Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
NHL desperately wants NYR in the finals. FLA in the finals last year with LV, the ratings were disappointing. Doubt it changes this year if they return to the finals.

Ideal matchup for NHL is:
NYR/Dal
NYR/Edm
Dal/Fla
Fla/Edm
Oh I'm sure NHL would love NY against Dallas. All the league cares about is revenue sadly. Bettman makes the owners money hence still has the job even though loathed by most fans.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh I'm sure NHL would love NY against Dallas. All the league cares about is revenue sadly. Bettman makes the owners money hence still has the job even though loathed by most fans.
NBA is down to Bos vs Indiana and Dallas vs Minnesota. They were definitely bummed when the Knicks fell in game 7.

Obviously, NBA is hoping for Bos/Dal, then Bos/Min, Dal/Ind, Min/Ind.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

fergo

Are we stopped?
Dec 19, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I always thought the whole patriotic angle regarding cheering for a Canadian-based team solely because they're Canadian, and also because a Canadian team hasn't won since 1993 is pure BS. Especially when you consider that a good chunk of most NHL teams (never mind Canadian ones) are made up of non-Canadians. Hell, look at this season's Canucks team. Alternatively, if an American team has more Canadians on it than a Canadian team that made the final, which team should I cheer for? Which of the two would be deemed more patriotic?

My personal rule, which I've had since at least my early 20s if not earlier, is that I want my team to win the championship of whatever league they're playing in and every other team can go to Hell. I'm not going to cheer for the Edmonton Oilers because they're the only Canadian team left in the playoffs. I never cheered for them in the first place, dating back to when I was a child cheering for the original Winnipeg Jets. In a similar fashion, if the Winnipeg Blue Bombers were to get eliminated or didn't make the playoffs, I'm not going to all of a sudden cheer for another team, especially the Saskabush Cowtippers. NO! SCREW THEM! They can shove it up their combine harvesters if they don't like it.

When it comes to something like the Olympics, it's a different story. I'll gladly cheer for Canada in that instance, no matter the sport, but I'll also leave room to cheer on another team or athlete, particularly underdogs (think Latvia at last year's World Hockey Championships). When it comes to my favourite sports teams, on the other hand, it's my team or bust.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think the Oilers will beat Dallas, unfortunately. I don't really buy into Dallas's hype and think the Oilers will do enough on special teams to make up for the difference in 5v5 play

I'm picking a Florida/Oilers final, with Florida winning

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Even with the news that Kings and Devils positions have been filled, there are still three coaching spots available: Kraken, Sharks, & Jets. I'm a little surprised Dean Evason's name hasn't been out there more.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even with the news that Kings and Devils positions have been filled, there are still three coaching spots available: Kraken, Sharks, & Jets. I'm a little surprised Dean Evason's name hasn't been out there more.
Kraken probably the easiest to fill.
Sharks, still a long rebuild ahead of them. Any candidate has to wonder if they will be around to see the fruits of their work after a couple of bottom 5 finishes ahead of them.

Jets, always the question of building the roster with like the last place players want to be dealt to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the Oilers will beat Dallas, unfortunately. I don't really buy into Dallas's hype and think the Oilers will do enough on special teams to make up for the difference in 5v5 play

Think Dallas will win. Think they have pretty much better everything that Van had. And they took care of a top heavy Avs teams which is similar to how the oilers are constructed.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I always thought the whole patriotic angle regarding cheering for a Canadian-based team solely because they're Canadian, and also because a Canadian team hasn't won since 1993 is pure BS. Especially when you consider that a good chunk of most NHL teams (never mind Canadian ones) are made up of non-Canadians. Hell, look at this season's Canucks team. Alternatively, if an American team has more Canadians on it than a Canadian team that made the final, which team should I cheer for? Which of the two would be deemed more patriotic?

My personal rule, which I've had since at least my early 20s if not earlier, is that I want my team to win the championship of whatever league they're playing in and every other team can go to Hell. I'm not going to cheer for the Edmonton Oilers because they're the only Canadian team left in the playoffs. I never cheered for them in the first place, dating back to when I was a child cheering for the original Winnipeg Jets. In a similar fashion, if the Winnipeg Blue Bombers were to get eliminated or didn't make the playoffs, I'm not going to all of a sudden cheer for another team, especially the Saskabush Cowtippers. NO! SCREW THEM! They can shove it up their combine harvesters if they don't like it.

When it comes to something like the Olympics, it's a different story. I'll gladly cheer for Canada in that instance, no matter the sport, but I'll also leave room to cheer on another team or athlete, particularly underdogs (think Latvia at last year's World Hockey Championships). When it comes to my favourite sports teams, on the other hand, it's my team or bust.
I feel the same way most of the time. The only difference is when I'm in a hockey pool, then my loyalty goes Canucks -> teams that benefit my hockey pool ----> teams with ex-Canucks that I liked ----> most other teams ----------------------------------------------------> Flames/Oilers/Leafs/Bruins -----------------------------------> Hawks can go to hell.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do feel bad for him... sucks when players can't go out on their own term.
Also with the cap, the team doesn’t want the player back if he’s half the player production wise that he was. I mean both Suter and Parise would still be under contract to the Wild next season had they not been bought out. Parise has been a shell of what he once was but kept playing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Depends if they get dogshit goaltending (Oilers). Their diving/attempts to draw penalties won't work as good (even if refs like Sutherland are officiating the game) since the opposing team aren't the Canucks. Oilers live & die on their power play.

Last edited:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
It's great how the ghosts of Jimbo may live on and have laid a couple huge roadblocks in front of us with Dallas having Tanev instead of him being in his final year of his contract for Vancouver, and of course taking Klimovich over Stankoven.
Yeah. Picks sting but it’s hindsight, drafts are a crapshoot

Letting Tanev go when he remained one of the top defensive dmen (even in a down year) seemed strange. No less how respected he was as a leader to that team and mentor to the youngsters.

Even now at his age he’d make us better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad