Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
That would be a Jack Campbell-to-Edmonton level bad acquisition for Toronto.

Toronto should look to sign Markstrom if they’re serious about contending with their current core.
I do think Binnington has regained some form but I wasn't impressed by him in the WC. Most signs to me point to a guy who got hot at the right time for the right team. Like he got back to.912 or so but that isn't team Canada starter level. Also psychologically he's now proven he's easily out off his game.

Like Binningtons tracking was otherworldly that playoffs, it reminded me of Marky for that season+ which was of course wasted on us. But unlike Marky I haven't seen him get that back.

Reminder, Gregory Campbell is an AGM for the Panthers.
OH for f***s sakes. Sigh. Alright makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I don't like Binnington whatsoever but his numbers were good this season. Returned to pre-COVID form.

Uh what? His GAA was 30th in the league, and his S% was 16th. He's been terrible to middling in the years before last.

Like others have said, he had his cinderella run and has been average at best. Happens to a lot of goalies that haven't been scouted heavily. Once there's a book on a "unknown" goalie, they get found out and unless they adjust, they fade away. Might happen to Silovs too.

The lack of quality goaltenders in Canada has been a problem for several years and it just seems to be getting worse. If Binnington is the best we have, my god we're not getting anywhere in international play.

Reactions: mossey3535

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I refuse to believe Binnington is among the top Canadian goalies. I understand that there is a dearth of talent at that position, but my brain won't accept it.

On another note, I hope those rumours of Binner to Toronto end up being true. That douche would fit that city so well.
As someone who grew up in Vancouver and now lives in Toronto, the inferiority complex is a bad look. Both fantastic cities.

And f*** the leafs.

Reactions: vancityluongo

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Uh what? His GAA was 30th in the league, and his S% was 16th. He's been terrible to middling in the years before last.

Like others have said, he had his cinderella run and has been average at best. Happens to a lot of goalies that haven't been scouted heavily. Once there's a book on a "unknown" goalie, they get found out and unless they adjust, they fade away. Might happen to Silovs too.

The lack of quality goaltenders in Canada has been a problem for several years and it just seems to be getting worse. If Binnington is the best we have, my god we're not getting anywhere in international play.
Yeah I have some thoughts on that which I'll post. Short story is that Silovs needs another majority AHL season and shouldn't be given the outright backup job next season (he should still be given NHL games, around 10-15 ideally).

The Oilers (finally) caught on to some of his issues and they're not the kind that are easily worked on at the NHL level. Part of that is the prescouting like you said but that doesn't tend to happen as much when the guy is not the starter. But I'd like to see him put up a dominant AHL season for reasons that I'll detail in his thread.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver

Amongst starters, he was 4th in goals saved above expected behind Hellebuyck Demko Swayman, 6th for save percentage above expected, tied 9th for even strength save percentage, and GAA is not a metric you should be using to judge a goalie on a bad team. He was very good this year.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wow rangers point guys just making the dumbest possible passes to each other while the Florida PKers just slowly creep closer and closer.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah I have some thoughts on that which I'll post. Short story is that Silovs needs another majority AHL season and shouldn't be given the outright backup job next season (he should still be given NHL games, around 10-15 ideally).

The Oilers (finally) caught on to some of his issues and they're not the kind that are easily worked on at the NHL level. Part of that is the prescouting like you said but that doesn't tend to happen as much when the guy is not the starter. But I'd like to see him put up a dominant AHL season for reasons that I'll detail in his thread.
Ideally we get a cheap backup that plays on the road and then call up Silovs when we need a game from a backup at home.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

I don't quite agree with you on the AHL thing, I think he's ready for backup duty. I believe his contract is up? So that figures into the whole thing.

The two major "holes" I see is his five hole when moving side to side (often on breakaways) and he has trouble looking around traffic. There were several times when the Oilers shot exactly opposite the side when he turned his head. The first one is easy to fix, but the second one is harder.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Rangers are a wagon. Goodrow is made for the playoffs. Need players like that.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Laff with a goal of the playoffs. Man alive what a gamebreaker he has turned out to be. Too bad can't buy low on him anymore. What a series!

I can't beleive Trouba got away without a major shortly afterwards. This league man
Don’t think Laff was ever available. Teams don’t give up on the 1st OA.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
As someone who grew up in Vancouver and now lives in Toronto, the inferiority complex is a bad look. Both fantastic cities.

And f*** the leafs.
That was poor wording, I was more referencing Leaf fans, I don't really have any particular issue with Torontonians/Toronto specifically.

I just think Binner is a douche, and Toronto acquiring him and going down in flames with him at the helm would be hilarious

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Refs a f***ing joke. Trouba should be given 5 and a game.

Total BS.

League clearly wants the Rangers in the SCF.

bieksa off the deep end, suggesting winning the Messier shit award means Trouba had no intent

like, wtf Kev?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad