesque , they are absolutely going to need to make money for their defense trials. They undoubtedly have spent a fair bit of their after tax earnings already and obviously need to save for a long retirement.
Playing in what is a Russia/Putin controlled league is also morally questionable in and of itself....IMO.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Playing in what is a Russia/Putin controlled league is also morally questionable in and of itself....IMO.
Ignoring all context, sure. But if you have been blackballed from all other leagues as a result of an alleged crime that you didn't actually commit, then I am not so sure it is.

Reactions: sting101

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The exception is a team like Ottawa that punted Formenton as soon as they found out about the allegations rather than waiting (years?) for the Crown to formally charge the players.

ottawa were able to do that because formenton was an rfa when they learned of his involvement

i dunno if any of the others were resigned after their involvement became known but teams should be criticized if that was the case

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the Hockey Writers website has weighed in with its list of the 10 worst contracts in the NHL. The good news for the Canucks, is that Myers no longer commands a place in the top 10 after a long run.

The 'bad news' is that his place has been taken by Filip Hronek at #7. The writers think his 2023-24 season was a 'one-of' and he won't come close to justifying that $7.25m contract. They also speculated that if he ever moves off the pairing with Hughes, his production will plummet.

Oh well, I guess that's why they play the games.

Reactions: Chiripa20

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I am not suggesting anyone feel sympathy for them, I am pointing out they are making a clearly rational judgment by continuing to earn money.

It's also been reported that on their flight to Russia, the accused rapists reclined their seats all the way back

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ignoring all context, sure. But if you have been blackballed from all other leagues as a result of an alleged crime that you didn't actually commit, then I am not so sure it is.
ya it is

but I'll let it go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad