Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a shame we were not even close to being a player in terms of competitiveness, cap, extra assets when Ekholm came on the market. He went cheap cheap cheap.
Pretty much comparable to the OEL assets given up. 2022 former first rounder and 2023 first rounder. Dumped Barrie to even out assets. Main benefit is the contract and term left. Not 6 years and $7mill. More reasonable cap number.

I've never heard of a pick-swap that wasn't at the draft.

So, they move up 2 spots in rd 1 (20 to 18) and 4 spots in rd 2 (54 to 50) and it costs them #61 in return. Kind of early to be swapping picks since you have no clue what's on the board.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What a weird deal for Chicago.

They basically give away a 2nd round pick for a 2-spot move in the 1st round and a 4-spot move in the 2nd ... without even knowing who will be on the board.
Must have someone in mind this early to try to move up.

but who knows if the player they are targeting will be there.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
What a weird deal by Chicago, makes no sense from the outside looking in. If you're going to pay a premium to move up, it's usually once you know what's available, or it's to get into the top 10 where there's a lot more certainty on what's available.

Even then, historically, this isn't like the NFL draft where high end picks have a lot more (relative) certainty, we're talking about 17-18 year olds where projections are hazy at best. Good move from the Islanders, regardless of the outcome on the picks.

Speaking of picks, I swear Jim Nill has to be the best drafter on record. Oversees Detroit's insane program from 1994-2013 with very little ammunition, comes to Dallas, then puts together some absurd draft classes to transform Dallas into a young enough contender to drag 18 million dollars wasted on Benn + Seguin into contention.

His guidelines to his scouting staff look to be very much boom/bust, but that mentality has allowed them to gobble up impact players at an astounding rate given where they pick every year.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Just going back to the well, I see.
Seems as if the Jets liked his coaching when Bowness was away taking care of his wife and his own health this past year. He's been around for a long time but hasn't been an NHL coach since he was HC of Columbus a decade ago.

I still don't understand how David Quinn doesn't have a job. He was the coach of the Rangers when Fox won the Norris and San Jose when Karlsson won the Norris. He's had some pretty poor rosters and got quite a bit out of players but always fired before they can get good.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
In Chicago’s defence, if previous drafts are any indication it’s quite difficult to move up during the draft since all GMs want to get “their guy” and don’t want to risk a move down.

The must’ve identified a player they really liked at 20 and wanted to improve their odds?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Teams always make dumb trades. It’s up to your GM to be active, ready, and maintain flexibility to be able to take advantage of that stupidity.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
wasn't he awful for our farm team?

No, he did a really, really nice job with the Moose when they were our AHL affiliate and took them to the Calder Cup Finals one year. He was considered one of the best up and coming coaches in hockey at that time, but we had Alain Vigneault behind the bench and the Canucks were one of the best teams in the league.

So Arniel went to Columbus and....it went terribly. He lasted a year and a half as head coach before he got fired. He had a cup of coffee back in the AHL, and has been an NHL Associate/Assistant ever since.

He's got a lot of history in Winnipeg as an NHL assistant / AHL head coach, so I kind of get it. But he hasn't run a bench in over a decade. Interesting choice.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
That Verhaege crosscheck to Lafreniere’s face after the goal could get looked at by the league—if they follow their own precedent.

Seems to be an “after the hockey play” contact. That sort of hit got Soucy a suspension in the VAN/EDM series.

Reactions: Red

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
That Verhaege crosscheck to Lafreniere’s face after the goal could get looked at by the league—if they follow their own precedent.

Seems to be an “after the hockey play” contact. That sort of hit got Soucy a suspension in the VAN/EDM series.
The Kulikov hit on Wennberg definitely only two minutes. Rangers fans will be complaining about that for a month.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
No, he did a really, really nice job with the Moose when they were our AHL affiliate and took them to the Calder Cup Finals one year. He was considered one of the best up and coming coaches in hockey at that time, but we had Alain Vigneault behind the bench and the Canucks were one of the best teams in the league.

So Arniel went to Columbus and....it went terribly. He lasted a year and a half as head coach before he got fired. He had a cup of coffee back in the AHL, and has been an NHL Associate/Assistant ever since.

He's got a lot of history in Winnipeg as an NHL assistant / AHL head coach, so I kind of get it. But he hasn't run a bench in over a decade. Interesting choice.

Who knows Bruce Cassidy had a 12 year gap between NHL gigs. Was considered a pretty mediocre/bad coach with poor Washington team but has found major success the last 8 or so years.

Reactions: BimJenning

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I didn't realize a member of the Benning family was playing in the ECF for Florida — Matt's kid brother

deadinthewater992

May 7, 2024
Outside of the first ten minutes, Rangers didn't look great. Z and Kreider pretty much non-existent. I am curious to see how they play in FLA.

Reactions: mathonwy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad