Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
After losing the 2011 Finals, Gillis signs Marco Sturm as a free agent for f*** who knows.
After the 2011 finals, Canucks were unofficially blackballed by the league and Gillis couldn’t trade his way out of a paper bag.

David Booth was the best he could do.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Man this is so hard right now.

I don't want the Rangers or Oilers to win the cup for obvious reasons.

I don't want Tkachuk or Forsling to win a cup because they should be doing that with the canucks (thanks Jim!)

I guess I'm OK with the Stars winning. It would be great for Tanev and they have some great young players that are fun to watch. That likely balances out Seguin and Benn.

The game last night was not a good watch IMO.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That one? Hello I think there is probably more than one that got away...
End of the day, Forsling took 4 years in North American before finally being a NHL regular for the Panthers. I am still of the belief that the canucks development system from 2016-2020 would have ruined him. Would not be what he is today had he come up through Utica.

Reactions: mathonwy

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Geesh Dylan Guenther POG today for Canada. Guy is a star and fixture for Canada going forward

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
End of the day, Forsling took 4 years in North American before finally being a NHL regular for the Panthers. I am still of the belief that the canucks development system from 2016-2020 would have ruined him. Would not be what he is today had he come up through Utica.
That's still a "thanks Jim" though. He was starting to receive regular NHL time in his D+3 season as a 7/8 D-man. His development overall wasn't slow or unusual.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That's still a "thanks Jim" though. He was starting to receive regular NHL time in his D+3 season as a 7/8 D-man. His development overall wasn't slow or unusual.

Right on. Player ____ flourishes outside of Vancouver and we get the same usual statements from posters here:
"The organization was a mess."
"He wouldn't have developed in our AHL system."
"He would have taken a long time to develop."
"He had more opportunities in ____."

It all circles back to the dumbass GM.

Reactions: quat and BimJenning

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

No doubt to me that if we kept him he would not be the player he is today. Having said that, its still on Benning for not putting a better development plan in place... for any of our prospects.

Development is just as if not more important than who you draft. Who knows how some of our guys turn out without better development... look at Chatfield too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No doubt to me that if we kept him he would not be the player he is today. Having said that, its still on Benning for not putting a better development plan in place... for any of our prospects.

Development is just as if not more important than who you draft. Who knows how some of our guys turn out without better development... look at Chatfield too.
No doubt the development system in place from 2014-2021 was crap. I'm sure that there were other prospects that could have made it had they started with another organization.

Reactions: racerjoe

fergo

Are we stopped?
Dec 19, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
After losing the 2011 Finals, Gillis signs Marco Sturm as a free agent for f*** who knows.
Perhaps Jim Benning somehow knew he'd be the Canucks GM one day soon, so he managed to possess Mike Gillis' mind momentarily to sign a player who (a) was past his best-before date and (b) was a former Bruin. Gillis came to his senses long enough to trade Sturm away fairly quickly after that. At least he didn't sign him for multiple years like Benning would with too many players when he finally did get the GM role in Vancouver.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think the forsling thing is pretty speculative.

but there is no doubt in my mind that green screwed with chatfield. that toronto game where he was -4 was one of the ugliest things i have seen a coach do.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hated that signing so much and was the first thing that Mike Gillis did that I just didn't understand at all.

It's probably the single strangest thing that happened in the entire Gillis era, both in terms of the unusually terrible pro scouting and the bizarrely huge AAV he got from the normally brilliant Gilman.

$2.25 million in 2011 is like a $4 million contract now for a 33 y/o player with major knee problems who scored 5 goals in 35 games the previous year.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's probably the single strangest thing that happened in the entire Gillis era, both in terms of the unusually terrible pro scouting and the bizarrely huge AAV he got from the normally brilliant Gilman.

$2.25 million in 2011 is like a $4 million contract now for a 33 y/o player with major knee problems who scored 5 goals in 35 games the previous year.

And was waived the previous season. I believe Sturm was one of Gillis’ former clients.

Reactions: BimJenning and MS

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Man this is so hard right now.

I don't want the Rangers or Oilers to win the cup for obvious reasons.

I don't want Tkachuk or Forsling to win a cup because they should be doing that with the canucks (thanks Jim!)

I guess I'm OK with the Stars winning. It would be great for Tanev and they have some great young players that are fun to watch. That likely balances out Seguin and Benn.

The game last night was not a good watch IMO.

Cheer for Tanev so he can bring that cup experience back home where he belongs.

That's my logic. :D

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although he might not qualify as an 'ex-Canuck' in the minds of some fans, OEL has certainly landed on his feet in Florida.

He's been a solid No. 4-5 d-man for the Panthers and is also getting some PP time. Just didn't work out for him in Vancouver, but he has a legit shot at a Cup this season.

Good on him. He toiled for years as the backbone of that lackluster Coyotes franchise, and not really his fault that Jethro acquired him based on what he'd done as a 25 year old, before all the injuries.

He seemed like a class act in Vancouver....and you have to feel good or him.

Reactions: HelloCookie

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Although he might not qualify as an 'ex-Canuck' in the minds of some fans, OEL has certainly landed on his feet in Florida.

He's been a solid No. 4-5 d-man for the Panthers and is also getting some PP time. Just didn't work out for him in Vancouver, but he has a legit shot at a Cup this season.

Good on him. He toiled for years as the backbone of that lackluster Coyotes franchise, and not really his fault that Jethro acquired him based on what he'd done as a 25 year old, before all the injuries.

Well, OEL did hold a full NMC, so he didn't have to waive to Van if he didn't want to come here given the expectations for a $7 mill contract a year Dman. For whatever reason(s), he was ok coming here.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
One of the things that still puts me off following this sport, that I can't believe we're still dealing with 13 years later following very similar rhetoric about the Sedins, is how much fan culture and commentary on players ultimately boils down to this weird machismo bullying. Yeah, I get it, they're rich hockey players, and I'm fine with criticizing them as much as anyone else, but it just reminds me of things I left behind as an adult when people talk about Pettersson "playing with an injured p***y," or calling Hughes a midget, or whatever. Are we really doing "Sedin Sister" tier shit in current year? Mentally stunted to a 5th grade level.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Good for him. I’ve tried to remember that it’s not the player’s fault if Benning overpaid or overvalued a player, or that our coaching staff has been complete shite. Havn’t been perfect at times with players like Miller and Myers but I try to look past my biases. If players worked hard here, weren’t douchebags, and didn’t collect a pay check I will root for them. I actually really liked Ryan Miller even though Benning bid against himself with that contract. Good pro and stuck up for teammates more than anyone Benning brought in to do that. Dorsett as well. With OEL he was solid the first year, but struggled after missing summer training from a broken foot.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Perhaps Jim Benning somehow knew he'd be the Canucks GM one day soon, so he managed to possess Mike Gillis' mind momentarily to sign a player who (a) was past his best-before date and (b) was a former Bruin. Gillis came to his senses long enough to trade Sturm away fairly quickly after that. At least he didn't sign him for multiple years like Benning would with too many players when he finally did get the GM role in Vancouver.

He was swapped for Davis Booth, guy was and still is an asshole who’s just a f***ing nut job.

f*** David Booth, straight up bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad