Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I had no idea that's why you were chastising the Yzerplan. Odd.

I'm not sure your point holds regardless because Yzerman definitely did not do everything right in a tank: He didn't secure a 1C or a 1G. Even a lower end tandem of Horvat + Larkin could have saved him.

Tanking is no guarantee. It never was.

What's interesting to me is that you can see Yzerman close off DET's ceiling by placing middling bets. VAN has done something similar by allocating their cap toward DeBrusk instead of an elite talent like Guentzel (or potentially growing a talent like Guentzel). The ideal has been forgone for the reality of a quick retool. Now we see if that lowered ceiling can be propped up by the depth to win it all.

I think signing DeBrusk for 5.5 x 7 when they missed out on Guentzel for 9 x 7 is actually a pretty tidy bit of business.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
when you pay agent like 8% or something like that, I am guessing it doesn’t cover just getting you the contract and some other endorsement deals. modern sports agents services probably includes tax, financial management stuff and other services.
I agree. These people are paid handsomely to make sure all your financial gains are protected. Someone, or several people really dropped the ball for Tavares.

At least we can all rest easy knowing that financial windfall for the government will be well spent by the giant brains of our ever expanding bureaucracy and elected officials! We're in good hands

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Also you're telling me that investing heavily in American and Swedish players like we have gives us an advantage on other Canadian teams investing in Canadian players? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: fedlibs and God

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Bingo.

People kept going on about the 'failed core' when it hadn't failed at all and the reason the team had failed was bad coaching, bad management and lack of direction, and bad depth and supporting cast. And rather than trying to do fairly easy things to fix what was happening around our outstanding core players, people wanted to blow it up for a 50% chance that 6-7 years from now we might have core players that good again, with the same issues building a team around them.
It's funny the team just realigned itself with borderline competence at all levels and the core then wins it's division and makes the second round. "Here is a supporting cast that isn't overpaid and doesn't suck."

I can't even tell you if this management has any exceptional X-factor, aside from being well disciplined and proactive?

Reactions: Vector

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You're out of touch.

Signing Compher, Copp, Chiarot, or Holl (and I'm probably missing a few) is not the same as Jake Debrusk. And anyone that compares the two has made a mistake in their player analysis.

Not saying Debrusk is a world beater but when you factor in their contracts with age & upside, almost EVERYONE immediately predicted that the aforementioned group of Wings players were terrible signings.

Oh I like DeBrusk more than most of their signings, but I also recognize that he's a 2nd liner at present. Meaning, he's not the elite talent this team really needed in their short, Miller-based window right now.

When you retool on the fly, you need significant luck to acquire or grow your elite pieces. The Canucks missed out on that piece at wing (barring a great transition by Lekk to NA play). That affects their ultimate ceiling.

I think signing DeBrusk for 5.5 x 7 when they missed out on Guentzel for 9 x 7 is actually a pretty tidy bit of business.

Someone has been watching/listening to Sekeres and Price? :)

I think the DeBrusk signing was a very strong fallback. They did well to pivot. But he's no Guentzel. Elite talent is just that difficult to acquire.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't practice tax law but I did take income tax law in law school, and I recall that the test for residency isn't one of days per year or anything, but a wholistic test based on all the relevant factors. The fact that he's born and raised in Toronto, and plays in Toronto from October to May (with games on the road) is probably why the CRA is taking the position that he is a Canadian resident for tac purposes. I also assume he has a nice cottage in Ontario that he spends at least some time at during the summer.

Ya the # of days in the country isn't the end all be all but helps establish your tax residency. The reports suggest that the legal argument seems to come down to whether the signing bonus was an "inducement" to sign. I think the issue is how signing bonuses are taxed in Canada (it's the equivalent of salary). Reasonably speaking, an American with zero connections to Canada who gets a signing bonus on July 1st from a Canadian employer will be taxed by the IRS and the treaty provisions would apply and CRA taxes the signing bonus at 15%. I think that's clearly the spirt of the rule - that the signing bonus was an "inducement" to come to Canada. What if it applies to a Canadian who previously went to work in the States? The perception changes?

In terms of whether the signing bonus was an "inducement," I think the CRA has the better legal argument here. In the context of the NHL, the entirety of the signing bonus is counted as part of the salary cap. The signing bonus also isn't a one time thing but continues throughout the term of the contract. If Tavares decided not to report to camp/the team for non-medical reasons he would be suspended without pay. He certainly will not get the signing bonuses due to him in future years if he remains suspended. He would also very likely have to pay back the signing bonus he received.

In terms of the residency argument, it could be factual. If Tavares stayed in the United States and didn't return to Canada until beginning of camp, he clearly would have spent most of the year in the United States. If that was the case, there should be no argument that Tavares was a resident of the United States for tax purposes in 2018.

If we are to take a holistic approach to this, the signing bonus wasn't an inducement for Tavares to come play in Canada as he would only get the tax benefits in 2018 anyways. What the signing bonus is is that it is guaranteed money that Tavares gets from year to year as part of his renumeration.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
I agree but I think he's been passed on in the depth chart by guys like PDG, Aman..

As it stands, I'd rate him over PDG and only give Aman an edge because he can play center.

I think his basement now is as a replacement level 4th liner, much like the other two.

But if he can meet or surpass his rookie season numbers, he could be a valuable middle 6 guy.

It would be nice if we had Boldy or Caulfield, but them's the breaks.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I agree but I think he's been passed on in the depth chart by guys like PDG, Aman..
Ya and I'll be honest I think "serviceable" is a generous description right now. His stint at the end of the year was a big disappointment IMO. I'm just not seeing improvement in his NHL game. And really his AHL numbers aren't particularly good either. At this time his ability to contribute offensively in any role at the NHL level can be questioned. Cross fingers of course but if he has a uninspired camp it's getting close to the point where management is not going to be too concerned about losing him on waivers.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Hiring someone who turned a blind-eye to sexual assault of his employees (and enabled the perpetrator to continue harming others) because he is perceived to be good at hockey ops is weird.

I hope the league, Edmonton fans, and hockey fans in general give this move the Mitchell Miller/Logan Mailloux/Bill Peters/Mike Babcock treatment.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hiring someone who turned a blind-eye to sexual assault of his employees (and enabled the perpetrator to continue harming others) because he is perceived to be good at hockey ops is weird.

I hope the league, Edmonton fans, and hockey fans in general give this move the Mitchell Miller/Logan Mailloux/Bill Peters/Mike Babcock treatment.

I hope the Canadian media - not the bullshit hockey insiders who won’t say a peep that makes the league uncomfortable - goes to town on this.

Morally bankrupt decision by a morally bankrupt organization.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I mentioned before that based on the info Kennedy provided that Bowman didn't just do lip service work on why what he did was wrong etc. It seems very different to the road taken by the others. That said, I'm not sure you hire him into any position of power right out of the gate. An AGM job sure but GM and EVP not a chance. I guess we will see if the work he did sticks in short order.

Reactions: BimJenning

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
20 mins to till the conference

I really want to see this bullshit unfold. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s quarter to half a million people tuning in soon.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They did the thing....

It's all about the bottom line for EDM. Tanking for 1st overalls, Kane, Perry, Bowman etc... nothing matters to them but the cup.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They did the thing....

It's all about the bottom line for EDM. Tanking for 1st overalls, Kane, Perry, Bowman etc... nothing matters to them but the cup.
Well if they actually cared about the cup they wouldn't have acquired the guy in bold....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad