Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Is it revisionism if you argued we’d regret losing Hyman when we did? To me he was the casualty of Dubas over paying the RFA’s, shave a little off those contracts, suddenly you can keep a heart and soul Hyman.

Don't forget.... this.... NEVER EVER FORGET THIS -> Dubas ruined the best chance Leafs had to win the cup

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The cap hit wasn’t the concern with Hyman, IIRC, it was the term.

And it was lauded as a risky contract at the time. Hyman’s work ethic and ability to grind were well noted but nobody could have predicted this large jump in offensive production with the Oilers, which is a large byproduct of playing with McDavid and their system.

Do not agree with this narrative. Leafs have no issues with money. They could have put Hyman on LTIR or Robidas Island if he wasn't able to play due to health/injury issues.

Although I do agree that McDavid's ability to get more out of his line mates is significantly more than Marner and/or Matthews. Especially Marner because Marner SUCKS! 11 AAV Vs McDavid's 13 AAV is stupid

So who is going to negotiate the new coaching deal for Rod the Bod ?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hyman was worth resigning, but Dubas only wanted marquee players making good money, might be his stupidest move letting him walk. “We can’t and we won’t…….”

empty cupboards and ruining the best chance leafs have had to win the cup; the MORONIC Kadri trade, etc...

the hilarious part of all this is that he didn't even want to take a pick for Hyman sign and trade; thats how STUPID he was/is

Marner gets run out of town.... four years later, leads the NHL in scoring in the playoffs, wins MVP, and LeafsNation on hfBoards goes nuts being mad at management for trading him. Always mad at the past.....

Correction: Many people here didn't wanna trade/ let Hyman walk as UFA; many folks here want Marner traded or walk as UFA :laugh:

there is a difference ;)

Reactions: Cleetus

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought Bunting was a pretty good recovery by Dubas for losing Hyman. Dubas screwed up so much, but signing Hyman into his mid 30s at $5.5, that was a hard sell for me.

Hyman has scored 26 playoff goals in 41 games over the course of the last 2 playoffs + current ones. Only Leon Draisaitl has scored more in the entire NHL with 29 goals in 41 games.

How much would you be willing to play Hyman per year based on these stats?

Our own Auston Matthews has scored 23 goals in 55 playoff games over 8 playoff years and he is about to become the highest paid player in the game.

Here are the best playoff goal scores last 3 years.

1716595809906.png

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Hyman has scored 26 playoff goals in 41 games over the course of the last 2 playoffs + current ones. Only Leon Draisaitl has scored more in the entire NHL with 29 goals in 41 games.

How much would you be willing to play Hyman per year based on these stats?

Our own Auston Matthews has scored 23 goals in 55 playoff games over 8 playoff years and he is about to become the highest paid player in the game.

Here are the best playoff goal scores last 3 years.

View attachment 875424
He scores garbage goals for Edmonton with 2 of the best passers in the game and a super potent PP. He would have none of that here. He was not a big playoff performer here. Plus, he was showing some signs of wear and tear with the injuries and paying him into his mid 30s didn't seem like the best idea. He probably wouldn't even get to be the net front guy in Toronto as Dubas has to try and justify paying Tavares $11 million. The joke is on us, we paid Tavares twice as much as Hyman and Hyman has been far more impactful. But I can't say I really regret passing on matching Edmonton. Better for Edmonton, better for the Leafs, and better for Hyman. All 3 parties benefitted from how it worked out.

Hyman isn't really a thumper either. He's far too kind to really try and hurt someone. He grinds and rubs you out, but never really blasts someone into next week. He doesn't play dirty at all.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He scores garbage goals for Edmonton with 2 of the best passers in the game and a super potent PP. He would have none of that here. He was not a big playoff performer here. Plus, he was showing some signs of wear and tear with the injuries and paying him into his mid 30s didn't seem like the best idea. He probably wouldn't even get to be the net front guy in Toronto as Dubas has to try and justify paying Tavares $11 million. The joke is on us, we paid Tavares twice as much as Hyman and Hyman has been far more impactful. But I can't say I really regret passing on matching Edmonton. Better for Edmonton, better for the Leafs, and better for Hyman. All 3 parties benefitted from how it worked out.

Hyman isn't really a thumper either. He's far too kind to really try and hurt someone. He grinds and rubs you out, but never really blasts someone into next week. He doesn't play dirty at all.

Ok so instead of 55 goals maybe he gets 30-40 here? That's still first line production. And also says more about our supposed superstar players than it does about Hyman as a goalscorer.

Everyone's been shit talking the guy since his rookie year in the league but all he's been doing is improving each and every year and making people eat their words.

Now all people are left with are hypothetical imaginationland "he wouldn't do this" "he wouldn't do that" levels of cope.

Probably one of the posters who called him "Babcocks son" :laugh:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
No, I was a fan of Hyman. But was happy we didn't give him that contract. He's totally worth that contract to Edmonton. So the joke is on me. But yes I think he's a much better fit on that team. These losers would bring him down to their level for the most part.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No, I was a fan of Hyman. But was happy we didn't give him that contract. He's totally worth that contract to Edmonton. So the joke is on me. But yes I think he's a much better fit on that team. These losers would bring him down to their level for the most part.

You're happy we let a homegrown player go and then have to turn around and pay Tyler Bertuzzi a market-rate 1-year deal for the same money doing 50% of what he does on both sides of the puck.

Weird take.

You may as well say I like watching great players leave for the team for nothing, replacing them with worse players.

Because that's what happened.

Reactions: Cleetus

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I don't do revisionist history. Otherwise, I'd tell you I'd draft Tom Brady in the 1st round. I'm telling you how I felt at the time. I didn't think Bertuzzi was worth his contract and I felt that when he first signed. I thought it was weird how so many on this board thought is was a great signing. You guys really overrated him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I don't do revisionist history. Otherwise, I'd tell you I'd draft Tom Brady in the 1st round. I'm telling you how I felt at the time. I didn't think Bertuzzi was worth his contract and I felt that when he first signed. I thought it was weird how so many on this board thought is was a great signing. You guys really overrated him.

Welcome to what it costs to get UFA top-six players in the NHL.

We lost a first-line player player who makes the same.

That's an absolute faceplant.

In fact, Bertuzzi is going to get more than Hyman now knowing full-well he isn't going to be seeking less money than the $5.5M he got a one-year deal.

Reactions: Cleetus and ToneDog

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Domi was a much better signing. That's what I felt at the time. Bertuzzi brings some stuff and he was good on that line with Matthews, but he just doesn't have the talent to really warrant that kind of pay.

Reactions: OddyOh and fahad203

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
We can't score more than 2 goals per game and we have to watch Hyman and Verhaeghe light the lamp. That's 20 for the pair.

We needed clutch guys, instead, we gave them away all away. Imagine if this roster still had Hyman, Verhaeghe, Kadri, and even Bunting? We would be a force to be reckoned with. Those were guys that bled blue and white and management shit on them to keep the shiny TikTok players. I still can't believe people consider Nylander 'clutch'. Verhaeghe is clutch, Hyman is clutch, and Nylander only shows up when there is zero pressure to do so. Clutch is scoring goals that eliminate rivals, not scoring goals to drag us back into a series where our putrid play already cost us dearly.

I genuinely hate this team of primadonnas. Watching players we drafted or traded for and subsequently developed succeed on other teams just demonstrates how incompetent our management has been for the last 20 years. A fool riding the TTC could have assembled a better roster. I still remember driving home from my summer job in 06 and 07 when the Leafs sold the farm on Raycroft and than Toskala in consecutive off-seasons. We haven't had a bonafide number 1 since Eddie. What was once a position of strength is now a goalie graveyard akin to the Flyers.

It legitimately pisses me off that the Oilers may have the best chance to bring the Cup back to Canada (I always fantasized it would be the Leafs) with Hyman on their roster.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We can't score more than 2 goals per game and we have to watch Hyman and Verhaeghe light the lamp. That's 20 for the pair.
Yeah who would have thought that the quote “there will be pain” would become more of a slogan for this team than anything.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad